Crate for discipline?

amdeemer

May 16, 2014
Pennsylvania, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Archie
I've been reading a lot on the forum about putting a puppy in their crate for a time out if they are biting/playing too rough. I haven't tried that method yet & I guess I was a little reluctant since we were trying to maintain the crate as a positive place for Archie to hang out in when we can't be with him. But, we do have a few times during the day when the biting crazies are pretty tough to handle & I'm thinking maybe we ought to give crate time out a try if need be. Just wanted to check in with all of you to see how you handle the crate time out. How long should he stay in time out?

Mia Amor

Apr 30, 2014
Anaheim/ So Cal
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia aka Mia Amor (My love)
I do it and I don't use it for punishment but more for OK let's calm down. Mia is 4 months now and she is still shark mode. When she gets crazy I tell her OK time to calm down and put her in. That was from the time we first got her. Now she goes in there and falls right to sleep lol go fig. But she does calm down. So it's like her sleep calm down time. Use it so even when he gets tired of play time with you or just alone time he will go to relax in it. Hope this helps. Gorgeous bulldog he look so cute.

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Totally agree with what the above info. :)

You don't want to associate the crate with punishment otherwise if you want to use it when pup is older...it will be an unhappy place. But if you put pup in the crate with calm words...they will come to think of it as their "space". Good luck with it!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Yep, that's what we do, it's not for punishment, but just for a time our, so they cam calm down and take a nap. We put them in and give a treat, and they will settle down. They usually get crazy when they get tired so a little time out and nap usually does the trick.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I use the crate too as a time-out… and of course Wally falls right asleep!!! :lazy2:

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Never for punishment, but have had to use it in the past to let him settle down, Now that Veg's the ripe old age of 5 and half, he loves his crate and goes in on his own.

OP
amdeemer

amdeemer

May 16, 2014
Pennsylvania, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Archie
Thanks everyone! We used Archie's crate for time out today & it worked out well! He got a case of the zoomies & was frantically running around the house & jumping up at the kids & acting pretty mouthy/bitey. I tried calming him down with just my voice & my behavior, but had no luck so I calmly picked him up & said in my best soothing voice, "You just need a little break. We'll come get you in a little bit." Came back to him 20 minutes later & he was asleep & voluntarily spent another 45 minutes in there dozing. After his nap, he was visibly calmer. Whew! I think this will definitely help our family during the puppy stage!

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
so glad it is working we do the same here and get our moment of peace - notice how i said moment ughhh he certainly is finding his voioce

JakeP

May 6, 2014
Burbank CA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
My hubby did this to Jake to make him calm down and I was against it at first because I also didn't want my boy to associate his kennel as punishment. But saw it did made him calm down. I did it once when he was too hyper at one time and couldn't control him; getting frustrated and not knowing how to handle him.

Now I don't do it that way anymore as I am learning his behavior and ways. Whenever he is hyper and mouthy, I redirect his energy to train him. I trained him how to behave when leashed, how to stay, and stay beside me when I say the word "beside". I found that when he is not acting like a baby shark or he's calm, he wasn't open to training. From what my husband has shown me via video conferencing, he adopted that approach and no longer put him inside his kennel but train him instead when he is biting. He is so eager to learn when he is hyper. But then that's my Jake.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.