Swimming

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Hey everyone, I'm looking for the best way to get Rocco used to the pool and hopefully jump in on his own. I bought him a life jacket and I went in with him slowly. But he only wanted to get out as quick as he can and I don't want to keep traumatizing him.....so I ask, what did you do to get your bulldog to love the water? I understand it won't be instant but I wanna get on track here. Thanks!

e5ehunyt.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wow he looks great! Just wanted to say that, Buster hates the water and I don't know why. Nice vest!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Wow he looks great! Just wanted to say that, Buster hates the water and I don't know why. Nice vest!

I'm with Phil, Buster looks great, like a swimming pro :)

Cami hates the water too...heck, she hates outside anything!
Got her a lil wading pool...NOPE...hates it.

Good luck w/Buster...maybe bribe w/yummy treats?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
How about a floating raft? I don't have a pool, but maybe if it felt firm enough to him-you might start him out that way in the pool?

Walter323

Jun 11, 2012
Minnesota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus
Walter loves water and his pool, as long as it is only belly deep. Tried the life jacket thing in a calm lake, him no like.

image.jpg

santinomom

Jan 22, 2013
Rochester, New York
Bulldog(s) Names
Santino
Santino hates the water too!!!! Same thing.......bought a kiddie pool and had to return it the same day!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Chum is not a fan of the water either...he won't go near the pool or the ocean when we go to the beach at night..

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Some love it.... some tolerate it, some HATE it --- right [MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION]??

eljeffe23

Apr 1, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bronson
Start giving him regular baths in the tub and let him play, that really spurned my dog to start enjoying the water. But just like people it's different strokes for different folks, he may not ever like the water.

cbh142

Aug 4, 2012
Irwin, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Geno
Geno hates the pool. We bought him a baby pool last year hoping he would use it to cool off or have fun. We even tossed a treat in the pool to see if he would go in. He doesnt pass up treats for much, but still wouldn't get in.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Sorry, I'm no help with this subject, I have two who hate the water, they won't go anywhere near water. They don't even like going out for walks when it's raining. We tried a kiddie pool too last summer, but they didn't want anything to do with it, and the same when we have the sprinkler out. They will go in the bath, and will let us wash them, but they don't enjoy it, they sit at the far end of the tub, and look so sad. Lol. When I take Dozer to the bathroom when it's time for his bath, he knows he's going in the tub, and tries to run away.

Pitahamm

Jan 14, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Hamm
Fortunately or unfortunately my Bulldog seems to like the water. In fact, he has started going in the pool when we aren't even in it. I bought him a life jacket which he hates. We have a tanning ledge on our pool and he can stand in there. I have taken him out a bit and had him swim back which he did very well (better than my Golden who refuses to swim) but he prefers just walking around in the more shallow area.20140525_132239.jpgchillin with my homeboy.jpg

Julzz9170

Apr 15, 2014
New jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fatso, Romeo
My boys will will play at the edge of the ocean and the river but they don't like pools or deep water..the first Summer I had Fatso I took him to the lake at my moms and tricked him in and he still doesn't trust me

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
Chance is definitely a water dog he sticks his entire head under and plays in the tub for nearly an hour splashing everything. Perhaps if there were toys or other dogs who loved the water

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online