Help! My English bulldog is peeing everywhere!

thesakedoctor

Sep 3, 2014
Usually our English bulldog lets us know when he has to go to the bathroom by whining or barking. As of late he has been not telling us when he has to go and just PEeing and pooing where ever he wants. We have some construction going on in the house also perhaps that could be the reason why he is using the toilet inappropriately? Any advice will help!!!

--J.Haas

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I agree with you, it's probably the construction that is causing the mishaps. Is there strangers in the house too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Are you taking him out regularly 3-4 times a day even if he's not asking to go out? That should be enough for him to do his business outside the house. How old is he?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I agree that the reason he is peeing and pooping in the house may be due to the construction. Bullies are very sensitive, and are often very OCD. They don't usually like change, noises, things being moved, and sometimes strangers.
What part of the house is under construction? Can you maybe move him to another part of the house, where it maybe is quieter. Maybe during the construction, you can take him out more often, maybe every 2 hours, instead of his normal schedule, as he may be going more often because he's nervous with all the noise. Another cause of frequent peeing and peeing in the house can be a Bladder Infection. A visit to the vet will rule this out if he continues to pee in the house. I hope you find a solution. Please keep us posted on how he's doing.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN .... yes, the construction will do it... we had a boy that if we moved a piece of furniture, he would :poo: in the house till he got used to the change.

OP
T

thesakedoctor

Sep 3, 2014
We always take him out three or more times every day and he gets to run around in the backyard until he feels like he's done hanging out there and barks to come in. He has time to go, he just won't tell us anymore when he's inside if he has too pee...? He's about 8 I think. There are no strangers in the house, were doing it ourselves. But the demo gets pretty loud... And it's the entire inside of the house that's being gutted, but we are still living there so there's no place else 4 us to go - the construction will take months. He stays usually in the quietest room in the house, under the bed. Any other suggestions would be great too!!

--J.Haas

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We always take him out three or more times every day and he gets to run around in the backyard until he feels like he's done hanging out there and barks to come in. He has time to go, he just won't tell us anymore when he's inside if he has too pee...? He's about 8 I think. There are no strangers in the house, were doing it ourselves. But the demo gets pretty loud... And it's the entire inside of the house that's being gutted, but we are still living there so there's no place else 4 us to go - the construction will take months. He stays usually in the quietest room in the house, under the bed. Any other suggestions would be great too!!

--J.Haas

UGH... best of luck with the reno - hope all goes well for you! have you been giving him treats to reinforce the going outside? Make a big deal of him do that out there... sometimes the positive reinforcement is all they need to get back on track

OP
T

thesakedoctor

Sep 3, 2014
He will bark every once in a while when he wants to be let out- then bark when he wants to come back in... He spends a good hour sometimes just sitting the the shade or sunbathing and then he'll bark to come back it. Maybe he's not peeing when he goes out?

--J.Haas

OP
T

thesakedoctor

Sep 3, 2014
He gets treats - it's not getting him to go outside, it's getting him to pee outside - that's the real issue...

--J.Haas

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
He is 8 years, so it could be that there's a medical issue as well.

sharna

Feb 26, 2015
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
ollie
Hi I have the same problem my 17 month bulldog keeps peeing in my living room. Only when I'm in bed though! He has only just started doing this, how do I stop this?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Sharna, maybe try crating him at night after he's had his last pee for the night, and you are in bed. Is he free to roam at night time, or is he crate trained when it's sleep time?

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
He gets treats - it's not getting him to go outside, it's getting him to pee outside - that's the real issue...
--J.Haas

I agree with the group here on the construction, I think he's out of his "comfort zone" with all the noises & such. However, if this continues happening, I would have the vet give him a quick check up - perhaps a urinalysis....when our Tyson started peeing inside all the sudden, he ended up having an UTI. While I think its more the construction really, esp if you say he's staying where its quiet & under the bed, still doesn't hurt to check. Also, since you stated this construction will take a while, look into Thundershirts... they are made for dogs with anxiety, its calming and I've heard it works wonders. I think it would be a great investment for him to help him during this time. Here's the link: The Best Dog Anxiety Treatment | ThunderShirt

Also, we have a "noise maker" that is also a fan. Maybe that could be placed in his room as well to help drown out the noise from the construction.

Please let us know how's he's doing .... keep us updated! Poor baby.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.