Only 5 weeks old and shows aggression...?

tkwill

Jun 17, 2014
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank
I got our baby, Hank last thursday when he was only 5 weeks old. Over the last few days Hank will growl, turn his head and bite me. Not nip, bite. His bite my face twice when i kick him up. It took me by surprise. He is only 3+ pounds and is so so very cute. But that level of aggression at this age has me worried.

He had to taken away from his mom early because she had medical issues. he was the smallest in his liter.

Hank is not my first boy puppy. We had a 13 year old, 100 pound Weimaraner who wanted to be alpha. So i understand the need for me to exhibit the alpha role, but i had no clue that it was need this early. I'm worried about children coming to the house.

Please advise me on how to stop this behavioral.

Tammy

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Re: Only 5 ½ weeks old and shows aggression...?

Well I don't really know how to advise you on a 5wk old baby. They are usually still under the direction and care of the mom. I do know that this is normal behavior for an 8-10wk and on bully. How to correct it at this age, I have no idea. Sorry.

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula

I got our baby, Hank last thursday when he was only 5 weeks old. Over the last few days Hank will growl, turn his head and bite me. Not nip, bite. His bite my face twice when i kick him up. It took me by surprise. He is only 3+ pounds and is so so very cute. But that level of aggression at this age has me worried.

He had to taken away from his mom early because she had medical issues. he was the smallest in his liter.

Hank is not my first boy puppy. We had a 13 year old, 100 pound Weimaraner who wanted to be alpha. So i understand the need for me to exhibit the alpha role, but i had no clue that it was need this early. I'm worried about children coming to the house.

Please advise me on how to stop this behavioral.

Tammy

hi tammy

are you sure 5 weeks?
In the uk they stay with there mom until 8 weeks,

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

sounds like you've got a nipper there, just do what you said and be the alpha when he bites make a loud yelping sound and hopefully he'll get the message. 5 weeks is super young.

OP
T

tkwill

Jun 17, 2014
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank

Absolutely sure he's five weeks. Well now he's almost 6. I knew we were getting him too early but the lady who has Hank's mom and dad into labor unexpectedly. Hank's mom had to have surgery on her one of her teets and has been segregated for a week or so. He started eating solid food at that time.

OP
T

tkwill

Jun 17, 2014
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank

He is super young and super smart. He sleeps through the night and knows that outside he goes potty and when he's done he walks to the back door and sits to go back in.

What about the - roll him on his back and hold him there until he stops growling? I haven't done that i just read it somewhere.

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)

So young. I'm wondering if he's trying to figure out the way. Most pups that age are still being directed by their liter mates and Mom.

OP
T

tkwill

Jun 17, 2014
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank

That's was i think too. I read that at this age is the time the mom and sibling teach socialization. It's just that I didn't know that puppy's this age got so mad.

traceylynn172

May 23, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver ,Maui, Cupcake ,Winter, EEyore, Piglet, Roo and Hana

I don't know who the breeder was you bought him from but shame on them they should have never let that puppy go to his new home at that young. Most pups at that age are weaned off of mom but they learn ALOT of there socialization and behavior from mom and there siblings. At that age you cant even take him anywhere to socialize him. Has he had any of his shots ?
Puppies at that get very nippy and since they have no siblings they think of you as one and don't realize that this is not something they should be doing. Your best recourse would be to make a sharp yelping sound when he becomes aggressive and redirect with a toy.

OP
T

tkwill

Jun 17, 2014
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank

I agree. He is to young. He was wormed but my vet said that he's to young for shots. He has only been to the vet and my house. I'm not even letting people come to my home for fear that they will give him something.

OP
T

tkwill

Jun 17, 2014
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank

The negative behavior just started. He is mostly so sweet and loving and the love of my life.

B

Baxter Tiberius

Wish there was some way you could bring him to another litter daily to play and be around them.

Or other dogs -but that's too risky because he doesn't have all his shots yet.

Try to brainstorm options in your area. Any privately owned households with dogs that have all their shots and you know are healthy?

Any chance you can bring Hank back to the breeder daily to be around other dogs and play?

The "OUCH!" technique really worked with Baxter. It will take a couple thousand repeats, but eventually they'll realize they can't bite human skin. Are you sure its aggression and not just rough puppy play? Believe me, they bite...

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)

What about the - roll him on his back and hold him there until he stops growling? I haven't done that i just read it somewhere.

I dunno...he's too young to be dominated like that. Flipping a dog on his back or his side is a way of showing him you're the boss. He doesn't need to be dominated he needs to be corrected. And i also find this procedure too rough, some dogs reacts to it with more aggression. Like @Bulldozersma said he is just trying to figure out his place in the pack. Sorry to say, i too am at a loss on how to advice you to correct a pup this young.

I corrected my boy by finding out his least favorite thing in the world...that's lemon juice (that's after he got immuned to the spray bottle). I also just recently found out, by letting him sniff the bottle (because he was curious), that he also doesn't like the smell of Vicks vaporub.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven

I dunno...he's too young to be dominated like that. Flipping a dog on his back or his side is a way of showing him you're the boss. He doesn't need to be dominated he needs to be corrected. And i also find this procedure too rough, some dogs reacts to it with more aggression. Like @Bulldozersma said he is just trying to figure out his place in the pack. Sorry to say, i too am at a loss on how to advice you to correct a pup this young.

I corrected my boy by finding out his least favorite thing in the world...that's lemon juice (that's after he got immuned to the spray bottle). I also just recently found out, by letting him sniff the bottle (because he was curious), that he also doesn't like the smell of Vicks vaporub.

I so agree, do not dominate this baby! I have problems with this tactic for the
bully breed anyway and think only experienced trainers should attempt it.
I also disagree this behavior is aggressive, he is a baby. His mother & siblings
would be teaching him for the next THREE WEEKS on proper behavior. Yelp
loudly, grab his neck fur, give a lil shake & growl then release and walk away.
Leave him for a few minutes, do this every time. I'm sure it won't be an issue
long. Pictures please of your new lil love bug!

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse

I know when Ftse came home at 8 1/2 weeks he nipped us and seems most Bullies go through this but at five weeks I couldn't say as everyone has said they are usually still with their mother. Please post some pic's of your little one

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.