Body slamming bulldog

Marubadu

Jul 27, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sammy
Hi all,
Johns been acting weird. He wont come out of his room unless I'm home. He's very attached to me and pays little to no attention to anyone else unless I'm around. He runs away from my wife and son like they're the devil. (They're not) He's been making small strides, he'll play with her when I'm around. Fetch, hide and seek. And she does this thing where she claps her hands and calls him and he'll run and throw his body at her like, well, a body slam. It doesn't seem aggressive as he'll go get his toy and wiggle and do it over and over.

I guess what I need to know is how to make him more comfortable with the other members of my family and if the body slamming is some dominance thing.

Other than that he's awesome and sweet and very well behaved.

photo 1.JPGphoto.JPG

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
My boy runs at me expecting me to catch him which I always do been doing it since he was a puppy!

R.I.P Duece Man I miss you so much!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
"body slamming" is part of their play, it is what they do... almost like bumper cars. does you wife/son walk John or feed him? Every bully will be more attached to one person in the house, but they should still interact with all the others.

Go for a walk together and let your wife and/or son hold the leash instead of you.... also, take turns feeding him

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I absolutely love that face! He's got such an original look, way to cute! What a rope!

I agree with 2bullymama have your wife and son take turns feeding him and walking him I bet that will help things out.

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
When your wife and son are feeding him have him eat the kibble out of their hands and maybe put an article of their clothing in with him when he sleeps - hope it works out for you all

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
Omg with that face I'd keep him all to myself!! He is adorable aaahhh!!!

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

OP
Marubadu

Marubadu

Jul 27, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sammy
Omg with that face I'd keep him all to myself!! He is adorable aaahhh!!!

Thanks for the replies I will try all of this and report back the results.

P

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
Might want to post some more pics while youre at it ;) ;)

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
Oh my goodness thank yoooouuu!! He is ridiculously cute.

mackbob

Sep 1, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bob (Bobman)
Bulldogs have a particular way that they play. It's very..... Aggro. However, not all dogs/people like that 'style' of play. And my puppy has learned to play "bulldog" style with his bulldog brother, and play calmer with his smaller coton de tulear (white furry guy) brother. If you'd prefer he doesn't body slam you just stop playing (maybe squeal) and walk away when he does it. He will figure out pretty soon no one wants to play if he plays like that! As for being attached to you, and ignoring them - well he's treating them like members of the pack that he's not interested in. I believe he feels that he is dominant over them - so that's what needs to be worked on. They both need to establish their dominance over him and these issues will likely disappear. and i do think the body slamming is dominance too.

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online