Behavior question

Owens

Jun 16, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
Recently my 14 months old bulldog got a UTI infection,he had blood in his urine would urinate in the house and when he would go outside it would take him a while to actually go if at all.so took him to the vet they gave us antibiotics the blood cleared up,but he is still going in the house (small spots) and still have trouble going when he is outside.took him back to the vet to have him checked on and they are claiming that because he isn't neutered is the reason he goes inside and everything,and that if I don't have him neutered this will continue and he will eventually become aggressive.im not a vet or anything but I feel like this can't be 100% right.

If anyone has any input it would be very appreciated

thanks

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Hmm… of course they blame it on the neutering. I would think he can probably still smell the urine, and that's why he's marking again… I would revert back to potty training, and taking him out at least every couple of hours. Or you can leash him to you while he's loose in the house, hopefully it won't take too long for him to remember… Lol I use Natures Miracle Urine Destroyer from Petsmart over the pee stains. You might want to get a black light so you can see the urine marks, and be sure to pour enough of the stuff to soak thru to the padding. Dogs can still smell it unfortunately...

OP
Owens

Owens

Jun 16, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
I would like to say I didn't tKe him to the vet this time because of work,but when I got home me girlfriend also informed me that they said that also due to one of his testicles being larger than the other it could cause problems such as prostate cancer/more aggressive.i know in humans one being larger or smaller is normal but I'm not sure in dogs,once again I feel like this can't be true.

Do anyone recommend getting more of the medicine they have for his uti and seeing if that helps?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I would like to say I didn't tKe him to the vet this time because of work,but when I got home me girlfriend also informed me that they said that also due to one of his testicles being larger than the other it could cause problems such as prostate cancer/more aggressive.i know in humans one being larger or smaller is normal but I'm not sure in dogs,once again I feel like this can't be true.

Do anyone recommend getting more of the medicine they have for his uti and seeing if that helps?

I have no idea on that one, but I will tag some members to see if this is an issue…

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would find a good bully vet and let them check him out, sounds like he still has the infection. The part about him being neutered isn't the problem. Some males will mark, but I had a male that was not neutered and he never marked the house.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Ruckus is almost and year and five months, and not neutered. He doesn't mark in the house -- but he has never met a tree or bush that he didn't want to spray on. I agree that he's smelling the urine still in the carpet. Get a good carpet cleaner spray designed specifically for pet odors and that should help. I guess it can depend on the dog, but I don't personally think not neutering your dog makes him more aggressive. I might get Ruckus neutered around 2 years -- I'm still reading up on cancer risks, pros, and cons. My dad had a bulldog when I was growing up (RIP Bentley, you were an awesome dog) and he was never neutered. He was the gentlest dog and always played nice with my little brother and I.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

In realtion to the UTI and the antibiotic.... to fully get rid of the infection he should be on the meds for at least two weeks. And, if it is still there then a different antibiotic might be needed. Ad for the rest, yes, it can be an issue with some dogs, but not all

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
I agree with the above.Sounds like he still has the infection. My girl Wheezie had a UTI a few weeks ago and the first go around of meds didn't kick it so she was on for another few weeks and now she's doing great :) I would check back with another vet.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
Ive never had a male but being that he had a UTI it makes sense that they probably didn't treat long enough or with the right antibiotic. Another thing to think about is whether your dog has been drinking more water than usual. An antibiotic caused my dog to drink excessively and she started having accidents in the house (these were not normal side effects for the medication). After 5 days of being off the antibiotic everything went back to normal.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.