Only 5 weeks old and shows aggression...?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Re: Only 5 ½ weeks old and shows aggression...?

Well the breeder is an idiot. They could have kept him and his litter mates together to learn from each other and I would hope the breeder has others dogs for him to learn from unless they are a backyard breeder or puppy mill and just used the excuse to get rid of them so they don't have to spend so much money. Anyway, I'll get off my soap box. It is not aggression, it's just normal puppy play from one that has not been properly socialized. He doesn't know any better and has not learned how to properly bite. So you have to teach him, and as others have said, when he does that yelp loudly ans then tell him NO BITE! All pups love to bite, nip and play, but they need to learn there is a proper place to do it. Plus always offer a chew toy when he does want to bite. He will out grow this in time, just be patient and remember, he is just a baby and has never been taught how to be a puppy from his mama and litter mates.

Samantha Orts

Jul 12, 2013
TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
June

The day after we picked June up at 8 weeks, we took her to the vet. Since she was a cute baby bully puppy all the vet techs wanted to hold her. One girl held June up in the air and was squealing and June growled. She didn't like the shaking in the air and screaming in her ear. The vet told us she was aggressive and we needed to correct it immediately. Long story short we only saw that vet 1 more time before finding an experienced bulldog vet. June is the sweetest most affectionate (especially to people) dog. She was just a baby and didn't know what was going on. I agree with everyone else... he is just young and doesn't have manners yet. It took a few months for June to learn that biting us was not appropriate, but she eventually caught on. Persistence is key!

pattonsmom

Apr 9, 2014
CT
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
General Patton

Well the breeder is an idiot. They could have kept him and his litter mates together to learn from each other and I would hope the breeder has others dogs for him to learn from unless they are a backyard breeder or puppy mill and just used the excuse to get rid of them so they don't have to spend so much money. Anyway, I'll get off my soap box. It is not aggression, it's just normal puppy play from one that has not been properly socialized. He doesn't know any better and has not learned how to properly bite. So you have to teach him, and as others have said, when he does that yelp loudly ans then tell him NO BITE! All pups love to bite, nip and play, but they need to learn there is a proper place to do it. Plus always offer a chew toy when he does want to bite. He will out grow this in time, just be patient and remember, he is just a baby and has never been taught how to be a puppy from his mama and litter mates.

I agree. He was taken too young and didn't have the proper amount of socialization with his family. I am by no means an expert however I can speak from my person experience with Patton, who we also got too young at 7 weeks and he started with aggression immediately. We found a personal behavioralist who came to our home and trained us and him but mostly my boyfriend and I. Patton was nasty, very mean and growled and bit hard every single day. My advice is to looking into the proper training for you so you know what to do. Your baby will outgrow this. You have to be super patient and super consistent. There were days I would come home from work and cry because all he would do is try to bite me and hurt me. Fast forward to present day, Patton is 5 months and the sweetest most cuddly love bug you'll ever meet. All he wants to do is sit on the couch with you and hang out and lick your face. Sorry this is probably too long, I'm sorry, but if my dog can turn into the most loveable dog then there is hope for any dog. Training, patience, persistence and strick schedules are key. Best of luck and please send pics!!! I forgot what they look like that young!

eljeffe23

Apr 1, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bronson

This is just a guess, but I would assume that his mom would be correcting him for this type of behavior at this age. I would definitely flip him on his back and make him submit every time he exhibits this type of behavior.

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance

My bully was rejected by mom before he was 3weeks and he was the only one in his litter and brought him home at 8 weeks. He was a shark/piranha and is now 4 months old and yes he still bites not so hard and not nearly as often. Word of advice do not play tug a war with them until they have their adult teeth and know not to bite. So much great info here hope we can help and Welcome to the forum

OP
T

tkwill

Jun 17, 2014
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank

Thanks for all the wonderful advice. Hank will be 7 weeks tomorrow. He only growls when i pick him up to move him to another part of the house. And has bit me and drawn blood about 7 times. I am learning his likes and dislikes more and more. When i pick him up and i know he will be upset, i just tell him, "Hank love, love." in a soft loving voice and it helps a lot.

Someone mentioned tug-o-war and Hank likes to play that. I'm i confusing him by doing that?

Will he lose his baby teeth? Someone told me that some breed don't lose them. ~ A learning mommy.

pattonsmom

Apr 9, 2014
CT
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
General Patton

Of course every bully is different!! But when mine was smaller he hated to be picked up and he let you know he hated it! Hank may outgrow it like mine did. Now he doesn't seem to care one way or the other and I'm not saying he enjoys it but he just lets it happen!!

Mine is 5 months and his teeth have been falling out around my house. Not sure when everyone else experienced this but at 5 months that's what's going on with Patton and his teeth. His underbite just started to come out and his teeth show almost all the time now. I love it!

OP
T

tkwill

Jun 17, 2014
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank

I'm pretty sure he's angry when he snaps and bites me. He also swings his head from side to side to try and reach me and growling the whole time. Today we were laying on the couch and he wanted to lay on top of my head. I brought him back down to my lap and again he wanted to go back up to lay on my head. The second time i tried to bring him to my lap he started the growling and snapping. He was mad. I don't think he's even 5 pounds yet and thats the only reason i'm not scared.

OP
T

tkwill

Jun 17, 2014
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank

I agree. He was taken too young and didn't have the proper amount of socialization with his family. I am by no means an expert however I can speak from my person experience with Patton, who we also got too young at 7 weeks and he started with aggression immediately. We found a personal behavioralist who came to our home and trained us and him but mostly my boyfriend and I. Patton was nasty, very mean and growled and bit hard every single day. My advice is to looking into the proper training for you so you know what to do. Your baby will outgrow this. You have to be super patient and super consistent. There were days I would come home from work and cry because all he would do is try to bite me and hurt me. Fast forward to present day, Patton is 5 months and the sweetest most cuddly love bug you'll ever meet. All he wants to do is sit on the couch with you and hang out and lick your face. Sorry this is probably too long, I'm sorry, but if my dog can turn into the most loveable dog then there is hope for any dog. Training, patience, persistence and strick schedules are key. Best of luck and please send pics!!! I forgot what they look like that young!

Thank you!

Staff online

Members online