Doesn't wanna share his toys

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
Bifi suddenly doesn't wanna share his toys with other dogs. Be it a stick he was playing or regular toys. He used to run around sharing stick with another dog now he is being protective of it. I would pull him down to his side until he calms down but that doesn't seem to work. Should i walk him around after he snarls and snips the other dog then try and make them play again? He's ok when humans take it just not other dogs. It started a couple of days ago with our neighbor's pup. At first i thought he just doesn't like the pup because the pup is still very playful and still has his shark teeth but he did it with another dog (he was protecting a fallen tree branch) that he usually plays with. I was so proud of Bifi being very well socialized then this happens. What's the best way to correct this?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Well, is he just growling and holding on to it? If so, that is what all my dogs do, because when one picks up a toy-then all want that exact toy-even if there are others just like it! That is pretty normal behavior, unless a dog is real submissive. Sometimes mine wind up beginning a serious fight, and then I have to stop them. There is a difference if he drops the toy and attacks the other dog .But if he just won't let them have it that is pretty much a normal reaction. Not wanting to share when they think they have a treasure is pretty normal for dogs and kids! [MENTION=8944]dieMuttivonBifi[/MENTION]

OP
dieMuttivonBifi

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
@Manydogs he would drop the toy or stick then snarls and protects the toy. He doesn't really attack them because he would continue to play after the other dog is gone. Bifi is a pretty submissive boy so this is a very new behavior from him and i don't like it. I usually swiftly correct him when i see him act or do something i don't like but this time the more i correct him the more protective he becomes of his toys or should i say more "aggressive" he becomes. Thing is i don't want this be an established behavior because i want him to continue to play with other dogs with or without toys and not worry if the play would end up in a fight or that he instigated the fight. Any idea how? Any suugestions would be greatly appreciated :).

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
it sounds like he is starting to 'resource guard'.... I tagged Pati as she may have some insight or suggestions. if it is resource guarding, you may want a trainer in to help you work through it. I have heard of and seen it, but am not real sure how to address the behavior.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Hi guys xx so sorry im out and about (for a change lol) it does sound like a start of resource guarding x have a look at my blog post - i tried to explain how to work with a dog that displays this type of behaviour xx
Any questions you might have let me know xx

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online