Super confused

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
Chubbs has been doing well with potty training. However, he's started peeing on a rug again. Also, every day he will pee very close to his food & water. I thought dogs like to keep that area clean. Am I wrong? :(

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Chubbs has been doing well with potty training. However, he's started peeing on a rug again. Also, every day he will pee very close to his food & water. I thought dogs like to keep that area clean. Am I wrong? :(

Hi there! How old is Chubbs?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Hmmm he's still pretty young… I would say go back to basics on the potty training, take him out often. I would also remove rugs, towels or anything that he can get ahold of. I agree that MOST dogs will not go near their food, but hopefully this is just a faze and he will get past this soon!!! If he keeps this up (and it's very unusual) you may want a vet check to make sure he doesn't have a UTI...

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Ok that explains a lot, I bet he plays a lot, drinks a lot and sleeps a lot right now. Lol!

As long as he's not peeing too much it's normal for him to just pee when and where he wants, when a young pup has got to go, they gotta go. As far as peeing by food and water, that doesn't really hold true at that age unless they are in his "den".

I take my pups out a minimum of once every two hours during the day, and after any hard play time, and after meals, and right when they get up from a nap. Following those rules it could be 30-45 minutes between potty breaks or if a long nap up to 2-3 hours.

Praise heavily each time he potties outside. If he pees inside don't scold him, preferably clean it up in front of him, and whimper like a sad puppy. Don't give him any attention while you do this. Focus on the mess and focus your negative energy at the mess.

Puppies love attention. (Even negative attention). But they don't like you to be sad. So this helps them understand "they love it when I potty outside, but are sad when I potty inside".

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Ok that explains a lot, I bet he plays a lot, drinks a lot and sleeps a lot right now. Lol!

As long as he's not peeing too much it's normal for him to just pee when and where he wants, when a young pup has got to go, they gotta go. As far as peeing by food and water, that doesn't really hold true at that age unless they are in his "den".

I take my pups out a minimum of once every two hours during the day, and after any hard play time, and after meals, and right when they get up from a nap. Following those rules it could be 30-45 minutes between potty breaks or if a long nap up to 2-3 hours.

Praise heavily each time he potties outside. If he pees inside don't scold him, preferably clean it up in front of him, and whimper like a sad puppy. Don't give him any attention while you do this. Focus on the mess and focus your negative energy at the mess.

Puppies love attention. (Even negative attention). But they don't like you to be sad. So this helps them understand "they love it when I potty outside, but are sad when I potty inside".

^^^^ agreed!

OP
binxrexchubbs

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.

Yes, he definitely still does all of that, lol. His food & water are in another room.

I take him out about every 2 hours. Actually, very similar to your schedule. Seems as though I need to praise much more outside. Gonna have to start bringing treats.

Thanks so very much for your help! :D

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
You got great advice from Tracey and Lisa. Rule of thumb is a puppy can hold its bladder one hour for every month of age, so by the time he's 5 months old, he should be able to hold for 5 to 6 hours. Put him on a strict schedule for now, take him out once every 1 to 2 hours, and each week or two increase it by an hour until he learns to hold. Also we would set our cell phone alarm for 2:00 am for a potty break because its too long of a time to hold his bladder all night.

Hi when I was training my two guys, this is the schedule I used

Re: Potty training help?

Hi, the general rule of thumb for a puppy is that they can hold their bladder for 1 hour over their age, so a 2 month old puppy can hold for 3 hours, a 4 month old puppy can hold for 5 hours, and they should be totally trained by 5 months old, and can hold for 6 hours by this age. Puppy training is mostly consistency and schedule. This is the schedule we used for our guys when they were puppies, and it worked really well.

It took us 5 months to fully potty train. The general rule is that they should be able to hold 1 hour for every month of age, so that by the time they are 5 months they should be able to hold for 6 hours. We used a pretty strict schedule for training our guys, until they were trained. Here is the schedule that worked for us.

For potty training, we just used a schedule, this is what we did and they were trained by the time they were 5 months old, and we've never had a accident in the house.

Hi new Bully parents, my name is Monica, and I have 2 English Bulldog pups, they are both 9 months old, and are brother and sister, their names are Bulldozer and Blossom. I've noticed a lot of new puppy owners have posted questions regarding potty training for their new babies. Since my 2 are now 9 months old, and I have been through this already, I thought I might share what worked for us. The puppy stage is very much like having a baby in the house, the training takes time and patience, and sleepless nights, but it is a temporary phase. The best thing that you can do to make potty training go smooth and without accidents is to first crate train your new baby, this will make your life much easier. Crate training your pup is not a cruel thing to do, they actually learn that the crate is a safe place. You can use it for sleeping, and for a safe place to put puppy in when you can't watch or supervise them, and for when you need to go out. The other important thing to do for successful puppy training is establishing a schedule. This worked the best for us, and our babies were fully trained by 5 months old. The schedule that worked for us was:

6 am: Take puppy out for their first pee and poop of the day

7 am: Feed puppy breakfast 1/3 of a cup kibble mixed with water.
Place puppy back in crate for 10 mins to let tummy settle after eating.
Then take puppy out for potty again.

7 am: From 7 am to 2 pm take your puppy out every hour or two throughout the day , and increase the
time by an hour each week , so they learn to hold.

2 pm: Feed puppy lunch 1/3 of a cup of kibble mixed with water.
Place puppy in crate for 10 mins to let tummy settle after eating.
Then take puppy out for potty again.

2 pm: From 2 pm to 8 pm, take your puppy out every hour or two during the day.

8 pm: Feed puppy dinner 1/3 of a cup of kibble mixed with water.
Place puppy back in crate of 10 mins to,let tummy settle after eating.
Then take puppy out again.

8 pm: From 8 pm to 11 pm , take your puppy out every hour or two, until around 11 pm or 11:30 pm.
The last pee and poo break will be at around 11 pm before you go to bed.
Take your puppy's water away around 8 or 9 pm, otherwise you will have many accidents throughout
the night.

2 am: We would set our cell phone for 2 am to go out for a pee. The time between 11 pm and 6 am when
they go out for their first pee is too long for the new puppy to hold, but again this a temporary phase,
and the puppy will eventually be able to hold all night. This happened for us when the pups were 5
months old. After they were 5 months old, we were able to eliminate the 2 am outing, and they were
able to hold for 4 or 5 hours at a time during the day.

I hope this helps any new puppy owner that has maybe never owned a pup before, and doesn't know how to train a puppy, or anyone who has a new puppy and is struggling to train them. At first it's like you are training when the puppies will go, but eventually they will tell you when they need to go out, they will either go to the door, or bark, or whine, my female Blossom will whine, when she wants out, my male Dozer will bark. Another thing to do is take your puppy out before and after they play, as they will always go pee after they have been excited.

Good luck to everyone, and remember this is a temporary phase , your puppy will be trained before
You know it. Enjoy your new baby

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The schedule we use now that they are older is:

6:00 am Go out for Potty, they usually do both

6:30 am Eat Breakfast

10:00 am Go for a walk, and potty breaks

2:00 pm Go out for potty breaks

6:00 pm Eat dinner

6:30 pm Go out for a walk, and potty breaks

10:00 or 11:00 pm out for last walk and potty breaks

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online