Peeing

chaz83

Jul 17, 2014
We recently got a three month old English bulldog puppy. Things haven't exactly gone to plan with toilet training so far. His bed is the perfect size for him (not too big) yet he pee's in it & continues to sleep there! He's not grasping the puppy pads either but when he does he sleeps on the wet pad too!! Coupled with accidents around the apartment, it's becoming very frustrating! I'm taking him outside 3-4 times a day & he's got 'his spot' on the street but I'm on the 3rd floor & work nights so ideally I'd like Charlie to get used to the pads too! Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks 😉✌️🐶

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
Good luck. Pray for patience. Henry is 9 months and training was/is hard. He has always struggled with timing. He hasn't peed or pooped in the house for weeks, UNTIL today. He pooped twice. He sometimes has accidents. I had to take him out at least every 1 1/2 hours for months. He's a lot better at his hints but sometimes I'm not so observant.

Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
I know it must be hard potty training when you are on the 3rd floor. That really stinks. I remember grabbing my pup and running to the door which startled her just enough to stop going until she got out to the yard. Kind of difficult to do when you have several flights of stairs before coming to the closest patch of grass.

You really should take the pup out a lot more as 3-4 times daily isn't nearly enough...especially for a puppy. Mine typically go out 2x in the am before and after they eat, again as soon as I come home from work (about 9hrs). Again at dinner time and at least twice more before bed time.

Mine both peed on blankets inside of their crates when we left them so we had to stop leaving blankets in the crate. I think it was a way of marking their territory.

RalphieBoy

Community Veteran
Jul 1, 2014
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Emmitt
Our pups turn 4 months Saturday. They are totally house broken. We let ours out about 10-12 times per 24 hours plus we walk them every night. I'm sorry I cannot help with 3 floors. Have you tried the EBN search field. I'm sure several people have had the same problem. Give that a try.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Many here have had success with the pads, but I can think of the members off the top of my head.

Something to keep in mind... they can only hold the bladder for 1 hr. more than they are months old. So your little guy is 4 hr limit.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Training on the third floor is a tough one for sure! As difficult as it sounds though, I would nix the pee pads and take him out every 3 hours. Pee pads are great and all but confusing when potty training. You are saying it's ok to pee inside but must do it "here" which is very confusing to understand. Heavy praise and treats each time he goes outside. If he does have an accident inside, don't scold him unless you catch him in the act. If you do catch him take him outside immediately. However, you can scold the mess while he watches you clean it up. I pretend it's the most awful thing I've ever seen, I'll even pretend to cry and whimper while I clean it. Show it to him in the paper towel and whimper/whine when you show it.this way he knows you don't like the poo/pee in the house but he doesn't get confused about what he possibly did wrong.

Also removing any bedding until he starts to improve. If you use a crate, no bedding at all in there.

Last edited:

tyree213

Nov 26, 2012
New Orleans
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert, Scarlet
At that age they will pee on the bed, its just something they do until they get older. I also would ditch the pads. As mentioned treats work great along with a little excitement when he does go potty outside. 3- 4 times probably isnt enough so he will prob have some accidents.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi I agree with others advice regarding the puppy pads, it confuses the puppy as to where he should go potty inside or outside. The best way to potty train your pup is to have a strict potty schedule. A puppy should be able to hold their bladder 1 hour for every month of age. Our guys were completely trained by the time they were 5 months old and they now hold their bladders for 5 or 6 hours and throughout the night.

Hi new Bully parents, my name is Monica, and I have 2 English Bulldog pups, they are both 9 months old, and are brother and sister, their names are Bulldozer and Blossom. I've noticed a lot of new puppy owners have posted questions regarding potty training for their new babies. Since my 2 are now 9 months old, and I have been through this already, I thought I might share what worked for us. The puppy stage is very much like having a baby in the house, the training takes time and patience, and sleepless nights, but it is a temporary phase. The best thing that you can do to make potty training go smooth and without accidents is to first crate train your new baby, this will make your life much easier. Crate training your pup is not a cruel thing to do, they actually learn that the crate is a safe place. You can use it for sleeping, and for a safe place to put puppy in when you can't watch or supervise them, and for when you need to go out. The other important thing to do for successful puppy training is establishing a schedule. This worked the best for us, and our babies were fully trained by 5 months old. The schedule that worked for us:

6 am: Take puppy out for their first pee and poop of the day

7 am: Feed puppy breakfast 1/3 of a cup kibble mixed with water.
Place puppy back in crate for 10 mins to let tummy settle after eating.
Then take puppy out for potty again.

7 am: From 7 am to 2 pm take your puppy out every hour or two throughout the day , and increase the time by an hour each week , so they learn to hold.

2 pm: Feed puppy lunch 1/3 of a cup of kibble mixed with water.
Place puppy in crate for 10 mins to let tummy settle after eating.
Then take puppy out for potty again.

2 pm: From 2 pm to 8 pm, take your puppy out every hour or two during the day.

8 pm: Feed puppy dinner 1/3 of a cup of kibble mixed with water.
Place puppy back in crate of 10 mins to,let tummy settle after eating.
Then take puppy out again.

8 pm: From 8 pm to 11 pm , take your puppy out every hour or two, until around 11 pm or 11:30 pm.
The last pee and poo break will be at around 11 pm before you go to bed.
Take your puppy's water away around 8 or 9 pm, otherwise you will have many accidents throughout the night.

2 am: We would set our cell phone for 2 am to go out for a pee. The time between 11 pm and 6 am when they go out for their first pee is too long for the new puppy to hold, but again this a temporary phase, and the puppy will eventually be able to hold all night. This happened for us when the pups were 5 months old. After they were 5 months old, we were able to eliminate the 2 am outing, and they were able to hold for 4 or 5 hours at a time during the day.

I hope this helps any new puppy owner that has maybe never owned a pup before, and doesn't know how to train a puppy, or anyone who has a new puppy and is struggling to train them. At first it's like you are training when the puppies will go, but eventually they will tell you when they need to go out, they will either go to the door, or bark, or whine, my female Blossom will whine, when she wants out, my male Dozer will bark. Another thing to do is take your puppy out before and after they play, as they will always go pee after they have been excited.

Good luck to everyone, and remember this is a temporary phase , your puppy will be trained before You know it. Enjoy your new baby

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The schedule we use now that they are older is:

6:00 am Go out for Potty, they usually do both

6:30 am Eat Breakfast

10:00 am Go for a walk, and potty breaks

2:00 pm Go out for potty breaks

6:00 pm Eat dinner

6:30 pm Go out for a walk, and potty breaks

10:00 or 11:00 pm out for last walk and potty breaks

OP
chaz83

chaz83

Jul 17, 2014
Thanks to all who responded 👌

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
I also agree, ditch the pads. It's frustrating sometimes, but invest in some good floor cleaner (wood/tile or carpet, depending on your place) and be patient with them. Ruckus was housetrained quick but I was working from home a lot when we got him so I took him out every time he ate, drank, played hard, or woke up and otherwise every 45 minutes. For a few months I also had to wake up once during the night to take him out. When they're that little they just don't have the bladder capacity to hold it, even if they really want to, so its important to give them lots of opportunities to go outside.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.