Struggling with Biting, or not releasing

LordStanley

Apr 1, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lord Stanley
Hi all. Need some help/advice.

Stanley is 10 months old. Fully grown, big guy. 65 lbs.

Today he was chewing on a carpet in our laundry room (rubber mat material) and when he had a piece in his mouth, he would not drop it. Now when he was smaller, I would just pry his mouth open and remove it. Well, he's too strong for that now, and today when my wife tried to do that, he bit down hard on her hand and drew blood. This is the first time that he has "bitten" any of us. What do we do to get things out of his mouth that he should not have, or are potentially dangerous if he swallows them? I don't know how to back him down when he's that fired up or in the "red zone" so to speak.

He does not listen to the "drop it" command, or "release".. We can't seem to get him to do that. Maybe we haven't worked hard enough at it, but we are struggling with getting him to listen.. I think he feels like he's in charge of the house.

How do we correct this, now that he's 10 months old and feels like he runs the place?

Help me Bulldog Forum, You're my only hope..........

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I have had to pry things out of the mouth. I have been bitten by accident because of the dog trying to get a better grip on the item. I knew it was not out of meanness
Do you think your dog bit your wife aggressively, or was he just trying to get a better grip on his prize? That could make a big difference, in my opinion. I have always taken things from them as pups, and "pestered" them as pups, when they were eating-to make sure they never growled or bit at me-out of dominance. Mine are rowdy, but don't dare bite or growl at me. If it was out of aggression,start feeding him by hand, and taking things from him whenever you want to. It is not too late to start over. It could have been accidental-only you or your wife could determine that. [MENTION=11525]LordStanley[/MENTION]

OP
LordStanley

LordStanley

Apr 1, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lord Stanley
I believe it was exactly as you said it. He was trying to get a better grip on his "prize", but I wasn't there. I will ask her when I get home. However, I guess that my question still is "How do you get him to release/drop things that he values?" I don't want to reward the behavior by distracting him with a treat/cheese. (cheese is his kryptonite, he can't resist it, but we use it as a reward for good behavior).

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I believe it was exactly as you said it. He was trying to get a better grip on his "prize", but I wasn't there. I will ask her when I get home. However, I guess that my question still is "How do you get him to release/drop things that he values?" I don't want to reward the behavior by distracting him with a treat/cheese. (cheese is his kryptonite, he can't resist it, but we use it as a reward for good behavior).

Use the cheese as a reward for listening to the command 'drop it'... he releases, gets the cheese and then slowly work to 'drop it' with a good boy reward and no cheese. Also, never take a 'prize/toy' away and not return it at some point, he could begin to resource guard knowing that if I let it go.... it is gone. Keep it positive reinforcment.

This can help too..... http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...85-Nothing-in-Life-is-Free-training-technique

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Well, my guess would be to use a piece of cheese-show him it, and say "Drop it". If he drops it-then he can be rewarded by having the cheese-for dropping it! If he doesn't drop it-run it past his nose and try again. The reward of cheese would be for dropping the item-which WOULD be good behavior.

OP
LordStanley

LordStanley

Apr 1, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lord Stanley
Thanks everyone.. We will try these methods..

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
[MENTION=11525]LordStanley[/MENTION]. Play the game, but prep yourself with a metal tin 1/4 full of coins .when your baby gets rough shake the tin and say No in a firm voice.
9 times out of 10 they will crap themselves.
And every day be armed lol.

Let me know how you get on

Jj

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.