Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So now it has happened what I was afraid of....

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

Default So now it has happened what I was afraid of....

...my boys had a fight over a bone and drew some blood. Until now the fights have bee mild and no injuries, but today Voitto had his teeth sunk in to Usko's jaw. Nothing bad, just a fe punctures, but still. Voitto also had his jaws around my arm at one point. Again only nicked the skin, but still... Voitto wll be ignored for a few days and they will also be separated for awhile. They get along very well usually, sleep almost on top of each other and play well, best buddiea really. With toy's they have to play by themselves and now bones can't be laying around eather. They can also get in to fight out of jealousy. Any other ideas, other than neutering one or both...?

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: So now it has happened what I was afraid of....

damn... so glad the injuries are not that bad. But, I think you have all the training pieces covered... sometimes, there are just things that cause them to be kept seperated when the item is out or available to them. As you stated, neutering one may help settle the jealousy, but not necessarily a guarntee.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

@RiiSi Mine all get along most of the time. I never give them any type of bones or antlers, as I know that would cause trouble. Sometimes they get into a "fight"
    over a toy, and I have to stop it quickly, as I know it would escalate. Mine are all spayed females. The problem with mine is sometimes one always wants toy

the other one has, even if there are more the same. Other times they just go get another toy. Maude is the worst for that-she will sit on Martha's head first, to see if that works! I have found that in all animals, there are always some that think they should be boss!
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    April
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jovi
    Likes (Received)

Yeah Jovi and our Chihuahua Bella do this. Jovi usually tried to steal ANYTHING she is chewing on and Bella doesn't like that so she growls to send a warning and Jovi doesn't budge and bella attacks her. We usually just take their toys and bones away and they get along great.... I have always been told not to give them any bones if they are like this :/

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

I have the same problem. No bones are allowed. Sometimes I will give them a treat but both of them enjoy their treat in their crates. Frankie is possessive of dog beds and will growl, so no beds either. Otherwise, they are the best of friends. It is all about knowing the limitations of your bullies. Now you know that bones will bring out aggressiveness so you can give them something else. I'm glad it wasn't worse and this is by no means a bad reflection on your boys. They are quirky crazy dogs.
    My smooshy face boy!

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

I agree with others, mine also get along 99% of the time, and Blossom is usually the Diva and the Boss, she is in play ,ode 24/7 and is lays ramming Dozer when they are playing. She will take Dozers toys away from him, even though they have two of every Kong toy, lol. Dozer is my lazy laid back guy, and prefers to sleep and cuddle, but also like to play, but only for 15 or 20 minutes and then he's done. He doesn't really care what Blossom does, he will let her have all the toys when she takes them, but when I see she is getting too rough, I will stop them or separate them, because Dozer doesn't play rough back, and so he can get picked on. They don't get aggressive or fight over food. The only other time I see them get jealous of each other is when we are out on a walk and people pet them, they both want the attention, and Blossom will get a little rough with Dozer and try to push him away. They aren't jealous with us at home though.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Oh Riikka, it's so scary when bulldogs fight. I would imagine Voitto is feeling
    his maturing hormones & also, challenging the 'old lion', Usko. I'm so thankful
    they (and you) weren't seriously hurt! Not really sure neutering will help unless
    BOTH are neutered and even then, not a certainty. It's such a blessing they love
    each other, I don't believe your boys intend to hurt one another, bullies don't
    know their incredible strength. You've got two fabulous, wonderful boys <3
    Will pray over this issue, Honey...keep us updated!

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

Sorry that happened, and glad you were not hurt worse. I think we all have been the one time or another. I think at this point, neutering one or both will not help anything. They will still fight. The only thing you can do is watch for the triggers and try to stop it before it starts. We have to do the same thing with our females.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Country
    en_US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sully and Bronx
    Likes (Received)

Default So now it has happened what I was afraid of....

I'm having this same problem, in fact I just posted about this. Tomorrow I'm having both of my boys neutered. They are father and son and can no longer be in the same room for more than 15 mins without fighting. It isn't over a particular object or treat it food, Bronx the 15 month son stares at 3 year old sully. Sully then comes unglued and goes after Bronx, Bronx is bigger and puts sully down and bites him many times drawing blood. What makes you think that neutering won't work.... What will????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by lorieklinger View Post
    I'm having this same problem, in fact I just posted about this. Tomorrow I'm having both of my boys neutered. They are father and son and can no longer be in the same room for more than 15 mins without fighting. It isn't over a particular object or treat it food, Bronx the 15 month son stares at 3 year old sully. Sully then comes unglued and goes after Bronx, Bronx is bigger and puts sully down and bites him many times drawing blood. What makes you think that neutering won't work.... What will????

Neutering will lessen the issue, but training and establishing alpha with them is a must.... especially the age of your two, they are fighting for pack lead and you need to make sure they know the humans are the lead and set their place in the pack order.
    e.

Country
    en_US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sully and Bronx
    Likes (Received)

I just got word from the vet that they are unable to perform the surgery on Bronx, apparently he has a heart murmur and our vet said he is not comfortable putting him under without further testing.

Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by lorieklinger View Post
    I just got word from the vet that they are unable to perform the surgery on Bronx, apparently he has a heart murmur and our vet said he is not comfortable putting him under without further testing.

Oh no.... I will tag two memebrs that have knowledge of murmurs ...
    e.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads