Treamill Training?

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
Does anyone's bully USE the treadmill, as in actually walk on it. Ive seen several great pictures of them working on their naps BUT just curious if they ever use it to exercise.

I just bought a treadmill and Goob stares at me the ENTIRE time I'm running on it. When I stop to get a drink, he sits on it and won't get off!!! HA...I'm glad he's not scared of it. I've turned it on several times while holding him on it but he just jumps off.

Any suggestions?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] --- I think her Wilson has been on it a few times.

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
I think it is a great idea if he will do it. I would not run it an anything faster than a medium to brisk walk and never leave him unattended. If you let him walk several minutes a day he may actually like it! Just make sure you are watching him the whole time to get him off if he starts showing signs of overheating like excessive panting.
I had a treadmill especially made for dogs when I used to foster yorkies and do their rehab on it. It was made by a company called Pawwws that I am sure is out of business by now. At any rate, I am mentioning this because I would never recommend buying a "dog" treadmill to anyone. Though the one I had looked cool, as it was made for small dogs, it used cheap chinese parts and after it suddenly went hyper speed after a malfunction while a dog was on it, throwing him against the wall, i will never use another.
I have never heard of this happening on a human treadmill and people use them for their dogs all the time. Good luck and post pics or a video if you can get him to do it.

OP
Goob14

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
I think it is a great idea if he will do it. I would not run it an anything faster than a medium to brisk walk and never leave him unattended. If you let him walk several minutes a day he may actually like it! Just make sure you are watching him the whole time to get him off if he starts showing signs of overheating like excessive panting.
I had a treadmill especially made for dogs when I used to foster yorkies and do their rehab on it. It was made by a company called Pawwws that I am sure is out of business by now. At any rate, I am mentioning this because I would never recommend buying a "dog" treadmill to anyone. Though the one I had looked cool, as it was made for small dogs, it used cheap chinese parts and after it suddenly went hyper speed after a malfunction while a dog was on it, throwing him against the wall, i will never use another.
I have never heard of this happening on a human treadmill and people use them for their dogs all the time. Good luck and post pics or a video if you can get him to do it.

Thanks for all the advice!!! Goob LOVES to play/exercise and I figured that if I could treadmill train him, then we could put him on it when it's raining outside. I totally agree with you as to NEVER leave him unattended:). I don't even let him potty without me hahaha. I have put him on the machine while standing over him and holding his tummy so if he decides to stop...he wont hit the wall (I keep it on the SLOWEST setting possible). The thing is, he it ALL over the machine when I rest and have a water break but when we are on it together, he will jump off of the side in a matter of seconds. I don't want to MAKE him do it...I just thought it would be so CUTE if he got the hang of it.

Im thinking that if my husband stands in front of him with a treat, he might keep walking forward while I hold his tummy???? Maybe that will be the next adventure!

P.S. I don't blame you for not putting another dog on those doggy treadmills!!! That must have been so scary and heart wrenching to see!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online