Brutis is aggressive I'm not sure how rough EBD play

DonnaR

Sep 1, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutis
:ashamed: I have just rescued Brutis almost a week ago and he is very rough with 6 year old girl Gracie (boxer). Gracie has always played rough with other dogs but I've had her since she was a baby pup so I know how she sounds and when things get out of hand she is 65 pounds and Brutis is 52 pounds and about 1 1/2 years old but he takes her down like she's nothing and has even made her yelp and she never yelps and then I get scared and yell and break them apart. Brutis is already jealous of my attention and possessive of toys when Gracie is playing with something he wants it.
now he is schedule to be neutered on Thursday will this help an if so when can I expect some changes. I'm already very attached but I can't allow him to hurt my girl Gracie. But if he like this now how bad will it get when he's older, I just feel like I'm always scolding him and that's not what I want I want to love him and Gracie but I don't want them fighting. Does anyone know of a good book on what to do. Is the fights not as bad as they sound there hasn't been any blood yet but I don't want any but when they give each other that look I know what about to happen.

HELP:pray:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Bullies do play rough, but when they get too rough, you need to step in and stop it, like you have been. Maybe even break it up as soon as you think they are getting a little too rough. He is only 1 1/2 years old and still has a lot of pup in him. He will not settle down until he gets over 4 years old. Neutering him will not really help, in fact for the first few months after, he may even get worse, as his hormones will be going crazy. Just stay on them and stop the play when it gets rough.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I agree with David... Stay on them and stop when it gets too rough. Also, since he is a rescue, he is getting used to his new home and will start pushing the limits with you. Be sure you are all training him on the same commands and being consistent. 'Nothing in life is free' is a great tool to help get and keep him in line... It is all positive reinforcement

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...85-Nothing-in-Life-is-Free-training-technique

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Donna, I don't have any experience with my guys being aggressive, but they do sometimes play a little rough, Blossom has a little more energy than her brother, and she always wants to play, and Dozer always wants to sleep. Lol. David already gave you great advice. The only thing I can suggest is that you divert their attention when they get too rough, you can use a can of pennies, or if I clap loud, and say enough, that stops them from getting too rough. Has Brutus had any training? Maybe a trainer could help you or some members on here have suggested a book called Nothing for Free, and also Cesar Milan has some good training books you can find at Petsmart.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm so sorry to hear about your situation…
I have a 9 year old boxer Roxie, and a 7 mos old EBD puppy Wally. Roxie DOES get tired of Wally's constant puppy madness, and at times I put him in his crated area so she can get a break. It's hard because I know that he just wants to play, but she's old and hurts sometimes… I would say that training would be the best thing to distract him when he gets crazy. And make sure to give them both individual attention (if possible) so jealously is kept at bay. Hopefully he will grow out of this soon...

OP
D

DonnaR

Sep 1, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutis
Hi,
just a quick update on Brutis and my boxer Gracie after almost a month they have become great play buddies I'm so happy it took a lot of work and patience but it payed off these 2 are friends for LIFE��:hug2:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=12717]DonnaR[/MENTION] I am so happy that it has worked out for you! Some people don't give things enough time. It is hard at first-but you toughed it out and got great results!! Good for you!:2thumbs:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.