Laura D

Jul 28, 2014
Tenerife, canary islands, Spain
Country
Spain
Bulldog(s) Names
Leila
Dear bulldog lovers.

Im having an issue with Leila, my 6 month old bulldog. Firstly she HATES walking, if you take her to an Un-known place, she'll walk fine, but trying to get her out of the house, NIGHTMARE!
we live in an apartment so obviously walking is part of our routine, all I do try not to over-exercise her if you like as I know she dislikes it, I do still need to take her downstairs 4/5 times a day to do er business. She will reluctantly go 90% of the time however she'll then have like a "mini trantrum" before she goes back int he house, she also sometimes does this before we even make it to the door.
she'll run at me, bite my legs/shoes/ankles, basically anything on me that she can reach, and it's painful and upsetting. She's a good dog, very social, very loving and normally not a problem, but this biting is out of control.......
Please help!

OP
L

Laura D

Jul 28, 2014
Country
Spain
Bulldog(s) Names
Leila
Dear bulldog lovers.

Im having an issue with Leila, my 6 month old bulldog. Firstly she HATES walking, if you take her to an Un-known place, she'll walk fine, but trying to get her out of the house, NIGHTMARE!
we live in an apartment so obviously walking is part of our routine, all I do try not to over-exercise her if you like as I know she dislikes it, I do still need to take her downstairs 4/5 times a day to do er business. She will reluctantly go 90% of the time however she'll then have like a "mini trantrum" before she goes back int he house, she also sometimes does this before we even make it to the door.
she'll run at me, bite my legs/shoes/ankles, basically anything on me that she can reach, and it's painful and upsetting. She's a good dog, very social, very loving and normally not a problem, but this biting is out of control.......
Please help!

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Have ou tried rewarding her with a high value treat that you only use when she goes outside? It might make her more open to the trek downstairs. Also, does she seem afraid of anything when you're walking outside? The elevator maybe? Perhaps something like that could be causing her to dislike going out. As for the ankle biting, Ruckus had sharky tendencies when he was a puppy and he loved to go for your shoes and pant legs like it was his favorite game...it took a lot of patience and firmly telling him no and waiting for him to calm down. She'll grow out of it!

OP
L

Laura D

Jul 28, 2014
Country
Spain
Bulldog(s) Names
Leila
Thanks for your reply Jackie, Ruckus is gorgeous! ;-)

She actually doesn't seem scared of anything, she walks in the lift no problem, down the hall way and mostly even to the door, it's just when she gets outside! I know she's not keen on the heat, so that could be a factor, although some evenings even she just refuses!
But I'll definitely try your suggestion with the 'high value' treat, maybe even a piece of ham etc, because we very very rarely feed her human food.
thank you again for your help :-)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Use this training method with her at all times and as Jackie stated, use a high value treat for the walks. Lella is in her 'toddler' years and is puhing her limits, she needs to know you are her alpha and to obey when you are walking her. Good luck and please keep us posted

What is "Nothing in Life is Free"?

You have resources—food, treats, toys, and attention. Your dog wants those resources. Make him earn them. That's the basis of "Nothing in Life is Free." When your dog does what you want, he gets rewarded with the thing he wants.
You may also hear this aspect of training called "No Free Lunch" or "Say Please." Those are just other names for "Nothing in Life is Free."

How to practice "Nothing in Life is Free"

1. First, use positive reinforcement methods to teach your dog a few commands and/or tricks. "Sit," "Down," "Come," and "Stay" are useful commands. "Shake," "Speak," and "Roll over" are fun tricks to teach your dog.

2. Stop giving away resources. Do you mindlessly pet your dog for no reason? Stop. Your attention is a valuable resource to your dog. Don't give it away. Make him earn it.

3. Once your dog has mastered a few commands, you can begin to practice "Nothing In Life Is Free."
Before you give your dog anything (food, a treat, a walk, etc.) he must first perform one of the commands he has learned. For example:

• In order for you to put your dog's leash on to go for a walk, he must sit until you've put the leash on.
  • When you feed your dog, he must sit and stay until you've put the bowl on the floor.
  • Play a game of fetch after work and make your dog sit and "shake hands" each time you throw the toy.
  • Rub your dog's belly while watching TV, but make him lie down and roll over before being petted.

4. Once you've given the command, don't give your dog what he wants until he does what you want. If he refuses to perform
the command, don't give in. Be patient and remember that eventually he will have to obey your command to get what he wants.

5. Make sure your dog knows the command well and understands what you want before you begin practicing "Nothing in Life is Free."

The benefits of this technique

Requiring your dog to work for everything he wants is a safe, positive, non-confrontational way to establish your leadership position.
Even if your dog never displays aggressive behavior such as growling, snarling, or snapping, he can still manipulate you. He may be affectionate to the point of being "pushy," such as nudging your hand to be petted or "worming" his way onto the furniture to be close to you. This technique gently reminds the dog that he must abide by your rules.
Fearful dogs may become more confident by obeying commands. As they succeed in learning more tricks, their continued success will increase confidence and ultimately lead them to feeling more comfortable and less stressed.

Why this technique works

Dogs want good stuff. If the only way to get it is to do what you ask, they'll do it.
Good leadership encourages good behavior by providing the guidance and boundaries dogs need.
Practicing "Nothing in Life is Free" gently and effectively communicates to your dog that you are the leader because you control all the resources.

BoldDeGuard

Aug 4, 2014
Montana
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir BoldDeGuard
I'm curious if it could be a fear stage? My lab at 6 months suddenly became afraid to leave our house for a walk even though she too loved people and being out.. I was told dogs go through several fear stages through their development, the first is normally around 6 months of age. I was told to continue her walks and keep a calm demeanor and let her have the time she needed, as well as set her up for success and avoid frightening things. Loud noises and too much stimulus. In my case she got over it in a months time. Maybe look up fear stages in dogs. And as for the temper tantrum going back inside, it sounds fairly normal for her age. Like 2 BullyMama said "NILF" works wonders for those situations. Good luck!

Starkie

Dec 8, 2012
Northern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Walley-Bubba aka Wooley Bulley aka Walter! aka Landi!!
Dear bulldog lovers.
she'll run at me, bite my legs/shoes/ankles, basically anything on me that she can reach
Please help!

Walley-Bubba went through a phase of doing this when he was also 6 months old.
He thought he was playing.
He soon grew out of it and I don't think his hearing was too badly damaged :)

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Jewel would do the ankle biting after she did her business. We were advised to use a squirt bottle with water. When she went after our feet/ankle we squirted the water on her back (not face). It seemed to work pretty good becasue when she saw the bottle she would stop her thinking about biting us. But she has had relapses.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
Biting needs to be corrected immediately a very very firm no whilst sprayed with water in the face works well usually !,if you have a friend who walks their dog then try asking them to call for you and try walking the dogs together from your front door that usually works also

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.