Stubborn on a leash

bullywooly

Sep 22, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Jenni
I have have an energetic little english bulldog girl Jenni. She sits on command but not for long unless I keep eye contact. I've tried a body harness, a normal collar, a choker, a prong collar and she just doesn't listen when we're walking. She is completely fine when off the leash. She listens great and is a ball of fun.

I've tried keeping her attention with treats but as soon as the food is gone she ignores me and pulls the leash.
Anytime we walk past another dog she gets aggressive, lunges and growls viciously and I just embarrassingly hold her back with her leash.
She has gone to a boarding kennel for 2 weeks to break any dependency issues and she hasn't slept in my bed in months.

I broke down and tried an e-collar. Tested it out and the shock really wasn't much at all, more like a gag gift shock. I've been using that and its amazing. She keeps her focus on my the entire walk and if we are coming up on another dog and I see her about to lunge I just give her a little zap and it snaps her out of it as we walk on by.
The e-collar is an amazing tool and I highly recommend it if your dog is stubborn.

The batteries ran out awhile ago and I started seeing if she learned anything and she was good for a short while but then went back into her old habits of pulling on the leash and lunging at other dogs. She knows the commands "come here", "sit", "lay down" yet when we're out walking she just doesn't respond and tries pulling me where she wants to go.

I'd really love her to be obedient and not need any extra tools to coax her into giving me her full attention.

Any suggestions on how to work on her obedience?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
My suggestion would be to get a trainer involved… I take all my bullies to the AKC puppy class, and loose leash walking is a HUGE part of the class. Plus they get socialized w/other dogs to see their temperament. Have you ever taken Jenni to a trainer?!! How old is she?!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
If the e-collar worked and she is aware of what it is.... place it on her, but just don't use the action. She knows and associates it with the correction - it should keep her in line. How old is she?

I have a LOT of experience 9+ yrs with the e-collar so I know how to and when to use them

:welcome3: to EBN

OP
B

bullywooly

Sep 22, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Jenni
She is a year and a half. Took her to a trainer back in the day which helped her with the sit and stay commands.

Yeah I put the e-collar on her and use only when she acts up. I rotate between vibration, zap and the led light at night depending on the surrounding environment.
I'm a firm believer that an e-collar works well with her. 80% of the time the vibration and led is enough to keep her in line but it would be nice to have her not want to lunge at other passing dogs while she is on a leash.

I think we're going to take her to a dog trainer here soon. Was just wondering if anyone had any special techniques that you've tried or maybe a special food that worked good for training her and how you did it?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.