Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Neurosis and Behaviors - Common?

Baxter Tiberius

Default Re: Neurosis and Behaviors - Common?

@Manydogs

We're still here. Sorry I rarely check back these days. I started really praising baxter saying "Good boy go poo poo!" when he would go #2. After he finish I would repeatedly say "Good boy Baxter go poo poo!" ... he would get all happy and start doing the "downward dog" position with his little butt up in the air and looking adorable. He was happy about the praise. And this has really helped. Now he poops really quickly when we go out, and when I say "Go poo poo?" he starts sniffing around to do it.

Our biggest challenge right now is still other dogs. He's a rambunxious menace anytime another dog comes by and 100% of the time will get viciously barked at to "back off". he tries to jump on their heads and wrestle with them, right out of the gate. That isn't how dogs are supposed to approach eachother. He doesn't care. When I am walking him if suddenly I get jerked backwards because the leash has yanked me back? Its because Baxter has seen a dog 30 yards away approaching on a leash and has decided to just STOP, and squat down on the sidewalk. At that point he doesn't hear anything i say. Hyper-focus on the other dog. Wont move. Ignores all my commands. And I can't physically pull him. He wont budge.

When the dog gets near, he jumps up and does a full sprint right at the dog to "play", which causes all kinds of problems. Meanwhile Im sternly telling him STOP and BAXTER! and etc etc etc. Pulling yanking on the leash with all my strength.

So that's our new current situation. Doesn't have an aggressive bone in his body but this has got to stop. Tonight I had to pick him up and carry him back to the building because he kept going limp on the leash since another dog was walking alongside us. The other owner commented that he'd "seen another one of those dogs" in the building and it always just went limp on the floor, and its owner would just drag it along the slippery lobby floor by his leash as he dragged like a dead body. I know exactly what he's talking about. These dogs are something else....

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

Hi Kevin, good to hear from you. I know these situations are frustrating for you, but I just love Baxter stories. From the time he was a pup with potty training, His stories just get better!
    My smooshy face boy!

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

I agree, totally love Baxter and remember his puppy pics, omg,
    the cuteness was too much! He has grown into a very handsome
    bully and I believe he will mellow out in about 6 months, he's still
    young. A trainer could help smooth out his behavior w/other dogs.
    Great hearing your update & hope life is good for you, Kevin.

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member Cali Doll's Avatar
    Real Name
    Cali
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)

Wow, this thread is very interesting! Baxter Tiberius, thank you for sharing your struggles. My Bella is very smart, stubborn, and neurotic, too. She is almost uncontrollable around other dogs. Right now, at 28 pounds, she pulls and I'm barely able to contain her when she's trying to get at another dog.

Generally, I get a lot of packages delivered (Amazon Prime!); however, once I had an office desk delivered and she lost her mind. I opened the box and I had the wood pieces scattered around the dining room. She was going crazy in her playpen. It seemed that nothing would calm her. Once I had the desk assembled, she finally calmed down. She also freaked out when I had a deck lounge chair delivered.

I don't think she's neurotic about much else and she's good about pottying outside. She is quite stubborn, though. Sometimes, when I call her name, she will remain seated and force me to drag her accross our hardwood floors. When I attempt to put ointment on her eyelid, she collapses on the ground. I don't know what it's about, but I'm certain she finds it entertaining.

[I'm totally fine now, but...] I slipped on ice and fell on my back this past Friday. I was scared and in a lot of pain; I was afraid that my back was broken. I broke down in the kitchen (crying, etc.) and Bella sat at my feet, looking at me, cocking her head left and right. I'm sure she was wondering why I was so upset. It seemed like she was empathetic at that moment. It was sweet. She definitely rationalizes and has consideration that I've never seen in another dog. Bullies are very unique!
    {MEAN JOE BELLA}

IG: @bellatheenglishbully

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

@BaxterTiberious
    Do you walk Baxter with a collar, or a harness? I had Belgian Malanois, and German Shepherds, and trained them with a so-called chain choke collar.
    When I took two bullies for a vet visit, after they were 40 lbs., I had their harness on and leash. Since there is no where to walk them where I live(no sidewalks, I swear cars try to hit you if you are on the road on a horse, or with a dog)they did not get to walk on leashes enough, they embarrassed me soooo much by dragging me into the vets office, and trying to get to the other dogs to sniff! After that visit, when I take one anywhere, I use the chain collar,proper use of it works wonders.(unfortunately called the "choke collar") Jerk and release,and it must be put on correctly.. They walk like proper ladies,don't drag me, and I can control them.I know a lot of people think that they are cruel, but it is because they are people who don't use them correctly.I do not have the strength to be dragged any more-nor do I want to be. Mals and Sheps are pretty thick headed, but when they do learn, they never forget. Bullies never forget, but seem to be testing to see if you forgot!!!
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads