Aggressive bulldog

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
I definitely suggest getting a trainer/behaviorist if the problem is progressing. One suggestion I have though is that you don't necessarily want to prevent him from growling all the time -- if there really is danger or he feels frightened then that's how he communicates. From time to time Ruckus will bark or growl at something (mainly garbage trucks and loud music) and then look at me as if to say "hey mom, uh I'm not so sure about this, what's your take?" and he learned that if I told him "it's ok, good boy" that there wasn't danger and he generally stops the warning.

OP
jimmyjj

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
I definitely suggest getting a trainer/behaviorist if the problem is progressing. One suggestion I have though is that you don't necessarily want to prevent him from growling all the time -- if there really is danger or he feels frightened then that's how he communicates. From time to time Ruckus will bark or growl at something (mainly garbage trucks and loud music) and then look at me as if to say "hey mom, uh I'm not so sure about this, what's your take?" and he learned that if I told him "it's ok, good boy" that there wasn't danger and he generally stops the warning.

before this started diesel would play bark but I have never heard him growl, he was badly attacked in February / early march time by a banned breed in the uk. He was shook up bad, his first growl was after that in the vets, but as the days went on he became chilled again,
we got the pups and went walks, one night he didn't want to sleep at my side of the bed he wanted to go with the pups,
if I take him out with Gucci ( chihuahua ) he's cool with other dogs, when the pups are there he's different.
His life story in a nutshell lol

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Start from a quiet spot when he can observe passers by wile on the walk with pups -give him treats for calm behaviour , it will take time and a bit of work but its worth trying to do something
I forgot to mention to remain calm yourself but [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] got you covered here xx

OP
jimmyjj

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
Start from a quiet spot when he can observe passers by wile on the walk with pups -give him treats for calm behaviour , it will take time and a bit of work but its worth trying to do something
I forgot to mention to remain calm yourself but @2BullyMama got you covered here xx
[MENTION=9105]Pati Robins[/MENTION]. [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]
Thanks both xxx
tomorrows a new day, all advice noted and will be put into action

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
[MENTION=9105]Pati Robins[/MENTION]. [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]
Thanks both xxx
tomorrows a new day, all advice noted and will be put into action

Look at it this way - im still trying to teach Shy to walk nice on a leash and stop her squeaking like im murdering her at the beginning of a walk -since 2013 ;-) lol

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
Protective of the pups, learning his new role in the pack maybe?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.