Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
Hello,
It is me again. I am a newbie so everything that happens is totally new to me and I want to be on the right path of training my new family member. I have posted a couple of comments and have received excellent responses.

My boy who is less than 3 mos. old is beginning to hump. As I sit next to him, he will playfully reach for my right arm and start licking my biceps area and start the humping action. I have a teenage daughter and she complains that she is being humped on as well. I have read that this could be the alpha thing and he is trying to exert his dominance. At that age? really?

Anyway, I was told that I should turn the table on him. So I put him on his back and put my hand on his chest for few minutes at a time.

Thoughts?
:unsure:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Jvc. Welcome to EBN, and Congratulations on your new baby Harvey. I agree with your comments and you are doing the right things to correct him. It is true that they hump to show dominance, it was my female that tried to hump us more than our male did. I didn't even realize that a female dog jumped, but I learned they do this to show dominance. You have to show him your the plack leader, and be firm and correct him. The method you are using is great. Harvey hasn't been neutered yet, and he may stop humping after he is, but that's not always the case.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
They can even start younger, just tell him NO!! then make him stop. Keep telling him NO and push him down if you have to, he will get the message soon enough. Henri still tries it every once in awhile to Hazel or Hilary when they are playing, and now all I have to do is say his name and he stops.

pattonsmom

Apr 9, 2014
CT
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
General Patton
I got my puppy at 7 weeks and at 8 weeks he started humping. He is now almost 7 months and one day he just stopped doing it completely all on his own. There is a chance that yours will just outgrow it as well. Fingers crossed? Patton has outgrown it for months now, maybe because he started so young? Hang in there!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online