Leash Behavior

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Ruckus walks a million times better with his Kong harness than with a collar. He has more pep in his step and I have more control. He still tries to lead sometimes, but I painstakingly made him stop and sit if he tried to pull me and I carried a bag of treats to reward him when he did what I said. He's still a bulldog, they like to rule the road, but our walks are much better once he learned that pulling meant stopping.

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

This is what I used with Banks and it worked like a charm... and, she did not listen at that age either @Baxter Tiberius

Fingers crossed. Apparently all this harness does is try to pull them to the side. When I put it on Baxter he wrenched his entire body around so his front leg got all twisted up in a knot. Why? Because he didn't care that he was being pulled to the side. He kept going the direction he wanted to go anyways. Ended up with one leg below him while the other swung around on top and he leaned hard while balancing on his two back paws in the direction he wanted to go.

Bella and Dozers Dad

Community Veteran
Feb 2, 2014
Clayton, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dozer and Koda
Leah started us out on a VERY short leash… and he had to heel. Basically RIGHT beside me, when I stopped he had to stop… and we did this for days. Constantly doing the watch me command. Gradually I loosened the leash and gave him more space, but it was awesome… NO more tugging, pulling and he was constantly looking for me as to what to do next. Of course Winston was VERY treat motivated, I'm not sure if Baxter likes his treats… Lol

I walk my pups seven days a week and have found after a week or so walking on a four foot lead they get used to staying at my side. I then go to a two foot lead and they can't cross in front or back of me. For me a short lead means more control for walking.It definitely takes time and I'm never in a rush.

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
Yeah he definitely needs leash training.

I can probably do it too. I introduce inconsistency sometimes though. Sometimes I like to let him run around and explore while we are on walks.

But when we are in crowded areas, cars going by, etc, I want him to be right by my side, behaving.

In my experience Baxter doesn't listen to verbal commands. Ever. He will respond to physical situations (gentle tugging to stop the pulling, or physical /positional corrections while walking).

Ideally I could verbally command him to walk close to me in dangerous / crowded areas. But that doesn't work, so I have to physically tug at him instead.

He's very easily distracted, and forget it if a dog appears nearby. He listens to nothing I say, and even physical corrections are ignored. Its like a laser beam on the other dog and PULLLLLLLLLLLLLL

When we were training Goob to walk on his leash we kept a LARGE supply of treats in our pockets and hands. I would hold some in my hands so he would walk with his face sniffing my hands. I would use that time to train him with his other commands as well. Sit. Lay Down. Speak. Shake. High Five. That way his attention was always on me (the treats at least). If he began to walk at my side, I would just say good walk, good walk and give him treats. For Goob, he needed distractions and TREATS!!!!! :)

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
@Baxter Tiberius

My dogs wear harnesses. When we go anywhere off our property(fenced in so they are loose) I discovered that if I use a choke chain collar-they do not pull. I didn't have to use it to correct but a time or two-they just seemed to walk much better with it on. Also, I like leashes like the one pictured leash.jpgas it has a "traffic" handle built in.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
I am training Winnie (almost 5 months old) to walk on a leash by simply stopping when she pulls. Then I loosen the leash and she usually walks beside me nicely until the next time she pulls. It takes patience and time, but it's working. I was determined to leash train her early! One of our prior Bulldogs, Rosie, was always terrible on the leash. We also had two boxers at the time and if we tried to walk her with another dog she would grab the other dogs leash and try to walk the dog herself! She was incorrigible. Finally, my husband just started walking her with no leash--she did fine like that, stayed right beside him!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Blue's not a wonderful walker either. He pulls like crazy.
What "kind of" helps us is, the no pull harness, and a short lead so he's forced to stay close to me. Also, the biggest issue we had and still have but it's not as bad, is the distractions. He focuses on everything but us. So now I carry a toy (treats don't work for him), or I'll pick up something like a leaf off the ground and he's all into it. If you can get him to focus on you, you've won half the battle.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.