Help Needed! 6 month old, bitey bully!

karlajgee

Jun 13, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Murphy
I needed help with a question I had with my dog biting and wanted to know if it was normal (does your do do/did it?) and what I could do.

Murphy has a tendency to get a little aggressive at times and will continue to bite hands, arms, and feet. When he was younger, I kind of felt it was because he was teething so I wasn't as concerned but now he is about six months old so I am starting to worry. I have noticed that as he has gotten older, it's not as bad, but it still happens at least once a day. Mostly, I think I notice it happens more at night or when he has to go outside.

I feel like I have tried everything. I have tried being stern, saying 'no bites, or NO' and it seems like he gets more aggressive after hearing it. I have tried redirecting with treats and toys but that doesn't work. I walk him at least three times a day so it's not extra energy, I don't feel like. The only thing that seems to work is putting him in his crate when he is being naughty (it seems like it is what he wants) but I feel horrible doing it. Any suggestions or stories? I would love to hear them! Thank you!:)

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
Bocephus went through this phase too, he's eight months now and it has gotten so much better. I think they are still learning boundaries (although I am no expert). He still will occasionally get real mouthy when he's excited or wants extra attention. I try to be consistent with telling him"Gentle" and if he gets too worked up, I will out him on his back and place my hands on his belly until he clams down. I don't hold him down, I just make sure he knows that I am dominant to him.
I am sure others will be along as well, it's a completely normal phase.

OP
karlajgee

karlajgee

Jun 13, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Murphy
Ahhh, thank you! Makes me feel so much better that Murph's not the only one like that!

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
Chance was called the piranha but has gotten better but still far from not biting. Started classes last week and we were told to use time outs when ever he bit or was barking to much or any negative behaviour. A time out is when they are wearing a leash attached to a collar you then step on the leash about 6inches from the connection to the collar not quite enough room to stand. This forces the dog to lay down and become calm. At no time do you acknowledge them do your best to totally ignore them and once calm praise them then praise some more. This only works if you are consistent We are giving this a try and we were told that our next class consisted of touching your dog anywhere with out having them bite. Then we pass each other different persons dog and do the touch anywhere with them - I think i am worried for my class mates.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
It's very normal, it's a puppy phase, and they do outgrow it. Continue to be consistent, correct him, and redirect him with a toy or a chew toy. I like Ron's advice as well.

Mia Amor

Apr 30, 2014
Anaheim/ So Cal
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia aka Mia Amor (My love)
Chance was called the piranha but has gotten better but still far from not biting. Started classes last week and we were told to use time outs when ever he bit or was barking to much or any negative behaviour. A time out is when they are wearing a leash attached to a collar you then step on the leash about 6inches from the connection to the collar not quite enough room to stand. This forces the dog to lay down and become calm. At no time do you acknowledge them do your best to totally ignore them and once calm praise them then praise some more. This only works if you are consistent We are giving this a try and we were told that our next class consisted of touching your dog anywhere with out having them bite. Then we pass each other different persons dog and do the touch anywhere with them - I think i am worried for my class mates.
Please let us know how this goes I really want to know if Chance got through it or not. Mia is now 3 months and I feel like I have Marley from Marley and me just on jaws mode. lol would love to know how these classes go. I want to out Mia is but I am waiting till she has her 3rd set of shots. pls pls let me know of these classes work.

Sent from S4 (Mia)

tankgrrrrl

Jun 13, 2014
Country
CANADA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.President
Mr.President is 8 weeks old and I've had him for 5 day's. I find the hour before bed or just before he is about to pass out he bites anything and everything within sight. I try correcting at first, following up with redirecting to an appropriate chew toy and if he is biting me repeatedly then ignoring. I know not to expect results immediately so I just try to remain consistent and remember he will outgrow this even if it takes a few months. I vaguely remember my boxer going through this 10 years ago. I can't remember how long it lasted but it went from constantly mouthing or biting things to "be nice" which turned into just licking instead of biting. It can be frustrating so I just remind myself that he is a baby and is adjusting to our way of life. Take it one day at a time! You are not alone!

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Any number of reasons why this dog could be nipping at this stage. Most often I find there is some combination of attention seeking, frustration, arousal, and perhaps the behaviour has been inadvertently reinforced in the past. Usually teething would be finished by 6 months but every dog "grows up" differently -the shark teeth might be gone but your bully is still a pup so be consistent with what you are doing xx

Reinforcing lots of calm behaviour, teaching the dog incompatible behaviours, and making sure the dog has access to appropriate chew toys are all useful. In the short term, making the dog work hard to extract meals from frozen kongs can be helpful to keep that mouth busy doing something other than biting people

Yelping when puppy bites you

This is something a litter mate would do to indicate that the play was too rough, the theory is if you imitate the noise puppy will stop. This never worked for mine and if anything made them worse.

Distraction

When puppy goes to bite you, distract them with a toy that they are allowed to bite. I would always keep a toy on me and when I saw My pupps needle teeth swooping in I would quickly put the toy between him and me and he would start to bite the toy. He would get lots of praise and a treat and off he would potter with his toy.

Ignoring

Exactly what it says on the tin, if puppy is biting and will not be distracted or stop after yelping. Stand up tuck your hands under your armpits and walk out of the room leaving puppy alone and only return once they have calmed down. This one takes a lot of repetition before they associate " If I bite Mummy leaves"

The best piece of advice I was given while trying to get over the nipping / biting stage is absolutely no rough play , from anyone in the family. If you are consistent and firm puppy should get there in the end.

Calm down time
Try and keep your baby calm ,as i mentioned before they can get hyperactive and play bite you , speak softly and try to create calm and relax environment -i usually speak softly about lilly favourite toy -ball

10 min time out
If everything fails putting dogs in a 10 min time out is my last resort ,i dont acknowledge nor speak to my dogs , the "nutty " state of mind eventually calms down

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Any number of reasons why this dog could be nipping at this stage. Most often I find there is some combination of attention seeking, frustration, arousal, and perhaps the behaviour has been inadvertently reinforced in the past. Usually teething would be finished by 6 months but every dog "grows up" differently -the shark teeth might be gone but your bully is still a pup so be consistent with what you are doing xx

Reinforcing lots of calm behaviour, teaching the dog incompatible behaviours, and making sure the dog has access to appropriate chew toys are all useful. In the short term, making the dog work hard to extract meals from frozen kongs can be helpful to keep that mouth busy doing something other than biting people

This is something a litter mate would do to indicate that the play was too rough, the theory is if you imitate the noise puppy will stop. This never worked for mine and if anything made them worse.

Distraction

When puppy goes to bite you, distract them with a toy that they are allowed to bite. I would always keep a toy on me and when I saw My pupps needle teeth swooping in I would quickly put the toy between him and me and he would start to bite the toy. He would get lots of praise and a treat and off he would potter with his toy.

Ignoring

Exactly what it says on the tin, if puppy is biting and will not be distracted or stop after yelping. Stand up tuck your hands under your armpits and walk out of the room leaving puppy alone and only return once they have calmed down. This one takes a lot of repetition before they associate " If I bite Mummy leaves"

The best piece of advice I was given while trying to get over the nipping / biting stage is absolutely no rough play , from anyone in the family. If you are consistent and firm puppy should get there in the end.

Calm down time
Try and keep your baby calm ,as i mentioned before they can get hyperactive and play bite you , speak softly and try to create calm and relax environment -i usually speak softly about lilly favourite toy -ball

10 min time out
If everything fails putting dogs in a 10 min time out is my last resort ,i dont acknowledge nor speak to my dogs , the "nutty " state of mind eventually calms down

:goodpost:

OP
karlajgee

karlajgee

Jun 13, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Murphy
Well thanks for all the great tips. Ill try to find something that works for us and and be consistent! :)

pattonsmom

Apr 9, 2014
CT
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
General Patton

Distraction

Ignoring

Calm down time

10 min time out

Well said! I agree with everything because I have tried everything and with the exception of yelping when he bites us (that never worked for me) everything else eventually with patience and repeition worked and transformed my wild child into a gentleman.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Distraction

Ignoring

Calm down time

10 min time out

^^^^ excellent info!!

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Ruckus went through a Sharky phase. He'd chew your fingers, your shoes (even if you were wearing them), furniture, te wall, and so on. We kept correcting him and sticking chew toys in his mouth to redirect his need to nibble. He's about 15 months old now and has completely grown out of it. He will chew the occasional item left on the couch unattended, but he doesn't play bite anymore and I can finally buy nice furniture again!

Most Reactions