Leash Behavior

B

Baxter Tiberius

What was your situation with your bully and walking on the leash? Did you ever get him/her trained not to pull?

Baxter is a walking disaster LOL on the leash. I mean its really really bad. The *entire* time he is either dragging behind and im pulling hard forward. Or he is dragging me, and I am trying to pull hard back. i *KNOW* people are looking at me like I am being mean. In order to move forward at all, I practically have to drag him in some fashion to correct his walk. Sometimes he trots right along next to me. But most of the time its SWAYYY LEFT ... SWAYYYY RIGHT. SWAYY behind me ... DRAGGG BACK .... run forward and PULLL FORWARD on the leash ... repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. It gets exhausting as h*ll.

Are bully's leash trainable before the 2 year mark when they chill out a bit?

Sophatp

Feb 2, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leonidas
Leo walks fine with a leash, he likes to move from side to side smelling things but he's not pulling. But when we go to the dog park, that's a different story. He is running full head of steam trying to go forward. But I don't move until he stops pulling and comes back. Needs more practice with this.

Jonel

Jun 27, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sherman
Sherman is horrible on the leash. He has two speeds, stop or GO! He pulls, sits down and won't get up, smells EVERY single thing in the world. He is almost two, and I wonder if it will ever change.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Harela is ok on a leash. She will pull from time to time so I just stop and pull her back to me and say no pull before we start moving again. After a few of those she gets the hint. As for staying behind that I have to drag her.... Sorry I am no help there as she will start moving when I say Harlea come.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Brutus and Frankie are OK on a leash. Nothing great. They will pull for like the first 10 mins of a walk and settle down when the are tired or I'm half dead. Lol

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Well, mine wear harnesses. Since there really is no "dog" place to go around here, just about only time they are on leash, is when they go to the Vet. Last time I took Maude to vet, she embarrassed the heck out of me-she loves every dog and person and thinks they ALL want to pet or kiss her! She dragged me in and (OMG) a bulldog! People pulled their dogs back and gave me looks like I had a killer dog! I was determined not to be looked at like that again. So the last two years they actually had something for dogs (which very few showed up) called Bark in the Park. I left Maude's harness on, but I had a (horribly called) a choke chain, from when I had my Mal's and German Shep. I put it on Maude and she walked like a well trained dog!! Never even had to use correction. It was like magic, and she never had one on before! I tried it with Martha and she walked like a lady. I love my two EBD's but never had so much trouble with any dogs, getting them not to pull! Even huskies,ha!ha!
I know you all probably hate those "collars" but just putting it on them did the trick for mine! It must be put on correctly and not mis used.
[MENTION=9462]Baxter Tiberius[/MENTION]

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I know this has been a problem w/Baxter for awhile. When we took Winston to his first puppy classes they did leash training as part of the class, and he was the BEST bully I have ever had w/leash walking. I plan on taking Wally here in a couple of months. Have you ever thought about getting some leash training for Baxter?

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

Yeah he definitely needs leash training.

I can probably do it too. I introduce inconsistency sometimes though. Sometimes I like to let him run around and explore while we are on walks.

But when we are in crowded areas, cars going by, etc, I want him to be right by my side, behaving.

In my experience Baxter doesn't listen to verbal commands. Ever. He will respond to physical situations (gentle tugging to stop the pulling, or physical /positional corrections while walking).

Ideally I could verbally command him to walk close to me in dangerous / crowded areas. But that doesn't work, so I have to physically tug at him instead.

He's very easily distracted, and forget it if a dog appears nearby. He listens to nothing I say, and even physical corrections are ignored. Its like a laser beam on the other dog and PULLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
Sounds like my Bridgette. She used to be all over the place and would almost trip you multiple times during your walk. She never lagged behind though. I ended up using a retractable leash mainly because she was never at a constant speed-it was fast or slow and my arm was getting tired of being pulled forward. I didn't let her have free reign though. I pushed the button when she started going too fast and released when she was walking at a good speed. After awhile she seemed to figure it out and now does very well. She's no longer all over the place and the fast/slow speeds have diminished greatly. We do walk daily and before we only walked occasionally so I think a lot of it is just constant practice.

Emily

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Debo
It cracks me up the way you explain it, I know exactly what you mean.

You could try "the crazy man's method"
I use a pinch collar with the rubber stoppers on each prong so it does not hurt as bad, or I use an e-collar, if he pulls to the left I say, "let's go" with a quick correction from the collar & I make a quick turn to the right. I go the exact opposite direction he wants to go, over & over. Pretty soon he realizes he needs to pay attention to me & follow me because he thinks I'm crazy. I'm sure I look crazy to my neighbors too.

Emily

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Debo
I also have an easy-walk harness that gives me some control.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Kevin, I have the same problem with my guys, I have one puller, that would be Blossom and one pullee, that would be Dozer. Blossom constantly pulls when she walks, she only has one speed, full speed ahead, and she pulls my arm, it feels like she's going to dislocate my shoulder sometimes, especially when she is walking, and then decides to bolt all of a sudden. Sometimes she spins me around. Dozer is my non walker, he doesn't like to go on long walks, and he is afraid of many things, especially the mouse of traffic going by, he lags behind me, and I have to pull him to make him walk. He will walk to do his duties, and then he pulls to go back home. If we go on a longer walk, he will be okay going there, but coming home, he decides he doesn't want to walk anymore, and I have to keep coaxing him and pull him to keep moving. He just flops, lays down, with all 4 legs laid out, and refuses to move. People laugh at me, as I try to get him up by picking his butt up and getting him to walk. My arm gets sore from constantly trying to get him to walk.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Yeah he definitely needs leash training.

I can probably do it too. I introduce inconsistency sometimes though. Sometimes I like to let him run around and explore while we are on walks.

But when we are in crowded areas, cars going by, etc, I want him to be right by my side, behaving.

In my experience Baxter doesn't listen to verbal commands. Ever. He will respond to physical situations (gentle tugging to stop the pulling, or physical /positional corrections while walking).

Ideally I could verbally command him to walk close to me in dangerous / crowded areas. But that doesn't work, so I have to physically tug at him instead.

He's very easily distracted, and forget it if a dog appears nearby. He listens to nothing I say, and even physical corrections are ignored. Its like a laser beam on the other dog and PULLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Leah started us out on a VERY short leash… and he had to heel. Basically RIGHT beside me, when I stopped he had to stop… and we did this for days. Constantly doing the watch me command. Gradually I loosened the leash and gave him more space, but it was awesome… NO more tugging, pulling and he was constantly looking for me as to what to do next. Of course Winston was VERY treat motivated, I'm not sure if Baxter likes his treats… Lol

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I also have an easy-walk harness that gives me some control.

This is what I used with Banks and it worked like a charm... and, she did not listen at that age either [MENTION=9462]Baxter Tiberius[/MENTION]

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online