Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Bully is Getting Out of Control...

Bulldog Vet in Training g8erjackie's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jackie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruckus and Regina
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: My Bully is Getting Out of Control...

Finding the right type of food really depends on the dog, but in general a lot of bulldogs don't do well with chicken as their main source of protein and they do best on a grain free food. This article is helpful with recommending some of the top brands for bullies: http://www.englishbulldognews.com/co...g-Food-Choices. I feed Ruckus Fromm Beef Frittata or Surf and Turf (grain free) -- there are other good brands, I just don't have a lot of experience with them. If you do switch him, make sure to do it over the course of a week or two, mixing the foods together and at first having a larger proportion of his old food and slowly transition him to the new food. I think you'll see in a difference in his coat if the shedding really is excessive. Also, get a good brush -- I use the Kong ZoomGroom -- and you should see a lot less uncontrolled shedding.

Real Name
    Kelly
    Country
    us
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
    Likes (Received)

My first thought is that maybe he fights you putting on his leash because he equates that to being tied up in his area. I agree that the crate is probably the best bet for night time accidents but you really need to find a way to let him be gated off or use one of those doggy play pens to contain him rather than tying him up indoors. Dogs have choked themselves so tying a dog up just plain scares me. Bulldogs in my experience thrive on attention so he could simply be acting out. As others have stated your wife really needs to be involved in the training especially with you being in the military. He needs to know that she's the boss too. I know you have your hands full with a 5 month old but trust me...diligent training now will be rewarded later on. I know it's a lot of work but the dog needs to experience free roam under close supervision in order to learn how you want him to behave. When you are busy eating dinner, bathing the baby etc... and can't keep a watchful eye put him in his crate or playpen but it's really important to allow him free roam as much as possible so that you can teach him what is acceptable and what is not. Good luck with your training.
    Happiness is looking at your dogs face...and forgetting all your problems

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person? Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Pati
    Country
    UK-Cardiff
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Manydogs View Post
    Just read this post-though it is not new. I don't understand how any dog can learn when he is always tied up. I totally do not agree with that. Why have a dog-if that is his life? No much different than people who have a poor dog and keep them chained up outside for their whole life.
    Agree, and tbh i read this post and at first i thought that this was sone kind of joke
    bullies are people dogs and denying him the time that he could spend with the family or a freedom to run around is a no no!- maybe hes destructive because he doesn't have enough interaction with the family
    Another thing -shedding all dogs shed , but with daily brushing , good food you could reduce it a bit but it wont stop-of your wife doesn't like shedding both of you should not own a bulldog

I would suggest to change the trainer! Because the advice and a timescale including classes he had is not working
    "I use search option before posting new thread "
    Rest In Peace Winston xxx

Shy & Lilly

Natural Balance works well for Lola.

Also grain free diet.

Short training sessions throughout the day will really help build the relationships.
    Princess Lola and the Pea , ACGC, CGC, Registered Therapy Dog through Therapy Dogs Incorporated.

Bulldog Vet in Training karenben's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hilda
    Likes (Received)

Obedience training,start with basic commands,5 mins a day ,make him work for treats using the mind is a great workout ,especially for an over active bully

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads