pattonsmom

Apr 9, 2014
CT
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
General Patton
Hi All,

Patton is turning 6 months this Sunday!! All is well except one thing. For the past 2 weeks Patton pees when my boyfriend gets home from work! I am usually home first so when my boyfriend gets home he goes running for the door wiggling his entire butt and the minute he walks in the door he pees. He does this even if heā€™s just peed outside with me. If my boyfriend is home first from work I make sure he goes pee outside before I enter the house (Patton drives to and from work with me every day) but pee or no pee outside as soon as we get inside he excitedly pees on our floor. Itā€™s not a lot but it is definitely enough and going to ruin our floors not to mention heā€™s wiggling his butt so it goes everywhere. I thought this issue was just with my boyfriend but itā€™s not. He did it to me yesterday after only being gone for less than 45 minutes last night to the grocery store! Just jumped up on me to say hello and give kisses and as soon as his paws hit the floor again he was peeing. Our solution for the moment is whoever has the dog has to call the other person upon arrival so they can greet Patton outside so he doesnā€™t pee on our hardwood anymore. Other than this new issue, heā€™s mastered (KNOCK ON WOOD) the potty training thing and doesnā€™t have any accidents in the house ever. Weā€™ve had Patton since he was 7 weeks old and he has always been super happy when we come home but this issue is new and is becoming more and more of a problem. Has anyone else dealt with this before? What are your suggestions? Please help! Thanks! :pray:

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Could have a uti

Bulldogs rule...cats drool..."the Shelly Bean"

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
SysmƤ
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
He is probably very submissive and happy pee is quite common with submissive dogs. The cure could be that you or anybody arriving doesn't notice him before he's calmed down.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Good suggestions above with the possible UTI or ignoring him. Plus you're current way if doing it is genius, while a bit inconvenient, until the problem is resolved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
That is the best thing, just ignore him until he calms down, then the shouldn't pee.

OP
pattonsmom

pattonsmom

Apr 9, 2014
CT
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
General Patton
Thank you! That's what we were thinking too. It's just crazy one day you think you're doing great at the parenting thing and then bam! New challenge. :)

BoldDeGuard

Aug 4, 2014
Montana
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir BoldDeGuard
Fortunately submissive/excited peeing isn't a behavioral problem. It's probably just in the dogs personality. I have a 1 1/2 year old girl who has never grown out of it. We never acknowledge the peeing, we just quietly clean it up. But we always bring her outside before greeting us or anyone. This is also the rule when going to others house. Everyone has to come outside to meet her then she is good to go. She also pees more for people she loves. Its really not a bad thing. However punishing a dog for this can make them sensitive and insecure causing behavioral potty issues. Sorry you got a peeing pup :) but you will get used to it. I know it's gross but their your babies.

Julzz9170

Apr 15, 2014
New jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fatso, Romeo
My 3 year old boy does this when certain people come to our house..I try to greet people outside as well so he can calm down a little before they come inside

OP
pattonsmom

pattonsmom

Apr 9, 2014
CT
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
General Patton
No we never punish him for it. We do the same, greet outside is mandatory for us and all our guests and if he does go inside we just clean it up. Over and over. I'd rather have this than a dog who is aggressive! He just loves everybody!! :)

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Its something (especially the over excited peeing) that some will just grow out of.and i got to repeat this SOME :/)my foster dog used to do this along worth "crying out of happiness" as soon as one of us walked in However what can help, is ignoring them completely at first instead of going directly to them and instigating contact, waiting for them to calm down and then greeting them calmly later that often works, especially if they do it at times like owners coming home. The more hyped and excited they are or become the more they tend to o it otherwise.

lynnisthamenace

Jun 12, 2014
louisiana
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
annie
Annie does the excited pee thing also... Especially if she meets someone new... I either have her meet people outside or if they come over a lot I tell them to ignore her until she calms down so that there is no pee on the floor...

Sarah Elizabeth

Oct 20, 2013
Kentucky
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hulk
Hulk does it here and there. He use to do it all the time when my boyfriend got home from work so we also just made sure to take him out immediately before he got home and that seemed to help. Hulk just turned a year old and in the past few months he has gotten much better at holding his pee in excitement. Only problem were having right now is that he's on a steroid for his hotspot and it's making him pee more often. He had his first accident in months the other day. Hopefully Patton will grow out of it for you!

OP
pattonsmom

pattonsmom

Apr 9, 2014
CT
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
General Patton
Hulk does it here and there. He use to do it all the time when my boyfriend got home from work so we also just made sure to take him out immediately before he got home and that seemed to help. Hulk just turned a year old and in the past few months he has gotten much better at holding his pee in excitement. Only problem were having right now is that he's on a steroid for his hotspot and it's making him pee more often. He had his first accident in months the other day. Hopefully Patton will grow out of it for you!

Thanks!! I hope your little guy gets better.

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
Nigel does this and I had hoped he would grow out of it but he hasn't and will be 3 in December. I've considered a belly wrap for him cause I hate not being able to pet him and he loves for people to pet him but he gets too excited and pees. He just went to the vet a few weeks ago for his annual visit and he was fine. I wish he would grow out of it :(

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
Always ignore when leaving and ignore on arriving ,it's the only way to stop excitement peeing

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.