teddokun

May 15, 2014
Jakarta, Indonesia
Country
Indonesia
Bulldog(s) Names
Sky (aka Stardust Iron Dome)
Hi all,

am preparing to welcome my 1st bulldog puppy in next couple of week. I have done quite a lot of reading but still am worried if i will be good enough for him.

I have read somewhere that to do potty training - a puppy can only hold approx. (his age in month) + 1 => giving the total hours he can hold his pee. For example, a 3 month old puppy, will only be able to hold for 4 hours. As such, one will be required / better to take the pup for peeing at late hours.

Do you think the above is fair and reasonable? I just wish to check if others are doing the same for their pup.

Regards

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes, middle of the night alarm for potty break, otherwise you will wake up to a messy pen/crate. They month of age plus one is a great guideline to help get a schedule developed and training for signals to let you know they have to go

OP
teddokun

teddokun

May 15, 2014
Jakarta, Indonesia
Country
Indonesia
Bulldog(s) Names
2BullyMama,
when you wake up at night, do you wake the puppy up for potty break? Or do we need to wait for him to wake up?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I wake them up to go out. This also teaches them you are in charge so that you do not give in to crying. They learn really quick that crying will get them out of their crate, so if you wait for that to happen then it may become a game to them just to get out and get attention.

For some reason they learn to hold it best at night so this is only temporary, usually setting the alarm for about 4 hours after their last potty break is the only one they need until morning. After the first week, stretch it to 5 hours, then after another week stretch it to 6 hours to see if they can hold it.

Usually by 3 months of age they can go all night as long as you don't sleep for over 7-8 hours. During the day continue to stick with every three hours for potty breaks if you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
teddokun

teddokun

May 15, 2014
Jakarta, Indonesia
Country
Indonesia
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION],

thank you for this good advice. Is there a good schedule that i can look at? i wonder what if there are any specific schedule for feeding and drinking that i need to plan?

I am thinking:
6.00 am - breakfast - wait for 15 - 30 mins (and take away the food even if it is not finished) - take them for their nature's call (and wait for 15 - 20 mins) - play a bit - clean them - and put them back to crate before i go to work
During the day he will have access to clean water all the way - and shall be playing with my family (during my office hours)
6.00 pm - dinner time - wait for 15 - 30 mins (and take away the food even if it is not finished) - take them for their nature's call (and wait for 15 - 20 mins)

is that fair schedule?
when would be best for him to have his last drink?
I am thinking to take him out for potty at 10 pm and at 2 am in the evening..........

Please advise.

Thank you

Regards

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Sounds like a great schedule, can you possibly feed him 3 times a day? At least for the first month?

Of that's not possible that's okay, but it really helps with potty training.

I also take them outside right after they eat, they will poop within 20 minutes but most times it's immediately after each meal (at 3 meals a day) and one more at bedtime.

2 am sounds perfect for the night potty break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
@bullmama,

thank you for this good advice. Is there a good schedule that i can look at? i wonder what if there are any specific schedule for feeding and drinking that i need to plan?

I am thinking:
6.00 am - breakfast - wait for 15 - 30 mins (and take away the food even if it is not finished) - take them for their nature's call (and wait for 15 - 20 mins) - play a bit - clean them - and put them back to crate before i go to work
During the day he will have access to clean water all the way - and shall be playing with my family (during my office hours)
6.00 pm - dinner time - wait for 15 - 30 mins (and take away the food even if it is not finished) - take them for their nature's call (and wait for 15 - 20 mins)

is that fair schedule?
when would be best for him to have his last drink?
I am thinking to take him out for potty at 10 pm and at 2 am in the evening..........

Please advise.

Thank you

Regards

Gotta ask...why would you take away his food after 15-20mins even if he's not finished eating? That would only lead to food guarding or would just aggravate him. Please Let him eat in peace :). Take it away if he doesn't want to eat, 15-20mins after giving it to him ;). Puppies should always have access to clean drinking water at all times, well atleast that's my opinion. If they have to go, they have to go... they are babies.

When we were potty training my boy, we go out every after meal, after play, after he wakes up even from naps, after drinking and in-between those, every hour. We didn't have a schedule but we had a routine: After waking up we go out, we play outside, we go in and give him his breakfast, we go out, tire him out, we go in and he would take a nap, and we do everything all over again. Goodthing about puppies is they often mostly sleep and tire out easy. Yes we wake up at around 2 am too :yes4:.

OP
teddokun

teddokun

May 15, 2014
Jakarta, Indonesia
Country
Indonesia
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION]
Thank you. He will be 3 mths old when i get him. Will try to do 3 times a day.

Do you mean he will poo during bedtime? Ie 4 times a day (3times after food and once at night time)?

I plan to crate him at night. Should i leave a bowl of water inside?

Thank you

OP
teddokun

teddokun

May 15, 2014
Jakarta, Indonesia
Country
Indonesia
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=8944]dieMuttivonBifi[/MENTION]

Thanks for the input. I meant to say to take the food away if he is no longer eating it (even if it is still some leftover).....

Do you suggest i put bowl of water in the crate at night?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Sounds like a good plan, but they will pee more during the day time and especially when they are playing. Just remember, as soon as they wake up they go out, before they eat and after they eat, they go out, and during play time and after play time. Plus very important, never ever restrict water from them. Always have plenty of fresh water for them 24/7.

karleydavidson46

Sep 12, 2014
North Carolina
Bulldog(s) Names
Cash and Dixie
When we first got our two bullies we would take them out as soon as they woke up then after they finished eating after naps and usually when they need to go you'll see them start walking around and sniffing the ground we would take them out then too and after awhile of doing that they knew to go straight to the door to go out actually wasn't as bad as we thought it would be! Also if you feel like it's been awhile since he's used the bathroom just take him out usually they'll go you can also tell by their bellies when they are puppies if it's warm or a little bigger than usual. An I wouldn't put a bowl of water in the crate cause he'll probably tip it over and make a mess but it depends what time you get him up in the mornings!

OP
teddokun

teddokun

May 15, 2014
Jakarta, Indonesia
Country
Indonesia
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] [MENTION=12803]karleydavidson46[/MENTION]

Thanks for the input. Am really worried and excited. Will keep you posted once he arrives......

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.