Snapping...

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
OK I'm in need of help, opinions or any info I can get.Our male Olde English Abbott is a little over a year and a half and neutered.He gets nasty with us sometimes when we are trying to clean his face or get him up to go somewhere.He snarls and snaps and not in a nice way.He has made contact a few times and we are trying to correct him positively but are kind of at a loss.He is usually so sweet and loves people.Any suggestions please

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Is this the same baby with the nail issue?

OP
Christie H

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes he has done this off and on for awhile.He is so sweet and loveable until he is bothered.

OP
Christie H

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
He has had two eye surgeries so we thought maybe he was tired of people touching his face but then he does this when we try to pick him up during what he thinks should be his resting time.We always talk to him before we pick him up so he knows.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well the best thing to do is when he does that, tell him NO!!! in a very stern voice, and look him in the eye. If you are wanting him to get off the couch, then tell him GET DOWN!! and make him get down. I am not telling you to do this, but it's what I do if one tries to get testy with me, usually a young one trying to see what they can get away with. Is any time one will growl or snap, like a toy aggression or when trimming nails, I say NO!! and quickly grab the side of their face by their neck and hold firm, then look them in the eye, and they know I mean business. I hold it a few seconds until they stop and calm down. It usually only takes a few times of that and they know better.
We had a one year old that was getting toy aggressive and a few times of that and she was cured. There are other ways that work as well, and I'm sure others will be along and share what works for them.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I am with [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] on this, when Vegas was younger and was "trying" me, I too took a firm hold on his neck, put him to the floor (like a pin in wrestling) , looked him in the eye and firmly said NO, I waited for him to calm down, then I would let him up and all was good. Although Vegas was neutered very young he humped until he was 3 EVERYONE that walked in the front door. He is 5.5 now and no longer does this, thank goodness, it was quite :eek:. You have got to show them who's boss. In NO WAY did I hurt Vegas or was being mean, I just had to show him who the pack leader was.

OP
Christie H

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you for the advice.My husband is so upset that he behaves like this because he was badly attacked by a dog when he was younger.He has been grabbing him by the face and holding him down so we will all need to take this stance for sure.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

JakeP

May 6, 2014
Burbank CA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I'm with [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]. When Jake plays rough and bites, I also grab him and pin him down. I project an energy that I'm the alpha and I make a sound of an angry dog at the same time making sure he makes eye contact. Wait for a few seconds and I let him go. I don't walk away. I stay where I am at and wait for him to calm and submit. The change is pretty quick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
As [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] suggested, Nothing in Life is Free is an excellent training tool.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.