jumping on people

Brilloluna

Jul 20, 2014
Northern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cricket (2014-) Willa: (2001-2013)
Any ideas on how I can teach Cricket (8 months) to not jump on people? She'll often fixate on something someone is holding and decide that she HAS TO HAVE IT, and then she'll start jumping on them, trying to get it. She'll jump on a complete stranger, and she's pretty good at it- she can get up to about waist-level on some people and this could lead to injuries. EEK!
thanks!

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
I can only tell you what we do.If they start to jump we say no and pull them back down with their leash/ harness.I'm no trainer so maybe someone on here can help.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I can only tell you what we do.If they start to jump we say no and pull them back down with their leash/ harness.I'm no trainer so maybe someone on here can help.

Thats all I know how to prevent. He forgets every once in a while but overall he's stopped.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
That was one thing we wanted to stop from the get go. Harlea loves to jump up and say hi so we worked with her on a harness and leash and would pull he back when she would jump on people and other dogs telling her feet on the ground while we were doing it. After a few weeks she stopped and just started pancaking herself on the ground. She still has slips from time to time but we just reminder her to keep her feet on the ground and she settles down.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
one of things we did with Banks... held her leash or stood on it, so she could not jump. Then taught her to sit before anyone could pet her. Now she willnot let you pet her till she smells your hand, then she sits and waits for some petting to happen

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
I had a trainer come to my house and she suggested getting a plastic jar and feel it partly with rocks and shake it as they go to jump and it deters them I did it a few times but Ftse was really scared of it so I stopped and now he doesn't do it anymore anyway

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'll be watching this thread closely, to see what people suggest. Lol. As my Bulldozer jumps up.on people all the time, he's trying to give them a kiss, or a lick bath, but we always pull him back and tell him No in a firm voice, and then tell him to sit. We have also tried to turn our backs to him when he is jumping up, as I was told by a trainer at Petsmart, that's what to do. He will sit sometimes, but he loves people so much that he wants to greet them this way. I will hold his leash shorter so he can't jump up, but then I have a few neighbours in my complex who are I. Love with my dogs, and will literally lay on the grass, and let them lick and slime them, and they say they don't mind them jumping up. I try to tell them that we don't want him to do this, but it doesn't always work. Blossom doesn't usually jump up, she prefers to flop on your feet and roll on her back for a belly rub. Lol

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
Lol..I do know the feeling.Abbott and Wheezie are getting much better but now we have to work on Abbott with the vet.He loves her and the pink crayon comes out and the jumping and licking comes full force.He only has it out for her.lol

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Frankie is a bad jumper as he was never taught any manners in his other home. So I have a 62lb three year old leaping on people. I simply put his leash on BEFORE anyone comes in and I make him sit. He is not allowed to go to the people until they are settled and only then do I walk him over to them and he is allowed to sit and say hello. He stays on his leash untol he understands that jumping is not acceptable and then off the leash he goes. He does not then jump when he is off leash. It really works for us and he is not a pup. I was afraid it was too late for training but I guess not.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.