Thread: New puppy

Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Annie
    Likes (Received)

Question New puppy

Hi everyone, we got our new Bulldog puppy about 2 months ago. She was young, 7 weeks old. She had only one litter mate who got picked up right after the vet gave OK (7 weeks) so we went and picked her up so she doesn't have to sit alone in there.

We had English Bulldog before, he died at the age of 9 and was just amazing. Great puppy, and great, stable dog.

Well, now we have her, and she is the exact opposite. Defiantly tries to be dominant (she is 15 weeks now), is demanding and can be hyper (we understand that's a puppy thing -hyper) and bites. And I don't mean only play bites (which she does hard since it seems she never learned it softly from her litter mate). We work on teaching her how to bite, it's hard and didn't improve much, but now she bites, when she doesn't want to be picked up, her face cleaned, corrected, etc. Basically, she bites as an avoidance tactic, and what seems to be dominance fight?

i am wondering, did anyone have puppy like this? Bitting puppy, and did the puppy turn out to be stable adult, or stayed that way. I don't think I could put up with bitting 50 pounds bulldog, so I am little bit worried about this situation, and yes, we are establishing who the alpha is by making her submit, but still, is this a puppy thing or dominance/aggression thing?

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nuts Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean ; Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: New puppy

Ok don't judge LOL I bit Sheldon back when he bit I bit him hard enough he jerked also try hand feeding so that thos puppy realuzes the hierarchy of the pack.

R.I.P Duece Man I miss you so much!!!

R.I.P. Duece Man 9-13-14 Gone but not forgotten, always in our hearts! Till we meet again over the Bridge, Mommy misses you.

Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Annie
    Likes (Received)

Haha thanks I do hand feed her and she does well with it. I also have her sit and wait for food, sit before getting a toy, etc

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin' groomzilla Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Ron
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chance
    Likes (Received)

It is a puppy phase my boy was the only one in his Litter and mother rejected him at 3 weeks old so he was never taught to be soft mouthed he is nearly 7 months and it has gotten much better his mouth is soft and he does not try to bite
    Hope it helps it does get better

Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Annie
    Likes (Received)

It does! Thank!

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

It is a puppy phase... shark teeth! Give a firm NO when she bites and redirect her to a toy that is hers. Also as someone else suggested, make sure she know you are the boos

this will help.... http://www.englishbulldognews.com/fo...ning-technique
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Remove Ads