General Question So now it has happened what I was afraid of....

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
...my boys had a fight over a bone and drew some blood. Until now the fights have bee mild and no injuries, but today Voitto had his teeth sunk in to Usko's jaw. Nothing bad, just a fe punctures, but still. Voitto also had his jaws around my arm at one point. Again only nicked the skin, but still... Voitto wll be ignored for a few days and they will also be separated for awhile. They get along very well usually, sleep almost on top of each other and play well, best buddiea really. With toy's they have to play by themselves and now bones can't be laying around eather. They can also get in to fight out of jealousy. Any other ideas, other than neutering one or both...?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
damn... so glad the injuries are not that bad. But, I think you have all the training pieces covered... sometimes, there are just things that cause them to be kept seperated when the item is out or available to them. As you stated, neutering one may help settle the jealousy, but not necessarily a guarntee.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
@RiiSi Mine all get along most of the time. I never give them any type of bones or antlers, as I know that would cause trouble. Sometimes they get into a "fight"
over a toy, and I have to stop it quickly, as I know it would escalate. Mine are all spayed females. The problem with mine is sometimes one always wants toy

the other one has, even if there are more the same. Other times they just go get another toy. Maude is the worst for that-she will sit on Martha's head first, to see if that works! I have found that in all animals, there are always some that think they should be boss!

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
Yeah Jovi and our Chihuahua Bella do this. Jovi usually tried to steal ANYTHING she is chewing on and Bella doesn't like that so she growls to send a warning and Jovi doesn't budge and bella attacks her. We usually just take their toys and bones away and they get along great.... I have always been told not to give them any bones if they are like this :/

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I have the same problem. No bones are allowed. Sometimes I will give them a treat but both of them enjoy their treat in their crates. Frankie is possessive of dog beds and will growl, so no beds either. Otherwise, they are the best of friends. It is all about knowing the limitations of your bullies. Now you know that bones will bring out aggressiveness so you can give them something else. I'm glad it wasn't worse and this is by no means a bad reflection on your boys. They are quirky crazy dogs.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I agree with others, mine also get along 99% of the time, and Blossom is usually the Diva and the Boss, she is in play ,ode 24/7 and is lays ramming Dozer when they are playing. She will take Dozers toys away from him, even though they have two of every Kong toy, lol. Dozer is my lazy laid back guy, and prefers to sleep and cuddle, but also like to play, but only for 15 or 20 minutes and then he's done. He doesn't really care what Blossom does, he will let her have all the toys when she takes them, but when I see she is getting too rough, I will stop them or separate them, because Dozer doesn't play rough back, and so he can get picked on. They don't get aggressive or fight over food. The only other time I see them get jealous of each other is when we are out on a walk and people pet them, they both want the attention, and Blossom will get a little rough with Dozer and try to push him away. They aren't jealous with us at home though.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Oh Riikka, it's so scary when bulldogs fight. I would imagine Voitto is feeling
his maturing hormones & also, challenging the 'old lion', Usko. I'm so thankful
they (and you) weren't seriously hurt! Not really sure neutering will help unless
BOTH are neutered and even then, not a certainty. It's such a blessing they love
each other, I don't believe your boys intend to hurt one another, bullies don't
know their incredible strength. You've got two fabulous, wonderful boys <3
Will pray over this issue, Honey...keep us updated!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Sorry that happened, and glad you were not hurt worse. I think we all have been the one time or another. I think at this point, neutering one or both will not help anything. They will still fight. The only thing you can do is watch for the triggers and try to stop it before it starts. We have to do the same thing with our females.

lorieklinger

Dec 22, 2014
Country
en_US
Bulldog(s) Names
Sully and Bronx
I'm having this same problem, in fact I just posted about this. Tomorrow I'm having both of my boys neutered. They are father and son and can no longer be in the same room for more than 15 mins without fighting. It isn't over a particular object or treat it food, Bronx the 15 month son stares at 3 year old sully. Sully then comes unglued and goes after Bronx, Bronx is bigger and puts sully down and bites him many times drawing blood. What makes you think that neutering won't work.... What will????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I'm having this same problem, in fact I just posted about this. Tomorrow I'm having both of my boys neutered. They are father and son and can no longer be in the same room for more than 15 mins without fighting. It isn't over a particular object or treat it food, Bronx the 15 month son stares at 3 year old sully. Sully then comes unglued and goes after Bronx, Bronx is bigger and puts sully down and bites him many times drawing blood. What makes you think that neutering won't work.... What will????

Neutering will lessen the issue, but training and establishing alpha with them is a must.... especially the age of your two, they are fighting for pack lead and you need to make sure they know the humans are the lead and set their place in the pack order.

lorieklinger

Dec 22, 2014
Country
en_US
Bulldog(s) Names
Sully and Bronx
I just got word from the vet that they are unable to perform the surgery on Bronx, apparently he has a heart murmur and our vet said he is not comfortable putting him under without further testing.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I just got word from the vet that they are unable to perform the surgery on Bronx, apparently he has a heart murmur and our vet said he is not comfortable putting him under without further testing.

Oh no.... I will tag two memebrs that have knowledge of murmurs ...

lorieklinger

Dec 22, 2014
Country
en_US
Bulldog(s) Names
Sully and Bronx
Our vet said it's not an emergency situation but before he can undergo surgery he will need and EKG done so we can find out why he has this murmur. They gave him a sedative to prepare him for surgery today and his heart rate dropped very low they gave him atropine to bring it back up and examined him further and called us. We will definitely be investigating this further. We want Bronx with us for a very long time!!

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
Our vet said it's not an emergency situation but before he can undergo surgery he will need and EKG done so we can find out why he has this murmur. They gave him a sedative to prepare him for surgery today and his heart rate dropped very low they gave him atropine to bring it back up and examined him further and called us. We will definitely be investigating this further. We want Bronx with us for a very long time!!

you are already doing what I would suggest by getting the echo. Not much more information to pass along until you get the results. I have two with murmurs, grade 3 and after the echo were diagnosed with pulmonic stenosis, one severe, one moderate. Both of my boys were diagnosed at 10 weeks and 5 months. Sebastian has severe PS and he was only supposed to live to be 18 months but just celebrated his 4th birthday on Sunday. Remy is moderate and he turned 3 in October. With the right care and regular medical checkups they can have a very fulfilling life

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.