Help Needed! Training Adult Bulldog to walk with leash.

kmbasham

Oct 22, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Carly
I have recently purchased a AKC 2 year old female English Bulldog. She has never been on a leash before and I have tried to get her to walk with one but as soon as I put it on her, she sits down and won't move at all. Any tips on what I can do?
Thanks for the help.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm going to tag some training experts for you, but I will give you some tips that have worked for me… I have taken my bullies to basic puppy training, and it seems w/the bulldogs they are treat motivated. I use a good harness, and a short leash… get her used to walking w/you just around the house on the leash. And if you can get her to do the "watch me" command… then try VERY short trips around the yard. Make sure to reward her each time that she keeps up w/you even if it's just a few steps… It may take time and practice, but hopefully she will come around. Good luck!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Excellent advice from ddnene. These guys can be very stubborn at times, they have a mind of their own and seem to do things when they want to. Lol. Just be persistent and keep getting her used to the leash.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online