Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Neurosis and Behaviors - Common?

Baxter Tiberius

Default Neurosis and Behaviors - Common?

I know EB's are neurotic. As I type this, Baxter is flipping the fk out barking like a madman at an umbrella that's drying (open) on the floor in the living room.

I guess I just need some reassurance that you guys deal with this on a daily (if not hourly) basis.

I sometimes feel like this breed is so incredibly needy, sensitive, and neurotic. Every single element of my day with Baxter is spent handling him with "kid gloves" (delicacy).

I've learned his personality so well that even basic things like dog walks are saturated with "dos" and "donts" because ... well .. its Baxter.

And if you do this .... he will get freaked out. Or if I dont do something else ... he wont go to the bathroom on his walk. Don't bring him to an area where other dogs are pottying, because he will forget he's there to potty, hyperfocus on the other dogs, and waste 40 minutes of my day trying to harass and play with the other dogs. So I must take baxter far away from others just to potty.

Its like he's a "special needs" child in so many ways. Friends and acquaintances look at me completely bewildered. Like Im being unnecessary. I just remind myself that they have no idea what its like to have one of these dogs.

I took him out last night to potty before bed. Like we always do. He wouldn't go to the bathroom because the grass was wet. It rains sometimes here. Its florida.

As a result he sh*t all over himself in his crate overnight, and also peed on himself. That pretty much sums up my experience with this breed so far. They're so neurotic that they wont do things, and as a result, you end up dealing with mass quantities of inconveniences.

Because they don't seem to put two and two together ... on pretty much anything. "If I dont go to the bathroom now, im going to have to go later. So I should go now".

When I got the umbrella out, - that was a disaster as well. I stood in the pouring rain, being bitten by mosquitos, at 11pm when I should've been in bed, watching Baxter stare in utter terror at the umbrella rather than going to the bathroom. He got himself and me completely soaked.

As I stood there for a solid half hour, other dog owners came out, pottied their dogs, and went back in, one by one. And there I stood with the most neurotic dog on earth, unable to even focus enough to go potty. Ultimately I got him to pee twice. Buy this morning there was piss all over his crate because he didn't fully go. Wet grass and an umbrella = disaster for potty time I guess?

This is pretty much how it goes on the regular. Not just with potty time but a lot of other things. Basic things that shouldn't be so incredibly difficult to do. Become this monumental task. Getting in elevators with other people. If one has a suitcase, forget it. He scrambles like bloody murder to get away from it, pulling my arm out of the socket, and making onlookers shake their heads.

At a family reunion this summer he kept crotch diving a female dog that was there so often that he got attacked at least 25 to 30 times. Family members started saying out loud "You'd think he'd be smart enough to get the point eventually?" When a little kid took his ball and ran with it, he chased after the child playfully and accidentally knocked him over. Same family members were saying "STUPID DOG!" out loud as the child screamed and cried. Its like *everything* about this breed is 500x more difficult than other dogs. Why?

I guess the neurosis is "cute" to a lot of us ... but does it ever drive you to the point of complete frustration and exhaustion? To say these guys require patience is the understatement of the century.

I've never dealt with a dog so difficult, and yet so full of love and kindness.

So stubborn that they will break every rule you teach them, and not give a crap that they've broken the rule, but then when they get scolded, suddenly they' act like the world is ending because you're not happy with them. I hope one day Baxter is able to associate "Cause and Effect". He seems to have no awareness of this concept at all..

How about you all?

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Neurosis and Behaviors - Common?

You couldn't describe it any better.... every movement is a thought processes of how Banks will react to it. What time I do things, what time of day or day of week can walks take place. All must be routine and well orchistrated to get the least impact to her.

Our boy when he was with us, was just like Baxter... would happen if we impacted his OCD.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

OMG… I can relate, and after owning 4 of them now I can honestly say this… ALL of them have these traits, but of course some are WORSE than others. I have been way more "relaxed" w/Wally and I swear he seems to be easier than my other bullies. If I KNOW beforehand he's going to react badly to something, I try REALLY HARD not to show it and sometimes he will surprise me and not freak out as bad. I swear they can read our voice and body language… they have psychic abilities!!! LOL

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Real Name
    Joe
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruby
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Strange that this is exactly why I love EBDs.

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

I think this is really common for EBs. It does seem that Baxter is to the extreme though. My Frankie is not quite as neurotic as my Brutus. If anything is out of the ordinary for King Tut, all hell breaks loose. Brutus does not like rain either but I read that the sound of the rain hitting the ground is very loud to sensitive ears. Of course I have never had this problem with the labs I have had all my adult life. I know you have had your trials and tribulations with Baxter and you deserve a medal for being so patient. He is really really cute though!!
    My smooshy face boy!

Baxter Tiberius

That's all I needed. Its good to know that this isn't abnormal. You're so right - you have to orchestrate literally every element of situations with them. So as to avoid problems / stressful situations / disobedience / headaches / accidents. Not sure why anyone would say this is exactly why they like EB's. I love them for all their other traits. This stuff, I can totally do without. Quirky and cute is one thing. Constantly being unable to perform basic functions with the dog is something different.

I really shouldn't have brought him to meet my whole family. I had such high hopes. The entire time was embarrassing and a huge headache. I couldn't visit with anyone because I was too busy pulling baxter away from the female dog, or hearing "dog attack" noises when he wouldn't. Everyone was annoyed with me, and it was very clear they thought he was a "dumb dog" . Many said so out loud. Several times.

Got to keep reminding myself I have a "Special Needs" child here. And love him that much more patiently.

-B-

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

Well maybe life doesn't change enough for my dogs. One is skittish if I take a box of saran wrap out of the drawer(like she thinks I am going to hit her with it!) but the others don't seem to be so worried about things. (so far). Of course they are more stubborn-but it's because they like to consider things before they do them. Maybe I'm just used to the ways of donkeys, because donkeys have to consider things before they do-as they want to be sure that it is nothing that will hurt them. Donkeys have a rep. for being stupid-but they are extremely smart. It sounds like Baxter is quite neurotic(no offense meant). @ddnene you are quite right, as animals can feel your emotions-even before you do. @Baxter Tiberious are you stressed when you take him places-anticipating what might happen? Although barking at an umbrella open is pretty normal........if he hasn't seen it before,in the house!
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter Tiberius View Post
    That's all I needed. Its good to know that this isn't abnormal. You're so right - you have to orchestrate literally every element of situations with them. So as to avoid problems / stressful situations / disobedience / headaches / accidents. Not sure why anyone would say this is exactly why they like EB's. I love them for all their other traits. This stuff, I can totally do without. Quirky and cute is one thing. Constantly being unable to perform basic functions with the dog is something different.

I really shouldn't have brought him to meet my whole family. I had such high hopes. The entire time was embarrassing and a huge headache. I couldn't visit with anyone because I was too busy pulling baxter away from the female dog, or hearing "dog attack" noises when he wouldn't. Everyone was annoyed with me, and it was very clear they thought he was a "dumb dog" . Many said so out loud. Several times.

Got to keep reminding myself I have a "Special Needs" child here. And love him that much more patiently.

-B-
    Maybe you can try again and keep Baxter leashed so he can't jump on kids and sniff the other dogs. EBs play much rougher than other dogs, that's why they usually do better with other bull breeds. As far as family, Brutus likes to jump on little kids as well, although he doesn't know he is doing anything wrong. He jumps on my three year old nephew and knocks him over which leads to a screaming kid. I have found that if I put Brutus in his harness and leash, he gets that he needs to behave. like I said, I would try again. And as far as anyone calling my boys stupid or anything else for that matter would result in a riot of epic proportions
    My smooshy face boy!

Real Name
    Joe
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruby
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter Tiberius View Post
    . Not sure why anyone would say this is exactly why they like EB's. I love them for all their other traits. This stuff, I can totally do without. Quirky and cute is one thing. Constantly being unable to perform basic functions with the dog is something different.

-B-
    Because along with the neurosis comes huge personalities. We are perpetually frustrated, we we have loved every one of our's until the end. They have all had the strangest neurotic issues that always make us think there certainly is an easier breed....Our's have always made us laugh and we find a ton of value in that.

Pooper scooper
    Real Name
    Jay
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nelson
    Likes (Received)

Howdy, and good day!

I am sorry that you are going through a bit of a rough spot with Baxter.

Something that jumped out at me, while reading your post, was that you seem to also have anxiety while dealing with Baxter. For example, if you approach going out into the rain to let Baxter "potty" with stress/trepidation, bullies seem to pick up on that, so may be manifesting some of your own discomfort with the situation.

I don't have any detailed advice, aside from "be slow, and be positive". Try to approach the challenges as opportunities instead of with fear.
    For the umbrella, after bringing it in, let him sniff it, let him see it, be a bit excited about it. Similarly, if it is raining and you have to take him out, speak and move with a bit of energy/excitement as you go to the door -- get him excited and interested.

No one likes standing in the rain (well, I live in Texas, so rain is often welcome), but you can still project positive energy so that he thinks it is fun and exciting.

You are right, in that bullies are sensitive and seem to fixate on very small things. And in the interest of full disclosure I am both upset and concerned about my bully, since he just ran into my backyard fence, irrespective of me telling him to stop. (A neighbor's cat had jumped into my backyard -- so he chased it).

Anyway, I hope this helps, or at least provides a different perspective.

It's easy to get frustrated, let's help our bulldogs help us become better people ourselves

Cheers, and good luck!

The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Your post could of been written about Blue. Scared of everything. He hates the elevator, the lobby, boxes, and loud noises (but yet thunder is no problem). He gets startled very easily and will bark at shadows.
    Yet, he can watch our Roomba vacuum in circles around him and he's fine with it. He loves music and if he hears a U2 song will stop whatever he's doing and try to figure out where it's coming from.

Wellie on the other hand has no fears. Nothing seems to startle him, and he's curious about everything. Blue runs away from things while Wellie runs towards them. So not every Bullie is that neurotic.

As a breed though, I do wonder what's wrong with them. How come they're so skittish?

Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hank, Ta-hank and Emma
    Likes (Received)

Hank doesn't care for loud noises(fireworks, live music), but since his training at about a year he will not run off when he hears something that upsets him. He's our first bulldog. Tank is kinda a huge 65 pound baby and afraid of soap bubbles. It appears Lulu doesn't like bigger dogs outside our family, chickens and strange people getting to close to our car when she's in it. We have been fairly lucky with no major personality issues up to this point,

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads