Help Needed! My lady is too bored or aggressive, maybe both...

MrMister

Jul 26, 2014
Country
Brazil
Bulldog(s) Names
Heidi
My 2 months lady is too bored or aggressive, maybe both...

I'm a first-time bulldog owner. Heidi is 9/10 weeks old, and she's living with me for a week. Since she was born I went to visit her regularly, trying to build a connection to make changes less painful to her in the future. The first day surprised me: she did not cry during the night, she was calm the whole day. The next 2 days as well, but as soon as she realized that this is her home, she naturally started to explore everything and became confident. Some niping, but with just a few times talking to her and showing that biting me was not ok, she bites me now in a soft way. No problem eating, and even potty training was so easy: most of the times she uses either the pad in another room or go to the door waiting to go downstairs (I live at the 9th floor).

So, everything sounds perfect so far, but I maybe made a mistake. I allowed her to stay in the couch with me since day 1. Now, when she wants to come up, she barks. I'm trying to show her that she can stay at the couch with me but she cannot demand it by barking. Not sure I know how to do that, or even if it is a good idea allowing her to come with me. I know it's silly, but I'd really love to have her in the couch with me. Do you guys think it's a good idea to improvise some sort of ramp then she can come by herself?

So far, no separation anxiety signals, but she barks like crazy when she's alone because she cannot go to the couch by herself.

And how to stop her from barking or growling at me? Ignoring did not work as I've heard about it and I'm confused about how to discipline her without making her afraid of me or irreversibly upset. Is that claw thing with the hand a valid tool when saying "No" and staring her with "no-you-cant" eyes? I've even heard that growling to the dog may work, I did it twice and it worked but I'm afraid this may only make Heidi see me as an annoyance, and I'm looking to build a strong bond with her.

Well, sorry for the long text! I really appreciate any help, a bit lost on how to behave.

ps: I read "Bulldogs for dummies" and "How to Raise a Perfect Dog" so far looking for tips but the "mental power" on the second book is too mystic for me, it seems my dog does not understand silent commands with my inner energie. lol

Last edited:

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Re: My 2 months lady is too bored or aggressive, maybe both...

Shes still a pup - lilly used to do it as a signal that she wants something -usually for a young bulldog its hard to get on the sofa on their own -besides its also an accident waiting to happen if she might slip and fall while trying to jump up -shes just signalling you that she wants to go on the sofa

With regards to bully being on the sofa or not-this is entirely your decision -but whatever you decide -stick to it , your baby will soon learn that "no" means" no "
We never made any ramps we just picked our girls on the sofa when we were home x

Growling -in pups its usually frustration / or in play natural reaction ;-)

Separation anxiety -how do you do it ? Do you just go out or lock her and she can still see or hear you? We used to leave home starting from short periods of time and slowly increasing -we also at the begging left a filled kong to keep my girls out of trouble and associate "alone time" with a good thing crying/barking will soon stop

OP
M

MrMister

Jul 26, 2014
Country
Brazil
Bulldog(s) Names
Heidi

Shes still a pup - lilly used to do it as a signal that she wants something -usually for a young bulldog its hard to get on the sofa on their own -besides its also an accident waiting to happen if she might slip and fall while trying to jump up -shes just signalling you that she wants to go on the sofa

With regards to bully being on the sofa or not-this is entirely your decision -but whatever you decide -stick to it , your baby will soon learn that "no" means" no "
We never made any ramps we just picked our girls on the sofa when we were home x

Growling -in pups its usually frustration / or in play natural reaction ;-)

Separation anxiety -how do you do it ? Do you just go out or lock her and she can still see or hear you? We used to leave home starting from short periods of time and slowly increasing -we also at the begging left a filled kong to keep my girls out of trouble and associate "alone time" with a good thing crying/barking will soon stop

Hi! Thanks for the reply, Pati Robins!
About separation anxiety, I may be wrong, since I'm still avoidind leaving her completely alone. But I do leave her for short periods and no barking so far. 30 minutes was the maximum until now, but i guess she was sleeping. Well, I'm ok with her on the sofa and I hope that a ramp will avoid her from jumping off it. It seems she still did not get that she may get hurt from that. I guess the anti-bark-for-sofa education is working somehow, cos nos she approaches me but doesn't bark. But when there's nobody in the sofa she still wants to hop in and barks.

She's waking up at midnight and being VERY active until 1:30/2:00... I guess I should keep her awake from between 9pm and 11pm, breaking the "never wake your puppy up" rule I've seen on the books. How do you guys manage to control a little cute beast like that when they start barking and being aggressive during the night? I suppose she's a bit bored, but I can't go outside with her for a while since I'm treating her otitis and she has still to complete her vaccines.

Well, being a first-time single bulldog daddy is a hard task, I hope I can make her comfy as soon as possible.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Pati gave you great info... The first few weeks are tough to keep them busy and get the tired since you can not do walks. I would agree that she ends to be limited to her sofa time as to avoid get hurt... Bones are still very soft and can break easily.

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
you can still take her out and socialize with people and she is allowed to be with other dogs as long as they had their shots. Sounds like you have had it pretty easy some of us are still dealing with shark modes

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob

I'm a first-time bulldog owner. Heidi is 9/10 weeks old, and she's living with me for a week. Since she was born I went to visit her regularly, trying to build a connection to make changes less painful to her in the future. The first day surprised me: she did not cry during the night, she was calm the whole day. The next 2 days as well, but as soon as she realized that this is her home, she naturally started to explore everything and became confident. Some niping, but with just a few times talking to her and showing that biting me was not ok, she bites me now in a soft way. No problem eating, and even potty training was so easy: most of the times she uses either the pad in another room or go to the door waiting to go downstairs (I live at the 9th floor).

So, everything sounds perfect so far, but I maybe made a mistake. I allowed her to stay in the couch with me since day 1. Now, when she wants to come up, she barks. I'm trying to show her that she can stay at the couch with me but she cannot demand it by barking. Not sure I know how to do that, or even if it is a good idea allowing her to come with me. I know it's silly, but I'd really love to have her in the couch with me. Do you guys think it's a good idea to improvise some sort of ramp then she can come by herself?

So far, no separation anxiety signals, but she barks like crazy when she's alone because she cannot go to the couch by herself.

And how to stop her from barking or growling at me? Ignoring did not work as I've heard about it and I'm confused about how to discipline her without making her afraid of me or irreversibly upset. Is that claw thing with the hand a valid tool when saying "No" and staring her with "no-you-cant" eyes? I've even heard that growling to the dog may work, I did it twice and it worked but I'm afraid this may only make Heidi see me as an annoyance, and I'm looking to build a strong bond with her.

Well, sorry for the long text! I really appreciate any help, a bit lost on how to behave.

ps: I read "Bulldogs for dummies" and "How to Raise a Perfect Dog" so far looking for tips but the "mental power" on the second book is too mystic for me, it seems my dog does not understand silent commands with my inner energie. lol

About the couch...It might sound funny but WE (my husband and I) sat on the floor for several months because we didnt want Goob on the couch. We would sit to watch a movie or something and Goob just couldn't handle laying on the floor. He would cry, paw, bark, shark attack, and everything in between. So...we just sat on the floor with him until he get up and down on his own. I'm not saying that this is the way to do it...he obviously worked us...but its the truth:/.

OP
M

MrMister

Jul 26, 2014
Country
Brazil
Bulldog(s) Names
Heidi
Thanks for the advices and for sharing your experiences.

Unfortunately the situation is getting worse. Last Saturday I saw her chasing something, running and jumping like crazy. It was a very small insect. After she got it, I was worried it could be bad for her to eat that and tried to opened her mouth and take it away. She let me do that, but she was still very agitated and then I put her in the couch trying to calm her down. When I came close she bit my nose. It was the inner part of my nose... It was bleeding for some minutes. I went away to wash it and take care of my nose without hitting her or yelling, tried to be as calm as possible. She was coming after me and sitting next to me with her shoulders up, head down, not making eye contact and crying a bit. I ignored her for some minutes, but she kept following me. Following, but not touching me. After around 5 minutes she came and licked my nose and ears, still avoiding eye contact.

Today I just fed her from my hands, she had no problems with that. During the day, she came to sleep next to me 3 times while I was watching tv or checking things on internet (her crate, btw), so I assume she is ok with me. She still avoids eye contact most of the time. She is trying to bite anyone in the family. When someone says NO she growls and barks and then attempts to bite hard. Timeouts don't make her calm so far, she actually gets even more aggressive.

She avoids to be touched and shows stress signals through body language. The only way she behaves better is after some time playing in the garden downstairs, but still... She likes to play "chasing" or anything involving biting.

Today she was doing fine the whole day, but at the end of the day, after some people from family visited and left, she started barking at her water bowl... It's sturdy metal, and it is all full of bite signs. Last two days she's also stomping her paws in the water bowl.

I know she's too young, but I need advices on how to proceed with her. Can't have her acting like that! With her collar on, I pushed it lightly when she came to bit me. After a few times, she got tired and went to sleep. Probably she hates her collar now, but I'm afraid she will soon hate me.

ANY HELP IS HIGHLY APPRECIATED. :(

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks for the advices and for sharing your experiences.

Unfortunately the situation is getting worse. Last Saturday I saw her chasing something, running and jumping like crazy. It was a very small insect. After she got it, I was worried it could be bad for her to eat that and tried to opened her mouth and take it away. She let me do that, but she was still very agitated and then I put her in the couch trying to calm her down. When I came close she bit my nose. It was the inner part of my nose... It was bleeding for some minutes. I went away to wash it and take care of my nose without hitting her or yelling, tried to be as calm as possible. She was coming after me and sitting next to me with her shoulders up, head down, not making eye contact and crying a bit. I ignored her for some minutes, but she kept following me. Following, but not touching me. After around 5 minutes she came and licked my nose and ears, still avoiding eye contact.

Today I just fed her from my hands, she had no problems with that. During the day, she came to sleep next to me 3 times while I was watching tv or checking things on internet (her crate, btw), so I assume she is ok with me. She still avoids eye contact most of the time. She is trying to bite anyone in the family. When someone says NO she growls and barks and then attempts to bite hard. Timeouts don't make her calm so far, she actually gets even more aggressive.

She avoids to be touched and shows stress signals through body language. The only way she behaves better is after some time playing in the garden downstairs, but still... She likes to play "chasing" or anything involving biting.

Today she was doing fine the whole day, but at the end of the day, after some people from family visited and left, she started barking at her water bowl... It's sturdy metal, and it is all full of bite signs. Last two days she's also stomping her paws in the water bowl.

I know she's too young, but I need advices on how to proceed with her. Can't have her acting like that! With her collar on, I pushed it lightly when she came to bit me. After a few times, she got tired and went to sleep. Probably she hates her collar now, but I'm afraid she will soon hate me.

ANY HELP IS HIGHLY APPRECIATED. :(

Use this training technique... everyone in the house .... and she will learn you are alpha
http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...85-Nothing-in-Life-is-Free-training-technique

OP
M

MrMister

Jul 26, 2014
Country
Brazil
Bulldog(s) Names
Heidi
Thanks for the link. I'm translating it to Portuguese so everyone in family that happens to visit us will be aware on how to proceed.
As I posted yesterday Heidi woke up and came to my room... All sleepy, licking me, and as soon as I sat down again she went back to sleep.

Most Reactions