Crate training at night

C

Chelseaay

I was just wondering how other people have crate trained there bully's at night, our boy is toilet trained when he is out of his crate he knows to go outside but when he's in his crate when we are out or at night he goes all the time, sometimes he not even go out before bed and then does something in his crate as soon as he is in. We praise him and treat him everytime he goes outside so he knows he is doing right, I just don't know what to do to crate train him, any suggestions? Would be great :)

Bella and Dozers Dad

Community Veteran
Feb 2, 2014
Clayton, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dozer and Koda
What do you have in the crate with him, any blankets and how old is he? If I have a blanket in any of my dogs crates they will pee on them.

OP
C

Chelseaay

He's 4.5 months, he used to have blanket and newspaper but he would just toilet on them and screw them up so we stopped putting them in as it was very messy

OP
C

Chelseaay

What do you have in the crate with him, any blankets and how old is he? If I have a blanket in any of my dogs crates they will pee on them.

He's 4.5 months, he used to have blanket and newspaper but he would just toilet on them and screw them up so we stopped putting them in as it was very messy

Miami927

Jul 21, 2014
Indiana
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Miami & Maddox
Do you have a crate divider so that way he only has room to turn around? You could also try feeding him in his crate. I feed my 15 week old breakfast every morning in hers. That seemed to help. I still get up twice a night to let her out, one day soon I hope I will get to sleep a whole night through 😴I wish you luck:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C

Chelseaay

Do you have a crate divider so that way he only has room to turn around? You could also try feeding him in his crate. I feed my 15 week old breakfast every morning in hers. That seemed to help. I still get up twice a night to let her out, one day soon I hope I will get to sleep a whole night through 😴I wish you luck:)

The crates only big enough for him to turn round, we tried feeding him in there but it didn't stop him, hopefully he will get out of the habit, thank you :)

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Do you know how long he can hold it yet? What time do you put him to "bed?"

At about 17 weeks (4.5 months) he might not be able to hold it for a long time.

For a while I would wake up around 2 or 3 in the morning to let Curly out even though I put him to bed at 10. And then take him out at 7 in the morning. Basically I kept consistent at letting him go out every 4 hours until he was able to hold it longer - this happened around 6-7 months. We barely had any accidents in the house during the whole housebreaking phase - we actually didn't use a crate because it was too hot for him to stay in (we were living in LA at the time).

Good luck with everything! Bully's do take a bit longer to get housebreaking but do not get frustrated :) you're both training each other at this phase!

OP
C

Chelseaay

Do you know how long he can hold it yet? What time do you put him to "bed?"

At about 17 weeks (4.5 months) he might not be able to hold it for a long time.

For a while I would wake up around 2 or 3 in the morning to let Curly out even though I put him to bed at 10. And then take him out at 7 in the morning. Basically I kept consistent at letting him go out every 4 hours until he was able to hold it longer - this happened around 6-7 months. We barely had any accidents in the house during the whole housebreaking phase - we actually didn't use a crate because it was too hot for him to stay in (we were living in LA at the time).

Good luck with everything! Bully's do take a bit longer to get housebreaking but do not get frustrated :) you're both training each other at this phase!

He goes to bed about midnight, and we let him out around 3am and he doesn't do anything outside we let him back in after a while and we get up about 7am and he's done toilet in his crate, it is frustrating but I know he's only a pup so it's easier to keep calm :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.