He has turned very possessive

luvmybully

May 19, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
Tucker went crazy when my brother in law tried to pet him, he jumped up and bit him. We put him in his crate right away, today a neighbor was walking her dog and he bit the lady's leg. These have all been minor injuries but nonetheless he's getting worse, I have a call into a couple of trainers, but in the meantime any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Keep him on a tight leash if you take him out for a walk. Make him earn everything, food, affection, anything he needs or wants, make him earn it, by sitting, giving paw, or what ever. Start with the basics, if he doesn't know these commands, then teach them to him. He needs to know who is the alpha. Also if can be medical as well, get him checked out by w vet to make sure he is not in pain some where, or his thyroid levels are OK.

OP
luvmybully

luvmybully

May 19, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] I used to do all that, he is really good with men, but with me he doesn't listen. What's your opinion of him being on the bed? I will start at the beginning again, did the "nothing is free" method. He is 15 mo and when someone comes to our house it's crazy! Thank you, that's a start!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=8892]luvmybully[/MENTION] Do not let him on the bed, that puts him on the same level as you. You need to eat first, and for now, I suggest you feed him by hand, so he knows he has to get his food from you and no one else.

OP
luvmybully

luvmybully

May 19, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] Will do thanks!! I must admit I do most of this all ready, but there are definitely some holes. I will buckle up and not give in. How will this help his aggression/ possessiveness?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Once he realizes you are in charge, when he get aggressive, snatch the leash quickly to the side and tell him NO!! Then make him sit down, have the person come over closely and if he tries to bite quickly snap the leash and tell him NO!! It takes some time and you need someone to help you with this and someone you know to come up to him. A trainer may have different ways to do this and that's OK, this is not the only way to do it. I myself will quickly and firmly grab the side of their neck by their face and look them straight in the eyes and tell them NO!! I do not suggest this to anyone, because it can go bad if not done correctly, but it works for me. I have done this with toy aggression also, after a few times, they get the message. I would let a vet check him as soon as you can to rule out a medical problem. Improper Thyroid levels can cause this too.

OP
luvmybully

luvmybully

May 19, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] Thanks again!

eljeffe23

Apr 1, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bronson
I don't normally recommend him, but the Dog Whisperer has some excellent segments on this type of behavior, look them up on your tube, it should help a lot.

OP
luvmybully

luvmybully

May 19, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
[MENTION=11530]eljeffe23[/MENTION] Thanks I am trying everything and anything!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Tucker went crazy when my brother in law tried to pet him, he jumped up and bit him. We put him in his crate right away, today a neighbor was walking her dog and he bit the lady's leg. These have all been minor injuries but nonetheless he's getting worse, I have a call into a couple of trainers, but in the meantime any suggestions?

David has you covered.... here is a great training techneque to help with what David has suggested .... http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...85-Nothing-in-Life-is-Free-training-technique

OP
luvmybully

luvmybully

May 19, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] I have two trainers I am going to work with, one is military and promotes the pinch collar, the other tries to figure out why he does what he does, and is a behaviorist, I know why, Tucker is very protecting of me! Which would you go with? I am really following NILIF as well, but I can't afford another bite. Thanks for your input!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=8892]luvmybully[/MENTION] I would not go with the pinch collar, as that is a good way to loose a bully. I would try the behaviorist. The NILIF does work, just takes time and patience. Start with the food, and feed him by hand, one bite at a time. When he figures out he need you for his food, things should change. Make him sit down for every bite. If he doesn't sit, then no food, take it away for a while and try later. He will get the picture.

OP
luvmybully

luvmybully

May 19, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] Got it!! I am doing everything that the NILIF says, and thanks so much !!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online