Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Leash Behavior

Hi Kevin, I have the same problem with my guys, I have one puller, that would be Blossom and one pullee, that would be Dozer. Blossom constantly pulls when she walks, she only has one speed, full speed ahead, and she pulls my arm, it feels like she's going to dislocate my shoulder sometimes, especially when she is walking, and then decides to bolt all of a sudden. Sometimes she spins me around. Dozer is my non walker, he doesn't like to go on long walks, and he is afraid of many things, especially the mouse of traffic going by, he lags behind me, and I have to pull him to make him walk. He will walk to do his duties, and then he pulls to go back home. If we go on a longer walk, he will be okay going there, but coming home, he decides he doesn't want to walk anymore, and I have to keep coaxing him and pull him to keep moving. He just flops, lays down, with all 4 legs laid out, and refuses to move. People laugh at me, as I try to get him up by picking his butt up and getting him to walk. My arm gets sore from constantly trying to get him to walk.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter Tiberius View Post
    Yeah he definitely needs leash training.

I can probably do it too. I introduce inconsistency sometimes though. Sometimes I like to let him run around and explore while we are on walks.

But when we are in crowded areas, cars going by, etc, I want him to be right by my side, behaving.

In my experience Baxter doesn't listen to verbal commands. Ever. He will respond to physical situations (gentle tugging to stop the pulling, or physical /positional corrections while walking).

Ideally I could verbally command him to walk close to me in dangerous / crowded areas. But that doesn't work, so I have to physically tug at him instead.

He's very easily distracted, and forget it if a dog appears nearby. He listens to nothing I say, and even physical corrections are ignored. Its like a laser beam on the other dog and PULLLLLLLLLLLLLL
    Leah started us out on a VERY short leash… and he had to heel. Basically RIGHT beside me, when I stopped he had to stop… and we did this for days. Constantly doing the watch me command. Gradually I loosened the leash and gave him more space, but it was awesome… NO more tugging, pulling and he was constantly looking for me as to what to do next. Of course Winston was VERY treat motivated, I'm not sure if Baxter likes his treats… Lol

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Emily View Post
    I also have an easy-walk harness that gives me some control.

This is what I used with Banks and it worked like a charm... and, she did not listen at that age either @Baxter Tiberius
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Bulldog Vet in Training g8erjackie's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jackie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruckus and Regina
    Likes (Received)

Ruckus walks a million times better with his Kong harness than with a collar. He has more pep in his step and I have more control. He still tries to lead sometimes, but I painstakingly made him stop and sit if he tried to pull me and I carried a bag of treats to reward him when he did what I said. He's still a bulldog, they like to rule the road, but our walks are much better once he learned that pulling meant stopping.

Baxter Tiberius

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    This is what I used with Banks and it worked like a charm... and, she did not listen at that age either @Baxter Tiberius
    Fingers crossed. Apparently all this harness does is try to pull them to the side. When I put it on Baxter he wrenched his entire body around so his front leg got all twisted up in a knot. Why? Because he didn't care that he was being pulled to the side. He kept going the direction he wanted to go anyways. Ended up with one leg below him while the other swung around on top and he leaned hard while balancing on his two back paws in the direction he wanted to go.

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Doug
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella, Dozer and Koda
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ddnene View Post
    Leah started us out on a VERY short leash… and he had to heel. Basically RIGHT beside me, when I stopped he had to stop… and we did this for days. Constantly doing the watch me command. Gradually I loosened the leash and gave him more space, but it was awesome… NO more tugging, pulling and he was constantly looking for me as to what to do next. Of course Winston was VERY treat motivated, I'm not sure if Baxter likes his treats… Lol
    I walk my pups seven days a week and have found after a week or so walking on a four foot lead they get used to staying at my side. I then go to a two foot lead and they can't cross in front or back of me. For me a short lead means more control for walking.It definitely takes time and I'm never in a rush.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Goob
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter Tiberius View Post
    Yeah he definitely needs leash training.

I can probably do it too. I introduce inconsistency sometimes though. Sometimes I like to let him run around and explore while we are on walks.

But when we are in crowded areas, cars going by, etc, I want him to be right by my side, behaving.

In my experience Baxter doesn't listen to verbal commands. Ever. He will respond to physical situations (gentle tugging to stop the pulling, or physical /positional corrections while walking).

Ideally I could verbally command him to walk close to me in dangerous / crowded areas. But that doesn't work, so I have to physically tug at him instead.

He's very easily distracted, and forget it if a dog appears nearby. He listens to nothing I say, and even physical corrections are ignored. Its like a laser beam on the other dog and PULLLLLLLLLLLLLL
    When we were training Goob to walk on his leash we kept a LARGE supply of treats in our pockets and hands. I would hold some in my hands so he would walk with his face sniffing my hands. I would use that time to train him with his other commands as well. Sit. Lay Down. Speak. Shake. High Five. That way his attention was always on me (the treats at least). If he began to walk at my side, I would just say good walk, good walk and give him treats. For Goob, he needed distractions and TREATS!!!!!

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

@Baxter Tiberius

My dogs wear harnesses. When we go anywhere off our property(fenced in so they are loose) I discovered that if I use a choke chain collar-they do not pull. I didn't have to use it to correct but a time or two-they just seemed to walk much better with it on. Also, I like leashes like the one pictured Name:  leash.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  4.1 KBas it has a "traffic" handle built in.
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member Donnam's Avatar
    Real Name
    Donna
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winnie
    Likes (Received)

I am training Winnie (almost 5 months old) to walk on a leash by simply stopping when she pulls. Then I loosen the leash and she usually walks beside me nicely until the next time she pulls. It takes patience and time, but it's working. I was determined to leash train her early! One of our prior Bulldogs, Rosie, was always terrible on the leash. We also had two boxers at the time and if we tried to walk her with another dog she would grab the other dogs leash and try to walk the dog herself! She was incorrigible. Finally, my husband just started walking her with no leash--she did fine like that, stayed right beside him!

The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Blue's not a wonderful walker either. He pulls like crazy.
    What "kind of" helps us is, the no pull harness, and a short lead so he's forced to stay close to me. Also, the biggest issue we had and still have but it's not as bad, is the distractions. He focuses on everything but us. So now I carry a toy (treats don't work for him), or I'll pick up something like a leaf off the ground and he's all into it. If you can get him to focus on you, you've won half the battle.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads