How to introduce a second bulldog- and is it even a good time to adopt?

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Next Saturday, Blue's trainer is bringing over a 1 year old male bulldog that was surrendered to him yesterday. All paperwork, breeder info (our trainer thinks he was purchased in a pet store), and vet records were given to Blue's trainer. The previous owner also signed away his rights to this bullie.

If all goes well with the meeting, we're keeping him and Blue's gonna get a brother. If not, he's going to Bumper Rescue.

This week, he'll be with Steve (our trainer) and he'll be able to assess his personality, how he does around other dogs, any aggression issues etc. So in a sense, we really lucked out, as this is the most ideal way to add a second bulldog.

But, Blue is developing issues. He hates having a collar around this neck. I mean absolutely hates it. He won't even eat until he's starving so that means 1 meal a day. He spends all day in the crate sleeping, and all I do most of the day is coax him to come out. No amount of treats or toys work. I have to get creative and invent toys out of baskets, rip shirts and attach them to broom handles, etc. to even get him remotely interested enough to move.

I just took 2 more weeks off from work (after already having a 2 week vacation, and taking a crap load of time over the last few months due to family issues.)
His toy aggression, where he growls and barks has gotten worse when the collar is on. I mean he's very close to biting now not just when he has a toy, but when he just doesn't want to be touched.
When that collar's on, and he's in a prissy mood (which is all day, every day now), I have no doubt he'll bite, it's just a matter of time. He's already left teeth marks on my hand. He may stop himself for now, from chomping down hard, but like I said, it's only a matter of time.
THIS IS ONLY WITH THE COLLAR ON though. But since our trainer said to only take it off only at night, we're sticking with that. I'm sure he'll come around :pray:.

But this is just the worst time since we're trying to adopt another bulldog.

I know that Blue doesn't care if other dogs are in the apartment. This Saturday, his trainer brought over another bullie. Blue sniffed him and that was the end of it. He was more interested in the humans. But this bullie is an older boy and I think Blue knew he didn't want to play. He's also so laid back that Blue's sniffing didn't bother him at all.

If everything was "normal", I would just go with it and make it work between the and the new Bullie.
But Blue's already so stressed, that I don't know if getting another dog now would help or hinder.

I'm just so confused and tired. Last week was rough, and I don't see this week as being any better..

So any suggestions, ideas, recommendations? All thoughts appreciated.

boxorox

Jul 2, 2014
Wisconsin
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
I am wondering why there is a need to put a collar on him. Is it solely for training purposes or for breaking his will? Is it for holding his tags? Does he react the same way with a harness?

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I am wondering why there is a need to put a collar on him. Is it solely for training purposes or for breaking his will? Is it for holding his tags? Does he react the same way with a harness?

He reacts the same way with his harness. Thing with the harness is, it only goes on for walks.

The collar is for training purposes. Steve said they learn to walk better on a collar. And from what I've seen, I agree. He still pulls with the "no-"pull harness on. But from the walks we've done with the collar (when steve was walking blue), he seemed more relaxed and didn't pull.

Weird thing is- when he's distracted and playing, he couldn't care less about having his collar or harness on.
For example, in NYC, you're allowed to have your dogs off leash in most parks between 6-9 am. So we went to Prospect Park in Brooklyn. OMG, It's dog heaven. HUGE flat grassy field. Tons of dogs off leash and running around. He went ape ****. We took his lead off and all he did was run around and play with other dogs. He was one happy boy.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Wow that is so weird about the collar… :ponder: I've had more than one bully at a time, but they were either siblings or mother/son. I will tag the peeps that have dealt w/the new bully coming in… I would say that your trainer would give the best idea if this was going to work out or not. I'm assuming that Steve knows Blue pretty well. I will say this though, our Bella got harder to deal w/the older that she got… doggie and toy/bone aggressive. She wasn't fixed, but I always thought it would be the other way around in her younger years. I wish you luck, I think it would be awesome for Blue to have a brother!!! ;)

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Thanks @ddnene

Well, the new boy isn't fixed either. If we keep him, I'm getting them both neutered. I can't rely on every female dog in the neighborhood being fixed, and I don't need two intact males fighting over a bitch in heat.
It may help Blue's toy aggression as well. But it's something we're going to eventually work on once this whole collar issue gets resolved.

I did get him in the kitchen at about 12 today to eat his breakfast. It took a whole egg to do it, but he went in and ate everything. Then decided to pull my kitchen towel off the sink and made a run right for his crate with it..lol.
So it's definite progress.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Ellie... Some of what is going on with Blue can be all the stress YOU have been going through. They sense and react to our emotions... If you are nervous or anticipate his reaction to something, he feels the need to protect or react to what he is sensing. Could be off, but all I just read tells me... He is feeding off of your emotions.

ex -- Blue was perfect on collar walk with you and Steve. Were you comfortable because Steve was holding the lease
h?

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
Diesel was 1 and a half. Tbh we haven't looked back. More dogs I say.
You have have a house but dogs make a house a home

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I didn't know that about the collar and walking better. That is interesting. I use no-pull harnesses for both boys; Finn is a definite puller, even with this kind of harness. I was just thinking today how we need to go back to school to re-learn "heal" and walking better. Maybe i will need to try the collar and leash.

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Ellie... Some of what is going on with Blue can be all the stress YOU have been going through. They sense and react to our emotions... If you are nervous or anticipate his reaction to something, he feels the need to protect or react to what he is sensing. Could be off, but all I just read tells me... He is feeding off of your emotions.

ex -- Blue was perfect on collar walk with you and Steve. Were you comfortable because Steve was holding the lease
h?

I didn't think of this.. could be you're on to something..
Yep, I was very comfortable when Steve was holding the lead.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I didn't think of this.. could be you're on to something..
Yep, I was very comfortable when Steve was holding the lead.

Right, you being comfy and Steve being a trainer, he has the leader sense flowing out of him. Next time you are with him - explain your recent stresses and see what his thoughts are

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Right, you being comfy and Steve being a trainer, he has the leader sense flowing out of him. Next time you are with him - explain your recent stresses and see what his thoughts are

Steve told us that if we're feeling uncomfortable, stressed or nervous, not to walk him. We need to be completely relaxed. It's just easier said than done.
But we've been working on it.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.