What to do?

RDG670

Aug 7, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky
Hello, this is my first post on the forum, but have viewed topics for great information before. Last week (7/31/14) we purchased a male English Bulldog for our family. The breeder was located and KY and we drove from VA to pick him up. On the day of purchase he turned nine weeks old and weighed about eight pounds. It was a nine hour drive from KY back to VA and I think he did a great job. He cried for a bit at first in his crate and each time we put him back in after a potty/water/gas break. When we picked him up the breeder said its going to be a long night. They had him away from his pack (brothers/sisters) the previous night and he apparently was none to happy. How little did we know how unhappy he would be his first couple of nights.

The first night home we made sure he was super tired and physically/mentally ready for bed. We sat his crate (big enough for him to move and lay down) in our room and shut off the lights. Before we put him in his crate we made sure he was in a calm state and comfortable with going in. We also wanted him in our bedroom so he could hear and smell his new pack, since he was being taken away from his original. He was quiet for about 30 seconds and then went into a wild fit. We have crate trained seven or eight dogs in the past and have never heard anything like this :ohmy:. The only thing close was a pit bull puppy we rescued at five weeks of age. For that we totally understood, as everyone knows what a puppy being separated from mom/pack that early leads to. Needless to say it was a long night, but we know its a long road with a new puppy.

The second day home we took him to our local vet for a check up and his second round of shots. The vet found an infection in both ears, updated all shots, gave us meds and we were on our way. After finding out he had an ear infection, we thought we had found the reason for his super long night. Fully medicated and mentally/physically trained we prepared for our second night home. The second night was more of the same. Violent scratching, crying and biting at his crate all night long. During both episodes we used a combination of crate tips/tricks found on here and by reading and listening to Cesar.

Despite those few long nights he has settled down and the last couple of nights has slept for five or six hours at a time. This is unusually for his age (ten weeks on 8/8/14) but a welcome change. Of course if we hear him cry during a long span we run him out for a potty. For those with new Bulldog pups and going through crate training I will post my big tips. The first tip that really seemed to help was laying beside his crate until he entered a calm state. The calm state I see in Rocky is yawing, and laying down. I never walk away from the crate unless he is in this calm state. The second tip is, placing light sheets/shirts(we have used) over all sides of his crate with the exception of his front door. I know each puppy is different, but these two things have worked for us.

With crate training going in the right direction we moved the focus to potty training. We live on the third floor of a luxury apartment in the middle of a town center so we have been using a combination of real puppy grass on our patio and taking him outside to the puppy stations. With constant monitoring (like every 30 mins) and breaks after every water/food/play session he has done well. The full time system we have used has made it almost impossible for him to have an accident. With that said if he is not mentally happy, he will just pee for no reason :evil:
When I say mentally happy I mean: a)We step out of his puppy play area in the house and don't take him. b) is not happy with multiple corrections and is not getting his way. c) goes in his crate without being 100% exhausted. We have owned several breeds of dogs, including Akitas (know stubborn breed) and have never gone through this. With that being said we read plenty of Bulldog potty horror stories and are/were prepared for a long road.

Our biggest issue and the only one we need help with ASAP is the most serious. We have read plenty on the English Bulldog and understand and have witnessed puppies talk with their teeth. However, the bitting that Rocky does is completely over the line. Since we brought him home he has been nippy and displayed your typical puppy bites. We have used tips from this forum, Cesar and from owning other big biters (American Bulldog, APBT, SBT, Dogo Bordeaux, GSD) . These tips and tricks have done little to slow down Rocky. Again, we were prepared for a long road, but have run into a major problem. When outside our neighbor sometimes brings her Wheaton Terrier (also a puppy 5 months) to play with Rocky. Rocky is more serious than Milo (the terrier) and really seems to not enjoy his company. Rocky has since started to show is displeasure with Milo by bitting and holding(1 or 2 seconds) on to him. We would correct him and then put him in a relaxed state, but the actions continued. The last time Milo came out Rocky bit him so hard Milo cried and sat down. Now Milo does not come out to play anymore and other dog owners in the building seem to avoid us. We already have Rocky signed up for puppy classes, but he can't start till he turns ten weeks. He will be ten on Friday and he starts classes on Saturday. Unfortunately that is not the worst situation we have with biting. Yesterday when both my son and I were sitting and playing with Rocky he bit my son in the face. The bite left three long bite marks from his nose to his upper lip (almost looks like a cat scratch). My son is now very scared to play with Rocky and Rocky picks up on that energy.

Before getting an English Bulldog we did a lot of research and reading. We knew we had to make a smart decision on our dog breed because of our unique situation. Two years ago I was involved in a serious accident with a tractor trailer. It left me with a mild/moderate traumatic brain injury and a long road to recover. We use to own a large home in the country, but had to move to a smaller, city center, low maintenance home to aid in my recover. We spend the first year at our new home getting me on good system and controlling my health. This summer with my wife home (a teacher) we decided to purchase a puppy. We needed something under fifty pounds, good with children, and could be happy without a big yard. We also wanted something with low energy so I could handle it during the day once my wife and son went back to school. We thought the English Bulldog would make the perfect best friend for my son, and companion for me during the days. We have put copious amounts of energy, time and money into Rocky. With that being said, its only been a week, but if the serious biting continues we may have to find Rocky a new forever home :(

BoldDeGuard

Aug 4, 2014
Montana
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir BoldDeGuard
Hello there :) I'm in the same situation as you, with the sharky tough boy, 9 weeks old :) It really sounds like your on the right road to me. I ALWAYS keep a toy in hand for my boy and shove it right in his mouth as he lunges at me. I think we just have aceptionaly rambunctious boys, but it WILL pass. Keep up with what your doing and I'm sure he will catch on. Oh and the talking they do,LOL, I've never heard sounds like that before, I wasn't prepared, especially when he's having a tantrum.

Good luck and let us know if you find something to help.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
:hiii::welcome:to EBN hope this helps and am sure others will try as well. My pup is 5 months old and still softly mouths my hands the odd bite while playing with toys. One thing never play tug of war until they know not to bite. This is very common in bullys and had me wondering what i had done and what did i buy. He bit neighbors, family and even my vet who said he never gets bitten. Just finished puppy class it taught me lots, him a little but in time with me doing my end he will learn a lot as well. What helped for me was learning how to do a time out and putting him in his pen, play time over instantly. This is common it is not just your dog, time and training will help with the biting and Food is different with Bulldogs as well as most are allergic to chicken and will lose hair and get yeasty. I feed my pup Fromm puppy food and will be switching to Fromm Adult as soon as this bag we are on is finished. Hopefully this has not scared you they are fantastic pets or fur-babies if you will. Making your dog earn things is fantastic advice who dosent like a well trained dog

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Hi and welcome:) The biting is a typical bulldog thing and he will most likely get over it. My Boeboe was hanging on to our legs constantly when she was a puppy, didn't listen and certainly didn't let it go no matter what, cute when they're really small, not so cute when they get a little older:fie:. I know they seem crazy and it's SO exhausting having them launch at you every awake moment but trust me it will pass. Like others have said, keep a toy close and direct him to bite it when he starts, if he bites your hand to hard let him know it hurts by telling him, he will probably not care at first but when he gets older he will realize what it means:) Don't give up on him, if this is your first bulldog you are in for something special<3

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
:welcome:to EBN. Do not give up so soon. I have had many dogs(thus the name) in my lifetime,because I've always had several at a time. The English Bulldogs were the "bitenist" if that's even a word...pups I've ever had. It takes awhile to get through to them that biting people is not part of the plan. It will take constant work on everyone's part, and having plenty of tough chew toys to stick in their mouth whenever they bite you or your child. You have all got to keep at it. Do not let the pup jump up, and do not let your child sit on the floor with the pup, until it learns not to bite him. This will be WORK until they lose their puppy teeth-then it will settle down. Most likely the pup had NO boundaries before you got him, also. It WILL work out-hard work now will pay off. You may not thinks so-but like the training says "nothing in life is free" Hang in there! @RDG670 :bully: Someday you will be thankful that you did not give up. We have most all been there with little sharks!!!

buffym

Apr 30, 2013
Allen Park, Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie, Dually (Forever in my Heart)
We got our bulldog at 9 months so I never dealt with that with him. However, we just got a boxer puppy who is 10 weeks now and is constantly biting either us or our bulldog. I have learned to distract him with a toy and it does seem to help. It just takes time. Good luck with your puppy!!

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
Hilda is 8 months old and is just slowing down with the nipping feet malarkey,you have to be very very tough on bulldogs as they know no boundaries at all ,start obedience training now and only reward when puppy has done what you ask not what he wants,you can use a squirts bottle with just water in it,squirt him in the face and very sternly tell him Jo,unfortunatly this is the worst stage of a bulldog as they're testing just how far they can go,by the way none of my previous bulldogs lasted until 8 months before finaly maturing enough to stop

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Winnie is almost 5 months old and is no longer biting us. But for a couple of months it was brutal! The biting was constant--arms, hands, legs. We couldn't walk without getting our pants ripped or legs torn up. We would offer her toys and other stuff to chew on and it barely slowed her down. I didn't much want to do it, but I got a squirt bottle filled with water and every time she bit anyone she got squirted in the face and a "no bite!" It took a couple of weeks and probably wouldn't have taken so long if we were more consistent about carrying the bottle around all the time. She would fuss at me when she got squirted, but she didn't like it and she finally quit the biting. After a while, when she would bite I could just get the bottle and show it to her and she would stop. Now I don't need it at all, I just say "no bite!"​ Of course, she still nibbles softly or not so softly once in a while, just to see if she can get away with it--always testing aren't they, like little kids! But, please hang in there--it will be worth the wait!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
As others have said, don't give up on him now. It will get better, just redirect with a toy and when he gets too bad, it's time for a nap in his crate. Pups need their sleep, and like skin kids, when they get tired, they go crazy. So let him play for 30 to 40 minutes and then it's time for a nap. It will get better, and you will look back on this and miss these times. Bullies have so much love to give, you will be glad you weathered this storm.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
As others have said, don't give up on him now. It will get better, just redirect with a toy and when he gets too bad, it's time for a nap in his crate. Pups need their sleep, and like skin kids, when they get tired, they go crazy. So let him play for 30 to 40 minutes and then it's time for a nap. It will get better, and you will look back on this and miss these times. Bullies have so much love to give, you will be glad you weathered this storm.

I so agree with David! When Winnie is bouncing off the walls and acting crazier than usual, she needs a nap. I put her in the crate and she crashes! That is the time when she's liable to do the worst biting!

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online