Regressing on Potty Training

OpieRay

Aug 19, 2014
Nevada
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Opie
Hello, I looked through the threads on this subject and didn't really find anything that helped me out to much on our current issue. If you guys could help or direct me to a thread that would help that would be awesome!

Our little guy Opie has taken a step backward. We felt like we had him potty trained and were just ecstatic that he would hold his pee and alert us when he needed to go. But now it's not like that. It seemed like over night he started peeing when we were gone again, for 2-3 hours max.
He will just stop what he is doing and pee where he stands in front of us, when he used to go to the door and grunt at us to let him out.
Same with at night, if he needed to pee he would grunt or bark at us in his crate and we would let him out. Now he will just pee with no warning at all.

Opie will be 5 months on the 21st.

I feel like we are back at square one and we have become so frustrated. It has been like this for about 4 days now.
We have stayed consistent with his training and have praised him for all the good he does. Any help or advice would be great.
Thank you in advance.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Have you took him to the vet to check for uti?
Also bullies are notorious for doing step backs-lilly even tho shes now over year old seem to forget at times -that she got to ask for potty or hold it in
But keep at it with your training -it it isnt uti or stones - its just a bully thing and it will pass x

OP
OpieRay

OpieRay

Aug 19, 2014
Nevada
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Opie
This morning I was considering a possible infection but than I looked on here and other websites for symptoms and nothing has stood out to me. I will keep an eye on him and see if it gets worse or better.
I'm thinking he's just been having a bad week.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Totally normal, they will do that and you just need to go back to basics with the training. Be patient, he will get there. Even once they become adults, they will have an accident every once in awhile.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agree with Pati and David... They do this sometimes and you need to go back to the beginning. Also, just because there are no sign he could have a UTI it is a little different for boys and not as common... Keep watch like you said

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Agree with all above have said, I've adopted bullies, both as adults,
both regressed 2 or 3 times w/long periods of time potty trained.
As stated, go back to basics, try not to get angry or show frustration
(doesn't help w/bullies) just calm, loving & consistent training. No
sofa or bed privileges until going potty outside, they get that! And...
give 'over the top' praise & special, really yummy treat ONLY when
they signal and/or go outside. They DO finally get it tho so hang in
there! Do keep watch for UTI or such...let us know & GOOD LUCK!

OP
OpieRay

OpieRay

Aug 19, 2014
Nevada
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Opie
Thank you very much guys. Last night we went back to way over praising him and getting him excited about peeing outside. It seemed to help so far!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.