What's with the sniffing??

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
OK, so Blue's always been a sniffer. He likes to get up close and personal to other dogs, and hangs out there forever sniffing. When that's not enough, he'll even go in for a lick, or two, or three...
As you can imagine, it really upsets other dogs and they try to get away. But Blue can't have that, and chases them down to do some more sniffing, and if necessary a little humping :facepalm2: :ashamed:

In comes Wellie. I thought were were going to have a problem with Blue and his sniffing obsession. Strangely enough, he acted like a normal dog around Wellie. A few quick sniffs and he was done.

Thing is, apparently Wellie's also a sniffer. He's no better than Blue!! Just as obsessive, and will chase down other dogs just to get another whiff. Between the both of them, we've had to switch dog parks- it's very embarrassing :eek::eek:.

Is this a common Bulldog thing, or is it because neither is neutered? I noticed that they're normal around each other, and the one other intact dog in our neighborhood so I'm kinda lost as to what's going on.

They're both going to be neutered on the 15th. I'm hoping it's going to curb this crazy behavior but I can't be sure. Anyone have similar issues?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
intertesting.... I have not noticed it with any of my pups, but I do know Cheli is ALWAYS sniffing Banks' butt when we are in the yard. Not so much in the house, but when outside, he seems to not be able to stop himself from going in for a sniff or lick.

edit to add... found this on the web

[h=2]Powerful Sense of Smell[/h]Humans canā€™t completely understand all the information a dog gets from smelling another dogā€™s butt. At least 33 percent of a dogā€™s brain is designed to process smells, as opposed to about 5 percent of a humanā€™s brain. A dogā€™s sense of smell is so powerful that he can tell, for example, whether the dog before him in the veterinarianā€™s examination room was afraid, just by the smell the previous dog left behind.

[h=2]They Can't Shake Hands[/h]Dogs sniff butts to greet each other, much as humans do by shaking hands. Dogs have anal glands just inside their rectums, which produce a strong odor. Dogs can find out all sorts of information just by getting a whiff back there. They can find out the sex of the other dog, whether the dog is in heat, what the dog ate lately and whether the encounter is likely to be a friendly one. Because the smell is unique to each dog, butt sniffing is the best way dogs have to identify each other.

[h=2]It Calms and Grounds Them[/h]When a dog already knows about the other dog from a prior sniffing, he still smells the other dog every time they meet. Two dogs who live together typically smell each otherā€™s butts when they come in from outside. So butt sniffing has another purpose: itā€™s also a dog calming mechanism, according to Kevin Behan, a Vermont dog trainer and author. Anytime something new happensā€”especially something stressfulā€”dogs tend to sniff each otherā€™s behinds. It satisfies the urge to do something, and it grounds them.

[h=2]Dogs Might Get into Trouble[/h]Some dogs, when meeting another dog for the first time, are enthusiastic sniffers. But the dog being sniffed might not take too kindly to all that focused attention. Whenever your dog is meeting another dog, be attentive. If the butt smelling is an unwelcome gesture, itā€™s time to separate the dogs.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Your question has been answered by [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] ! It wasn't too long ago that [MENTION=8322]baxter[/MENTION]Tiberious had a question/problem with his boy!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
this is the one that surprised me... never knew this at all

It Calms and Grounds Them

When a dog already knows about the other dog from a prior sniffing, he still smells the other dog every time they meet. Two dogs who live together typically smell each otherā€™s butts when they come in from outside. So butt sniffing has another purpose: itā€™s also a dog calming mechanism, according to Kevin Behan, a Vermont dog trainer and author. Anytime something new happensā€”especially something stressfulā€”dogs tend to sniff each otherā€™s behinds. It satisfies the urge to do something, and it grounds them.

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
this is the one that surprised me... never knew this at all

It Calms and Grounds Them

When a dog already knows about the other dog from a prior sniffing, he still smells the other dog every time they meet. Two dogs who live together typically smell each otherā€™s butts when they come in from outside. So butt sniffing has another purpose: itā€™s also a dog calming mechanism, according to Kevin Behan, a Vermont dog trainer and author. Anytime something new happensā€”especially something stressfulā€”dogs tend to sniff each otherā€™s behinds. It satisfies the urge to do something, and it grounds them.

Interesting.
But they don't sniff each other when coming in. In fact, they hardly sniff each other. Maybe once or twice a day, when Wellie's laying all spread out, Blue will take a sniff. Other than that, neither have an interest usually.

The butt sniffing is definitely an unwelcome gesture. That's why we've changed dog parks. Just wish I knew how to make it stop. Pulling them away does nothing. As soon as I let go, they chase the other dog down and it starts all over.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I have always figured that when they sniff each other-they see a movie in their head of where the other has been and what they did. Just sayin.......I've always been weird that way.....I get in their head.......but I personally don't sniff butts, well yeah sometimes just to check out their glands :bad: Only dogs.............

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I have always figured that when they sniff each other-they see a movie in their head of where the other has been and what they did. Just sayin.......I've always been weird that way.....I get in their head.......but I personally don't sniff butts, well yeah sometimes just to check out their glands :bad: Only dogs.............

Ya sure about that? lol.. :lol:

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Interesting.
But they don't sniff each other when coming in. In fact, they hardly sniff each other. Maybe once or twice a day, when Wellie's laying all spread out, Blue will take a sniff. Other than that, neither have an interest usually.

The butt sniffing is definitely an unwelcome gesture. That's why we've changed dog parks. Just wish I knew how to make it stop. Pulling them away does nothing. As soon as I let go, they chase the other dog down and it starts all over.

Maybe ask the trainer you are working with.... I've been reading different sites while eating lunch and they are all stating pretty much the same thing.

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Maybe ask the trainer you are working with.... I've been reading different sites while eating lunch and they are all stating pretty much the same thing.

I've just never seen dogs sniff this much. Was wondering if it's a bulldog trait, or maybe cause they're not neutered?

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
@Blueberrys Mom you have just described Bifi! He would go right up there and personal. If he could stick his head right in there he would. When he would sniff bigger dogs, his entire head would disappear. It doesn't really bother me much because i know that's how they get to know each other but sometimes it takes too long then like you said, the licking would pursue then sometimes comes the humping. Most dog owners here they don't mind and would even tell me "let them set their boundaries on their own, she'll show him what and what's not acceptable". If all dog owners are like that, it's well and good but unfortunately there are people (infact there is a group of people here who doesn't like it when their dogs are being sniffed from behind even though the dogs themselves don't mind) who are ignorant, for lack of a better word to describe them.

Bifi, thankfully, doesn't hump every dog he meets. But he is obsessed with this other dog that belongs to that group that i just mentioned. He would go crazy over her, run after her, chase her all over and the owner would be puffing and screaming haha. I don't know how to correct this. From what i read it is better to have another dog correct this kind of behavior? but i dont know. With intact males he knows where he stands, he would sniff then that's it. I'm also thinking this excessive sniffing could also be because Bifi is still a "teenager", you know maybe hormones comes into play too?

@2BullyMama that was very interesting to read that it calms and grounds them. Hmmm but i can't help thinking it has the opposite effect on Bifi :D.

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=8944]dieMuttivonBifi[/MENTION] hmm.. how old is Bifi?

Blue's going to be two in December, and Wellie is 13 months. Wellie is teenager so maybe that's it. But at almost two, is Blue still considered a teenager? lol..

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
[MENTION=7457]Blueberrys Mom[/MENTION] Bifi is one year and 5 months old. I read that dogs are puppies from birth to 6-8 months old, teenagers till 3 then adult from 3 years old and onwards. So if those are correct, our boys are all teenagers! Guess they have a valid excuse to be naughty :evil:. Do your boys mind if they were the ones being sniffed? Bifi, in two different occasions, didn't let the dogs sniff his behind. And again i don't know if i should've corrected that? Maybe i should've?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
You know it's funnyā€¦ Bella wasn't a BIG sniffer, but boy Winston was and so is Walter. I think maybe it's a MALE bulldog thingā€¦ Lol

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.