cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
For the past two nights in a row, Finn has shown aggression towards Tate. This happens when they are both falling asleep on my bed. Tate will move around to find a comfy position and this PO's Finn. Then, Finn will lunge over to Tate and a fight will happen. Last night I just had it. I was so mad at Finn and I got his leash and put him in his crate, something i hardly ever do b/c i don't like associating his crate with punishment. But, I was on my last straw, basically. His crate is in another bedroom and after putting him in there, I shut the door. I left him there for <10minutes. When i went to get him he looked very scared. He walked out of his crate with his head down. I felt so terrible b/c i know I didn't handle this well or productively at all. After talking to him, i brought him back to bed and he pretty much behaved for the rest of the night.

I'm realizing one thing that i'm not doing and that is exercising Finn on a regular basis. Every evening after dinner I've been taking Tate out for a short walk, but not Finn. The reason being, when Finn sees me with the leash, he runs away, hides under the bed. And i've been allowing him to get away with it. Last night we actually did go for a short walk but that's b/c i had to "force" Finn to go. I know i need to walk Finn more and maybe for longer periods in the evening which maybe will help him with his frustration/anger towards Tate. I don't know. I tell others to exercise their bullys on a regular basis yet here I am not even doing it. :(

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Blue hates his harness, lead, collar etc. So I get it. But I agree with you, if he get enough exercise, I think it will help the aggression.

Blues runs to his crate around walking time every day like clockwork. So I started closing his escape route. Door and baby gate locked. He cowers, and even shakes sometimes. But once it's on and we're outside, he's fine. It's just those first few minutes. I know it's really hard to see them like this, and we just want to baby and protect them, but we're not doing any favors by giving in. Stay strong!! We're here for ya.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maybe Finn's associating the leash with punishment because you said after that happened you grabbed the leash put it on him and put him in his crate. I would just put him in his crate and not grab the leash anymore. I think it would be good if Finn went with you 2 every time you walk, I bet it would cut down on the disputes for sure. I hope Finn behaves better.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Henny -- you are right on! Also, make sure the pups get into bed AFTER you and you invite them on. Banks has to wait till I tell her 'up'... if not, she goes right after Cheli when he goes to get on the bed. Even if I go in and she is already on the bed sleeping.. I make get get off, and then I get in bed, Cheli behind me and then I say 'Banks - up' and she goes back to her place. This does not happen often, most of the time if I am late going to bed, she is up there laying in her crate waiting for me to come in

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
@Blueberrys Mom, yup, I have bn babying Finn. Sometimes when he does go outside to start our walk he will lay on his tummy. In the past I hustled him back inside and gave up. But last night when he did that again, I lifted his body up and kept prodding him to walk, which he did.
@dolphin, you're right about the leash. I didn't even think of that last night! Finn already is not keen on that thing and I'm sure I didn't help with last nights incident. Also Phil, if Finn doesn't shape up soon, you may find him on your doorstep !
@2BullyMama, I'm going to start inviting them on my bed starting tonight. I haven't bn doing that. I found when Finn is on there before Tate, Finn is very territorial and will scare Tate to not come up. I am gonna start having Tate on the bed b4 Finn.

thanks guys!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.