A Milestone

JakeP

May 6, 2014
Burbank CA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
My Jake is turning 6 months in 3 days. Yay! But that's not what I'm excited about. (I had to pass up an opportunity to sing at the Anaheim Convention this weekend because I do not want to leave Jake alone or even hire somebody to watch over him. I guess, this is where my "Values Factor" lies hehe *if you've read the book*)

As you may or may not know, I've been training Jake 3x/day everyday since we got him @ 9weeks old. He knows the basic Sit, Down, Play Dead when shot at like "bang", Wait, Come, Give Paw and "Beside" as what others would refer to as Heel. These past weeks, I've been making sure that he gives me eye contact before I give him his breakfast and lunch. I would station his bowl right beside his nose at nose level, and he is required to look at me straight in the eye for 5 secs before I put it down on the floor. In addition to this, I just recently trained him to make eye contact with me when giving him a treat. This time, I would put his cheese on the top of his forehead and continue to make eye contact. Tried putting it on top of his nose today, but with no avail LOL. Will work on that one!

Wait is a basic command that I am trying to bring to another level. I noticed that with "Wait", Jake would actually wait but not long enough to be really called a "wait", more of a "pause". I wanted to train him to really wait - as in for 1 full minute rather than 5 - 10 seconds. So I did. I started with 5 seconds, then 10, then 30 seconds, and then finally, 60! I started by giving him a taste of his favorite treat - Greek Yogurt! Then I would tell him to wait and then I would go and hide. Worked on making it longer until he hit a jackpot. The jackpot was, I placed a tablespoon of his yogurt on a plate and placed it in front of him. I told him to wait and timed it for 1 full minute! Was I anticipating that he would defy me? Heck yes! And he did do it the first time. He moved and tried to reached his yogurt at 40+ seconds. So I approached him and said, "go back". He went back to his spot and I went on mind - hiding. Then my phone rang! Had to go to my bedroom to grab my phone and checked who called and then the next thing I know, I have a few seconds 'til a minute. When I went back to the kitchen, there lies the yogurt untouched! He was drolling and looking at his yogurt! I couldn't be more proud of him. I love him so much!
*cries*

But that's not the milestone! HAHA

Jake was playing in the living room while I was eating dinner all alone and enjoying the sound of his panting and the sound of his paws on the wooden floor. About 30 minutes, he stopped and approached me. Looked at me. Sat in front of me. Did nothing. So I just continued reading and enjoying my dinner. He walked away and went to the back door (for which I cannot see him from where I was at). After a minute or two, he came back to me, sat in front of me and did nothing. Same as before, just totally ignored him, he walked away and went to the back door. The back door is 2 rooms aways from where I was at. The 3rd time he came back to me, I had the feeling that he was calling me to follow him. So I stood up and followed him. He went to the door waiting for me to open it up and there he RAN to the backyard and go poo! I was like "WOW!" I couldn't be more proud of my baby that he made my heart dance. Of course until he waits for me to wipe his butt LOL. It's our routine that I cannot go away with.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
WOW!!! Sounds like you have been working really hard w/Jake, and it shows… Wally is 7 mos and we haven't started major training yet, I leave that to the professionals. My dog trainer Leah is amazing… Lol

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Awesome Jake!!! I would love to see you do your tricks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
JakeP

JakeP

May 6, 2014
Burbank CA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
[MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] Actually my training with Jake normally last 2 minutes. Except this last time when I required him to really wait. But it is our normal routine that he knows when it's his training time. My husband and I were laughing when we heard him running to the kitchen door this morning. He was outside playing while we're were in the kitchen getting ready for breakfast. I was playing with his clickers selecting which one to give out to a friend of ours who recently acquired a puppy. He heard the clicker and probably thought "Yay! Training time! " lol. I realized first hand that yes they do love routine. So much that he predicts what my sequence of commands and sites the trick before I even asked him. Of course he doesn't get anything for doing those tricks hehe
[MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION] I did post an old one here awhile back and that was taken at night time. I was thinking of getting that GoPro camera to capture him coz when I do hold my phone and "paste" it on face to capture the activity, he stops paying attention and just gets curious as to what I'm holding. But I'll try to capture it again before investing in a GoPro.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
@JakeP WoW! That is so wonderful! You will have such a well trained boy! Mine are pretty spoiled-I was happy to get them potty trained!:yes: They DO listen(when they feel like it...)

OP
JakeP

JakeP

May 6, 2014
Burbank CA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
[MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] yes they listen sometimes when they feel like it. I get frustrated when he hides under my bed coz he just doesn't want to come out. More so when I'm upset and poke him with a stick! Then I use the "beside" word and then he comes running to me. It's my emergency word for him.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
@JakeP Well, gee whiz-he's got to be a "normal" bulldog occasionally!!! He's got to "sull up" once in awhile-or he wouldn't BE a Bullie!!!:haha:

OP
JakeP

JakeP

May 6, 2014
Burbank CA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
[MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] You are totally right!! Lol

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
What a good boy and so smart too :2thumbs:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
FANTASTIC.... great work Momma! and what a very good and smart bully boy you have in Jake!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online