12 wk old biting

Diego1011

Jun 26, 2014
Country
America
Bulldog(s) Names
Diego
I am having trouble getting my bully to stop biting everyone's feet. We got him chew toys, which he has no interest in, and we have been letting him know it does hurt by saying ouch.
Any suggestions???

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
This is a common issue w/bully pupsā€¦ my baby is almost 5 mos, and I'm dealing w/it again as well. I try to distract him as much as possible w/a toy, nylabone or whatever your baby prefers. If he gets WAY out of control, I put him in a sit/stay to get his attentionā€¦ and if he still continues a time-out in the crate or gated area. That way he will understand he is not allowed to hang-out w/you guys if he can't control himself. Also give him LOTS of praise for making better choicesā€¦ This faze won't last forever so just hang in there!!!

Oh I forgot to mentionā€¦ get a variety of toys. Soft stuffed ones, balls, rubber chews, rope toysā€¦ some dogs can be very picky. Always supervise him w/the toys in case he destroys them and decides to eat them. Wally loves balls, nerf frisbee, and the large jolly ball.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
This is a common issue w/bully pupsā€¦ my baby is almost 5 mos, and I'm dealing w/it again as well. I try to distract him as much as possible w/a toy, nylabone or whatever your baby prefers. If he gets WAY out of control, I put him in a sit/stay to get his attentionā€¦ and if he still continues a time-out in the crate or gated area. That way he will understand he is not allowed to hang-out w/you guys if he can't control himself. Also give him LOTS of praise for making better choicesā€¦ This faze won't last forever so just hang in there!!!

Oh I forgot to mentionā€¦ get a variety of toys. Soft stuffed ones, balls, rubber chews, rope toysā€¦ some dogs can be very picky. Always supervise him w/the toys in case he destroys them and decides to eat them. Wally loves balls, nerf frisbee, and the large jolly ball.

Agreed.... and stay consistent... everyone in the house has to do this so he 'gets' it

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)

Good post x
Welcome to puppyhood

amdeemer

May 16, 2014
Pennsylvania, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Archie
I have nothing to offer except sympathy! Archie is 13 weeks old & he's super sweet, but during his active play times (which is most of the day) he's super mouthy & biting. It's frustrating! We haven't had a puppy for 10 years & I remember our last dog (a Great Dane) biting & playing rough too & I know it doesn't last forever, but it can be irritating nonetheless. Our kiddos are 4 & 7 and they respond by running away & screaming which makes them just look like giant chew toys! :rolleyes:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Pups will be pups and this is common, and he will grow out of it. In the mean time [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] has given you some great advise. Hang in there and be consistent, it will get better.

Kathy Henry

Dec 10, 2013
Aurora, IL
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Pugsley
I have a 4 month old puppy and the time out method is the only thing that works for us. It doesn't take him long because he hates to be away from us.

OP
Diego1011

Diego1011

Jun 26, 2014
Country
America
Bulldog(s) Names
Diego
Thanks guys! I bought him some new toys today. I stuff a treat in one and it's been keeping him very entertained. I will definitely try all suggestions. Glad I'm not alone with this. The kids are starting to call him Diablo because of the nipping.

Peter Lynn Westre

May 9, 2014
I think bullies have really really really high power chewing needs. Kongs work, knuckle bones from the butcher, femurs.....

Lola has chewed on knuckle bones for three consecutive hours.

Chewing on you is a way to drain energy or communicate a need for attention, potty or hunger/thirst.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.