New puppy

nataliaors

Sep 28, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annie
Hi everyone, we got our new Bulldog puppy about 2 months ago. She was young, 7 weeks old. She had only one litter mate who got picked up right after the vet gave OK (7 weeks) so we went and picked her up so she doesn't have to sit alone in there.

We had English Bulldog before, he died at the age of 9 and was just amazing. Great puppy, and great, stable dog.

Well, now we have her, and she is the exact opposite. Defiantly tries to be dominant (she is 15 weeks now), is demanding and can be hyper (we understand that's a puppy thing -hyper) and bites. And I don't mean only play bites (which she does hard since it seems she never learned it softly from her litter mate). We work on teaching her how to bite, it's hard and didn't improve much, but now she bites, when she doesn't want to be picked up, her face cleaned, corrected, etc. Basically, she bites as an avoidance tactic, and what seems to be dominance fight?

i am wondering, did anyone have puppy like this? Bitting puppy, and did the puppy turn out to be stable adult, or stayed that way. I don't think I could put up with bitting 50 pounds bulldog, so I am little bit worried about this situation, and yes, we are establishing who the alpha is by making her submit, but still, is this a puppy thing or dominance/aggression thing?

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Ok don't judge LOL I bit Sheldon back when he bit I bit him hard enough he jerked also try hand feeding so that thos puppy realuzes the hierarchy of the pack.

R.I.P Duece Man I miss you so much!!!

OP
N

nataliaors

Sep 28, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annie
Haha thanks :) I do hand feed her and she does well with it. I also have her sit and wait for food, sit before getting a toy, etc

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
It is a puppy phase my boy was the only one in his Litter and mother rejected him at 3 weeks old so he was never taught to be soft mouthed he is nearly 7 months and it has gotten much better his mouth is soft and he does not try to bite
Hope it helps it does get better

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.