New English Bulldog mom, with questions.

BoldDeGuard

Aug 4, 2014
Montana
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir BoldDeGuard
Hello everyone, I've been reading through the stickies and I have a few questions. I see that Cesar is very popular for training here and I was wondering if I need to change my style.

Bolder is only my second dog and I'm becoming very aware of his differences from my Labrador. (1 1/2 yo)

Currently I am using a very soft form of NILF, for both dogs. This is all Bells my lab needs. She is a soft and submissive pup with really sweet manners and personality. I play games like tug with her, because winning is never her goal. Simply playing is her desire and if she should win, she instantly puts it back in my hand to continue the game. But as I understand, this isn't a good idea in Cesar's book. I havent yet played tug with him, (I'm not sure I will) But the two dogs love playing it. Bells holds the rope while Bolder 9 weeks growles, snarles and uses all of his vocal capabilities to play the game. Is this a bad idea to allow this type of play between them? Should I NOT play games like tug with my EB?

Also, I have a sneaky suspicion that he may be an Alfa in the making. He fears NOTHING in general, but if something should surprise him, he charges head long barking and growling. Nothing stops him ever. He is really sweet, but a normal sharky baby, so I'm simply using a toy to divert him from biting me. Is this still appropriate? I don't feel dominating him is a good idea at 9 weeks.

He has also started humping and nursing on our Lab and she's ok with it. :eek: I feel a neutering happening much sooner than I had planed lol.

But all in all, I LOVE him. He's my shadow and my lap nap buddy. Potty training has been, almost too easy. I'm afraid he's just setting me up. I've had him 5 days now and he hasn't had an accident. (I know it's a trick)

Well thats it for now..
Thanks Nina

alyw9876

Jul 18, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Milly
Tug is fine. When they are young as long as they aren't snarling or biting you it's okay. Just make sure you pet your dogs head while playing and get close to the mouth and used to it so they don't get older and nip or bite. My Milly plays that' way and the very rare time her teeth just touch my hand she lets go and licks me. Just make sure they know it's a game and if they get aggressive don't continue just put it away and try later.

alyw9876

Jul 18, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Milly
From a few of ceasars books I read a lot about alpha. My Milly is stubborn but I make sure not alpha. If they get too dominant you can snap them put of it by putting them on the side and putting one had on their head and the other on their hip that's not on the ground (not hard just firm). Like this :

y7esebyt.jpg

Works ever time with me.

alyw9876

Jul 18, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Milly
Just do it gently since he's small but don't be scared to dominate him it's not hurting him. Just showing him he's not the boss. It's easier now then it is when he's older

OP
B

BoldDeGuard

Aug 4, 2014
Montana
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir BoldDeGuard
Thank you for the advice. I just wasn't sure, since many people are against the game all together. I've gently rolled him now a few times when he's been too crazy and he easily submits and calms. So we will see how it goes :)

alyw9876

Jul 18, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Milly
It's good that he's good about it already. Mine has a temper tantrum kinda like a toddler until she turned one. (Rolling on her back and stomping her legs ) I love tug with her :) I think depends on the dog too sometimes but it's great with their jaws getting worked on

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We play tug with ours and they are fine, they love it. When two of them play tug together, we will let them until one gets too loud, then we stop it and let them have a break. nothing in life is free is a good way to train in my opinion. Pups need to play ,but they also need to learn not to bite, so giving a toy like you are doing is good. I will say "no bite" and offer the toy. When they get too loud or rambunctious, it's time for a break and a nap. Just like little skin kids, when they get tired, they get crazy. Be careful with the ropes, as strands can come off and either be a chocking hazard, or in some cases get lodged in the intestines. We give Nylabones and Kong toys for ours and Kong has some hard rubber rings that ours will play tug with. Bullies are head strong, but with proper training they will soon learn what is not acceptable, like humping. Anytime I see it, I will tell them NO!! and make them stop, they will soon learn its not accepted. Good luck with your pup, be patient and consistent and before you know it, the puppy days will be over.

OP
B

BoldDeGuard

Aug 4, 2014
Montana
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir BoldDeGuard
Thank you Davidh, so normal positive reinforcement, house manners and soft NILF is fine.

We love nylabones and Kong brand here, their the only toys that ever lasted the lab jaws. I didn't think about rope bits though, thanks for the warning and I've forgotten about naps all together for the babies. Good reminder!
Nina

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We play tug with ours and they are fine, they love it. When two of them play tug together, we will let them until one gets too loud, then we stop it and let them have a break. nothing in life is free is a good way to train in my opinion. Pups need to play ,but they also need to learn not to bite, so giving a toy like you are doing is good. I will say "no bite" and offer the toy. When they get too loud or rambunctious, it's time for a break and a nap. Just like little skin kids, when they get tired, they get crazy. Be careful with the ropes, as strands can come off and either be a chocking hazard, or in some cases get lodged in the intestines. We give Nylabones and Kong toys for ours and Kong has some hard rubber rings that ours will play tug with. Bullies are head strong, but with proper training they will soon learn what is not acceptable, like humping. Anytime I see it, I will tell them NO!! and make them stop, they will soon learn its not accepted. Good luck with your pup, be patient and consistent and before you know it, the puppy days will be over.

agree ^^^ we also play tug until she gets too loud and we also never let her 'win' the tug, we always end with us getting the toy from her.

alyw9876

Jul 18, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Milly
I'm glad all of you agree with tug! Shows its not so bad :) I use ropes with mine but only for tug. She doesn't get them alone I'll just switch her to a different toy when tug is over [MENTION=12543]BoldDeGuard[/MENTION], a couple great toys are KONG wubba and nylabone rubber bone.. here's a pic of them...

ymuzuqav.jpg

y6u5amev.jpg

qa8usede.jpg

I own all of these and they are amazing :)

OP
B

BoldDeGuard

Aug 4, 2014
Montana
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir BoldDeGuard
Lol I have the nylabone with ridges but he hasn't used it yet. He really likes deer antlers so far, we have a dozen sheds. But I wasnt sure about the Kong wubba for the price. I tend to make or "remake" toys form my hubby's old jeans and stuff them with squeakers that have been liberated form other dead toys. :) Ok I'm cheap and with a two big chewers now I have to do something to supplement the daily Bully Stick addiction. Sheese, their chews are more than my old cig habit ever was.

alyw9876

Jul 18, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Milly
Yeah. Well the wubba is only 10$ at my vets office. But when I invest in the toys I've never had to replace them. I used to make some toys with extra fabric but found my girl shredded them quicker then I could fix them plus she ate tiny pieces of it and so I stopped altogether.

OP
B

BoldDeGuard

Aug 4, 2014
Montana
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir BoldDeGuard
Wow, never? We buy only the toughest toys and Bells destroys them in minutes. We once got a tire toy, made of the real deal. I mean serious tread and she chewed it into confetti in an hour lol. Jaws of steal, but she has NEVER destroyed something that didn't belong to her, so I count myself lucky. So I cover cool toys in demnin. Foot balls, squeaky toys and water bottles. I don't work so I guess it's worth the time for me. :)

alyw9876

Jul 18, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Milly
Yeah mine loves empty bottles too but after a few min she's got the lid and wrap off so it's time to take away. KONG is the top of the line for chew toys. The black KONG is for the toughest chewers :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online