Help Needed! Aggressive bully behavior

GusDad

Sep 30, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus (AKC Agustus Wyatt Molly Brown)
We have an adorable 3 year old neutered male English Bulldog. He is very healthy, and has always been a loving, good natured, happy boy! Over the past 6 to 8 weeks, however, he as begun to display some alarming behavior, and we are of course worried. We took him to the vet at the first signs, and he got a healthy check up. What has begun to happen is that, for no apparent reason, often while sitting next to me with paws and head in my lap, he will begin to growl softly, and become apparently upset. His eyes get bigger, and he displays as if he would be aggressive with little effort. When we scold him, he will growl more, bark and generally "back-talk" to us (my wife and I). On command, however, he will go to his crate. After a self-imposed "time-out" he will re-join us, often as if nothing has happened, or he may repeat the cycle again. We are careful not to make any threatening gestures to him when he's in this mood. Has anyone experienced this sort of behavior? We are worried, and not quite sure what to do. We are looking for professional answers, but I thought fellow English Bulldog lovers might have some insight as well. Thanks for your help!

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
We are experiencing this kind of thing with our Olde English he is 1 year 8 months and neutered.He gets aggressive sometimes when we are trying to cut his nails or pick him up( usually things he doesn't think he needs to do) .He has made contact by biting a few times .I was advised on here to hold his face, make eye contact and hold him on his back til he calms. This is to show him whose the alpha. Hope this helps..

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Have your vet check his Thyroid levels, as this can cause aggression. Lucy, will sometimes start a low growl, and then a woof, but she is wanting attention and not being aggressive, plus she will not be sitting next to us either, usually she will be across the room or at my feet looking at me trying to get my attention. I will look at her and ask her, "What do you want Lucy?" and she will either get a bone or wiggle her butt and want a pat on the head. Your boy, it's hard for me to say, because I am not there to see his body language.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Our boy just turned 2 and is doing the same. Looking for advice as well.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Is this only when you are sitting together? While in this postion.. are you re-adjusting or making any movement (reach for the remote or a glass) ? Also, is Gus invited on the couch after you are sitting or is her there and then you have joined him?

OP
G

GusDad

Sep 30, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus (AKC Agustus Wyatt Molly Brown)
Thanks, all, for your comments. We appreciate the suggestions. We've been ignoring him when he's "grouchy", and have been walking more, both of which seem to help. 2BullyMama: he always gets on the chair after I'm sitting, so I don't think it's anything like a territorial issue. The movement is just reaching out to pet him or rub his back. I will follow up on the thyroid comment. Thanks again to all who responded!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks, all, for your comments. We appreciate the suggestions. We've been ignoring him when he's "grouchy", and have been walking more, both of which seem to help. 2BullyMama: he always gets on the chair after I'm sitting, so I don't think it's anything like a territorial issue. The movement is just reaching out to pet him or rub his back. I will follow up on the thyroid comment. Thanks again to all who responded!

definitely get the thyroid checked but also go back to basic training with him and make sure he still understands his place in the pack.

this can help..... http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...ioral/33985-life-free-training-technique.html

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.