How are your bullies off-leash?

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
Hello all!

I have searched the threads but can't really find anything on this. We live in a rural setting, a few acres with forest and meadow/yard. I envision a utopia where I walk listening to the birds and my beautiful babies follow peacefully beside me.

REALITY:

Me crashing through the forest, face scratched by branches, hair full of spider webs and a cloud of mosquitos and black flies having a feast around my head, tripping and falling and yelling for each of my dogs who have taken off in opposite directions in a frenzy of unbridled jubilation.
Wilbur is easier to get to come back to me but Layla ON PURPOSE runs in the opposite direction. She recently got under the fence (we have a small fenced area for them) and ran directly down the lane to the road. I caught her just before she would have gone out there. :(

Summary: my dogs SUCK at off-leash! We have been working with them, and when I would walk them in the baseball field at our old place they were off leash. I am not saying they would come back all that well, it was more like catching them as they ran by, but at least I could let them really run.

How does everyone else do off-leash? Do your bullies come back? Or are they disobedient jerks the minute the leash comes off? We have thought about invisible fence but I am worried just how stubborn they are, esp. Layla. Plus, I think the place is too big for invisible fencing.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm NOT an expert on this, we have a fenced yard… but I'm going to tag some of our training experts. Hopefully they will get you on the right track… We would LOVE to see more pics of your crew!!!

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Well truth be told, my guys are disobedient jerks most of the time so I would never let them off leash. We have a hard time with come when we are in our fenced in yard. My luck they would be in the next county before they decided to come back. Good luck.

Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
Mine have always been velcro dogs inside or out. They can actually walk off leash and will stay within 10 feet of us. We've never had the issue of them running off and whenever they get too far away a simple call of their name will stop them in their tracks or make them come towards us. Now....if they see people, forget it. Once someone gives them eye contact or says hello they no longer listen to us. They LOVE people and think everyone wants to say hello to them. LOL We never walk them off leash in busy areas though but on a trail or in the neighborhood they're fine. My fear is that even when a dog is well trained off leash if a big truck came by making a loud sound or a car backfires it could scare the dog causing them to run into the street and get run over soooo I'd rather be safe and keep them leashed.

If your bully's are motivated by food maybe try some training/games where you bring some really tasty (special) treats and work on calling them back. Mine are super jealous and always want what the other one has. Knowing my dogs personalities I would start with the dog that is easiest to train and when that one is coming back, bring in the other bully. If one is getting a treat the other one is ALWAYS there to get hers. :no: I know she would follow my other bully so basically I would have one dog helping to train the other. I am not a trainer nor used a professional one but I have found that its important to work with the dogs unique personality and what they do naturally to get the best results. Good luck & hopefully some others will be able to give you training advice

Leon van houkje

Mar 17, 2014
Groningen, North Holland
Country
Holland
Bulldog(s) Names
Leon Van T' Houkje
Leon walks very well off the leash, he stays within a few meters of me I only have to check him or put him back on it if another dog comes close by. He wants to run and play with them.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:rofl: :rofl:.... thanks for the visuale of branch smacking and web induced walking! Cracked me up.

Off leash walking is a highly EARNED piece of freedom. Our first, was a fabulous bully that just stayed right nest to us on or off leash, he earned leash free walking becasue he always listened and stayed with us. Banks, took YEARS to earn this through dilegent training and practice, practice, practice. She can be off leash, but we prefer to keep her on lead as she still has tried to push the envelope with her boundries. Our Frenchie, Cheli, I doubt will EVER earn this freedome, he just will not listen when he is outside regardless of the training, treat or bribe we have tried with him.

So, my point is, it is up to you on how much training and patence you have. Get a long training lead (25 or 30 feet) and teach them recall with a HIGH value treat and once you are comfortable with them responding to you try the walk off leash. Again, this may be easy with one than the other, but you need to decide if the freedom is earned

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=5605]Momma2Bullies[/MENTION] First scenario sounds great-I've had a couple of dogs that were like that. Second scenario:lmaogirl:is the reality! My dogs have a fenced yard. Even then-if they don't feel like coming in-they will barely look my way when I call. I would never consider no leash, outside the yard. Once I had two Dobermans'. One was totally faithful and never left my side, when loose-the other was a "free spirit" to put it nicely. Since the obedient one was heavier and larger, I used a connecter and hooked them together. We would go exploring-and the one connected to the other HAD to go where we went!

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
Leon walks very well off the leash, he stays within a few meters of me I only have to check him or put him back on it if another dog comes close by. He wants to run and play with them.

Exactly like mine. Bifi is very friendly to everyone but unfortunately not everyone is friendly. But he is always on a leash when we're walking the streets because he easily gets spooked or might find a trace of a doggie in heat then he'll forget about me.

@Momma2Bullies First scenario sounds great-I've had a couple of dogs that were like that. Second scenario:lmaogirl:is the reality! My dogs have a fenced yard. Even then-if they don't feel like coming in-they will barely look my way when I call. I would never consider no leash, outside the yard. Once I had two Dobermans'. One was totally faithful and never left my side, when loose-the other was a "free spirit" to put it nicely. Since the obedient one was heavier and larger, I used a connecter and hooked them together. We would go exploring-and the one connected to the other HAD to go where we went!

Wise move!

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pork Chop (2009-2019) Bruschi
Pork Chop runs free and ignores at times. She can be pretty good girl at the dog park (alone ) when I say , " you ready"? She will walk up to and let me put her leash back on.

She has her moments when she doesn't know me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Momma2Bullies

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
Thanks peeps!!! I am glad to know I am maybe not the only having an issue with this. Hilariously, we start an "outdoor obedience" class tonight, I will let you know how it goes! :)

Bazza

Jun 22, 2013
Melbourne Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bazza
LoL love your post.

Not to be trusted !!!! He does fairly well in some situations like when we take him camping, but alittle too unpredictable around everyday streets and roads, we need to work on it, if sees someone, something, or any other animals he is not going to listen.

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
Boo is a "velcro" dog. I do not walk him off leash because I just don't feel it's safe. We have traffic and I like to prevent accidents. However off leash in my fenced in yard he is perfect . He jas even slipped out the gate with the kids and goes no where. He's been off lash at families houses too and wants no paet of being away from me. That said he pretty much nly listens to me ans my 2 year old . The bf and the other kids are absolutely ignored so I don't ever let him off leash unless he jas my individed attention

Most Reactions

Members online