Housetraining issue

VIBlondie

Dec 9, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Hi all! This is my first post here but I've been stalking for awhile. Have the most hilarious 11-month old English bulldog named Daisy, who has been a nightmare house training. We live in an apartment and she has finally grasped the idea that she needs to go outside - either on the balcony or when I take her outside - but if the balcony door is closed, she'll just go right next to the door. She gives no indication that she needs to go. No whining, no barking, no anything. I use positive reinforcement when she goes outside. I've tried the bells on the door but she doesn't really seem to get it and they drive my husband crazy. She's transitioned to sleeping outside her crate most of the time. She can go all day without having an accident, so I don't think it's health-related. She just goes when she wants to. Any ideas?

Attachments

• Daisy.jpg
    Daisy.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 139
OP
V

VIBlondie

Dec 9, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
I take her out when I get home which is anywhere between 3 pm and 5 pm. I'll then take her out again a couple hours later, and then again before going to bed. As long as the balcony door is open, she can come and go as she pleases and will go outside. If it's closed, she'll go to the bathroom right in front of the door. I just wish that she'd whine, or bark, or something!

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
You could actually teach her scratching or barking at the door - my deaf dog scratches and lilly (hearing) barks so i know which one need to go when im upstairs
It is a simple thing to do - when its her time for potty , grab a treat and once she is by the door and "busting" to go out -keep asking her "wanna go potty (or however you call your cue word when you take her out) and keep repeating it in a happy voice- most likely she will get agitated and impatient and starts barking -give a treat , use cue word "potty (or whatever you used ) & good girl
If you stick to this - giving treat each time -she will soon learn that letting you know that she needs to go out means tasty treat for her -once she gets it start reducing treats but continue praise her -and then give her a treat once in a while
(For a gentle reminder) x

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Welcome to EBN, Blondie (my own nickname from long ago) & Daisy.
What a beauty, Congratulations!

I just posted in another thread on the two bullies I've had and this issue.
Neither ever showed signs or vocalized either, it drove me insane too.
As Patty said, they will eventually learn to do this, be patient, calm & consistent.
Praise effusively (I mean, over the top) when they bark, scratch, whine and/or
go potty outside and ALWAYS, give high value treat for just that action.

My Cami finally will go to the door, if I'm not paying attention, gives one short bark
and potties outside. She came to me at 5 y/o, now 6 & a half, never thought I'd see
these behaviors from her! She'd do good awhile then regress, it was so frustrating!!
These went on it seemed forever, finally, she just decided to do it. Make them think
it's THEIR idea and that THEY want to do it (for that yummy treat), Good luck!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN! Daisy is adorable. Pati and Carol gave you great advice

OP
V

VIBlondie

Dec 9, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Thank you for these tips! I will definitely try your idea, Pati Robins! Will keep you posted. Am so thankful for this forum!

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Thank you for these tips! I will definitely try your idea, Pati Robins! Will keep you posted. Am so thankful for this forum!

You are very welcome x let me know in few weeks or so how did it go xx
Forum is fantastic -members here are like big family x

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hi,
Welcome. You will be amazed with the amount of answers you will get for your question. Read as much as you can, boil down all suggestions into what is common amongst them. You will find it to be patience, patience, practice, patience. praise, practice, praise..repeat.
Might fine advice above. I concur.

H

HoldenIron

My Abraham is driving us nuts too. He doesn't have an accident for days and then all of a sudden he will go in the house two or three times in one day. Or even worse we let him out to go and waits till he comes back inside to go.

OP
V

VIBlondie

Dec 9, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
I know how you feel! She does really good for awhile…and then reverts.

She's slowly getting better - thanks for all of the help here. It's a good thing she's cute!

My Abraham is driving us nuts too. He doesn't have an accident for days and then all of a sudden he will go in the house two or three times in one day. Or even worse we let him out to go and waits till he comes back inside to go.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online