URGENT!!! House training problems with my bulldog

Boo bull

Aug 16, 2014
Country
Gibraltar
Bulldog(s) Names
Lexi
Hi I hope that someone can help me. I have a bitch bulldog that is 2 yrs. I have always lived in an apartment and had my bulldog fully house trained that she went outside on the balcony or on her walks. She was great and never had problems for about a year since being a puppy. She even does not pee on her bed anymore which is one of there greatest traits. I know that she does not like any change at all and know a lot about bully's and was very prepared with her. I have now moved to a new home for about one week now and my bulldog is not house trained she will not go on the balcony is reluctant to poo or wee on walks unless she is busting. But she is quite happy to poo and wee on my floor and even on my kids and my own beds. I have done all the encouragement like I done when I first house trained her but she doesn't respond at all. Just refuses to go by sitting and looking at me. I don't know what else to try, I work on reward basis as she normally responds well to this but if she refuses to go how can I reward her. Please help as I love my bulldog and she is great but this is so disheartening and I have run out of new ideas to conquer this. Please help!

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Ugh, I was going to suggest to start right from the beginning - as if she was a puppy.

Have you tried crating her while you are out and keeping her by you while you are home and seeing if you can get on top of things that way?

I've always found my bullies are driven by positive reinforcement (getting upset at the mess never did much) so maybe give lots of love and treats when Lexi eliminates outside?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well bullies like things to be constant, and don't like change, so the move must have her off. Try to keep your patience and keep working with her, I have a feeling, she will come around soon, once she gets used to the new place.

OP
B

Boo bull

Aug 16, 2014
Country
Gibraltar
Bulldog(s) Names
Lexi
Hi I hope that someone can help me. I have a bitch bulldog that is 2 yrs. I have always lived in an apartment and had my bulldog fully house trained that she went outside on the balcony or on her walks. She was great and never had problems for about a year since being a puppy. She even does not pee on her bed anymore which is one of there greatest traits. I know that she does not like any change at all and know a lot about bully's and was very prepared with her. I have now moved to a new home for about one week now and my bulldog is not house trained she will not go on the balcony is reluctant to poo or wee on walks unless she is busting. But she is quite happy to poo and wee on my floor and even on my kids and my own beds. I have done all the encouragement like I done when I first house trained her but she doesn't respond at all. Just refuses to go by sitting and looking at me. I don't know what else to try, I work on reward basis as she normally responds well to this but if she refuses to go how can I reward her. Please help as I love my bulldog and she is great but this is so disheartening and I have run out of new ideas to conquer this. Please help!

I have tried to have my eyes on her at all times and she hasn't a problem with doing it in front of us. The mad thing is she knows it's wrong as she looks ashamed. If I could just get her to go outside just once I feel that I would break the cycle. The problem is getting her to go outside just once. Any ideas!! I sat with her for 2 hours this morning encouraging and praising her for stepping outside but just wouldn't go. Thanks for your comments and she is adorable that I will persevere but if anyone has an idea of getting her to go outside just once that would be my lifesaver.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
This can be brutal... As Jill and David mention, she needs to get used to the new surroundings. If you have the time, take her for a walk and stay out till she goes. My sister had this issue with her Pug and that was that only thing that finally worked... The get her back on a schedule to keep her on track.

potty training at a new home is just brutal and can be a long road for some

best of luck

Donald Bothem

Aug 18, 2014
since this thread is about house training I thought I would start here, if it is the wrong place please let me know. We have a female bull that is about 7 months old. She is being crate trained. She will go outside when we take her and do the wee and poo for about a week, then she seems to forget what she is suppose to do and go outside and just lay down in the grass. If I go and sit in my chair she will follow me and eventually will get up and wee and maybe poo. If she does not poo after 15-20 minutes we bring her in and to crate she goes. There have been times when she has eaten at 0800 and not gone either for almost 8 hours. Yesterday was one of those days she just would not do anything when taken out and we took her out about every hour. She finally went just before 5 when she was suppose to eat. We let her play for about a half hour and fed her and then to the crate. Took her out about a hour or so later and she did both. Kept her out the rest of the night and played. She went out with my wife about midnight and again did both. This morning she went out prior to breakfast did both and was fed. This again was about 7:30 or 8. I got up at 9 and she had already peed and poop in her crate. Now the crate is just big enough for her and she has a small pillow in it to lay on and a water bottle that she can drink from. She poop through the bars so it was on the carpet and some in her crate.

We are so frustrated. If we let her out into the house without a lease she will pee and poop in the house without fail. Even after taking her out and her doing it outside. There are days when she does both four or five times and then days where she goes only twice and does not mess her crate. We have taken her outside and she has done both and we have let her out to play just to find another pile on the floor.

We know she understands what to do cause we use the word outside and she goes crazy and then just lays in the grass or goes and does both. It is like she is just to lazy to do what she knows she is suppose to do and we do praise her when she goes.

Anybody else have a problem like this?

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
It can be very hard with bulldogs ,they are renowned for difficult house breaking,the only thing is to go back to basics,even using puppy pads to establish where to toilet in the house if they do decide to have an accident,confinement to 1 room if not supervised and a long walk to encourage to toilet outside,and carry a treat with you and if they do toilet outside then reward with the treat ,also find a spot where a dog has already peed,difficult I know but if you see a dog peeing take your dog straight to it to sniff ,most dogs can't resist peeing over it lol,it can be very frustrating I know but just ignore any accidents ,clean up using white vinegar ,your dog will relearn eventually

boogie

Aug 26, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
I think 2BullyMama got it right. Take your dog for a walk and stay out until your dog takes care of business. Then reward her.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.