Help Needed! House Traing an 8 week old pup

jonny392

Aug 19, 2014
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
So we got our pup home at the weekend, the first morning we got up his crate was covered in pee and poo and he was too. We cleaned him and the crate and started to house train him that day to go to the toilet outside and it started to work. The next morning we woke up his crate was a mess again so we cleaned it but myself and my wife both work 8-5 jobs and have to leave him in his crate all day and when we go home it is a mess again. Any idea's of how we can help this situation?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
At 8 weeks old he can only hold it for about 2 or 3 hours... he needs to go out every 2 or 3 hours regardless of time of day, just part of nature. Can you hire someone to come over while you are at work or a neighbor let him out?

he should also go out 15 mins after eating and right after any play-time. Good rule of thumb while training is 1 hour more than months old is all they can hold it. so, they can not go 8 hours until they are about 7- 8 months old.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Agree with [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
so true and the size of the crate matters as weII check out the search engine on the right side top of this page enter house or crate training and check out aII the threads - good Iuck most of us have been there

OP
J

jonny392

Aug 19, 2014
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
So after another night of crying constantly and about 1 hours sleep we are no further forward. This is his 3rd night and he has barked most of the night, I even tried covering his crate last night but made no difference. Anyone any more idea's?

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Welcome in a puppy hood , i would suggest reading few articles posted on the homepage , also make sure he is not locked in a crate for a long periods of time during the day -it will make housebreaking harder and it wont stimulate puppy
Keep crate open when you are home so puppy will associate crate with a "safe place,den"
If you can wake up few times at night to take him out potty it will also help
With regards to barking he will soon get used to the fact that it is bed time and he will settle down

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Whenever I've had pups, if I had to leave-I had a small crate with a pen around it. I left a puppy pad at the farthest end of the pen. The crate was left open, and there were puppy toys in the crate. I had a "heavy" plastic tablecloth on the floor in the kitchen, where the pen was. They always did great going on the puppy pad. It is very sad for a pup to be locked in a crate all day-and then be locked in a crate all night. This is the type of pen I had pen.jpgI used it for all my pups(with an open door crate in it) [MENTION=12645]jonny392[/MENTION]

sneloms1906

Aug 30, 2014
Jonny I'm going through the same thing with my pup and my wife and mines schedule. I just bought a exercise pen like the one you have pictured. Never thought about using a table cloth on the floor. I'll try that.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.