agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
Diesel is the coolest, calmest bully around.
I am guessing the USA is the same as the UK regarding people loving pups. Everyone stops for a fuss at the pups but if they have another dog diesel growls at them and pulls towards them. This started about 4 nights ago and it's not him, is he over protective ?
Jealous ? Or just grumpy. He is 2 at the end of July.

OP
jimmyjj

jimmyjj

Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
Thanks.

How do I stop it. Diesel knows I really don't like it but he does it regardless

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
How does he act with other dogs NOT his siblings? If he is good with them, I would say just keep redirecting him. Maybe treat him when he stops the behavior. When he does this growling and lungeing, pull him back, put him in a sit/ stay command and tell him sternly NO. Then when he sits/ stays treat him. He will get it pretty quick that this is the behavior you expect from him.

The darn link dissappeared from my previous post. It is called Protective Aggression if you want to read it.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I believe Diesel is being over-protective of you and the pups. Behavioral training when it comes to growling is always a tricky one for me b/c you don't want to teach Diesel that growling is a "bad" thing. Growling serves its purposes as a warning afterall. My bully Finn is a growler as well but I have not yet mastered the fine line between when it's "okay" to growl and when it isn't. Hoping someone will be able to help out with this one, Jimmy!

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I am by no means a behaviorist, so I am only able to give my opinion. That said, I think your dog should be able to react to your signals. If you are walking and you come upon someone who is deemed friendly by you the human, you are going to give off different signals that your dog will pick up than if you saw someone walking that you found odd or threatening. I hope this helps you Jimmy.

OP
jimmyjj

jimmyjj

Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
[MENTION=9370]brutus77[/MENTION] it helps loads. I ll read the Link when I get my littlest monster to bed !!!!!'

B

Baxter Tiberius

I am about to hire a trainer because baxter's leash behavior is unacceptable to me. He only wants to play but he also lunges full force towards every single dog when he's on a leash. That means every time we go out, he gets snapped at, growled at, and I feel embarassed. The suggestions above might work with your pup. Baxter completely ignores me when he's in such a situation. If I physically turn him around, it takes all my body weight because he couldn't care less and wants to play and lunge.

The thread she tried to link to above was moreso about me being absent (good behavior) followed by me being present (aggressive behavior). This is something different I think. There's a whole different dynamic when your dog is on a leash. Primarily because they know they are being restrained. I have seen many passive dogs become aggressive on a leash, simply because they subconsciously know they can't freely run away. They know they're shackled. So they can tend to act more aggressive.

Baxter when off leash, never lunges at any dog. He trots up to them and slowly approaches as he should. The leash somehow changes his behavior. This is why I will hire a trainer soon. Nothing I do - treats or otherwise, can get him off his "lock" on the other dog when on he's lunging to play. I am totally ignored. I could do what Ceasar Milan does and jab him on the back/side while making a noise, but I guarantee people will look at me in horror like im abusing him.

-B-

Mia Amor

Apr 30, 2014
Anaheim/ So Cal
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia aka Mia Amor (My love)
I am about to hire a trainer because baxter's leash behavior is unacceptable to me. He only wants to play but he also lunges full force towards every single dog when he's on a leash. That means every time we go out, he gets snapped at, growled at, and I feel embarassed. The suggestions above might work with your pup. Baxter completely ignores me when he's in such a situation. If I physically turn him around, it takes all my body weight because he couldn't care less and wants to play and lunge.

The thread she tried to link to above was moreso about me being absent (good behavior) followed by me being present (aggressive behavior). This is something different I think. There's a whole different dynamic when your dog is on a leash. Primarily because they know they are being restrained. I have seen many passive dogs become aggressive on a leash, simply because they subconsciously know they can't freely run away. They know they're shackled. So they can tend to act more aggressive.

Baxter when off leash, never lunges at any dog. He trots up to them and slowly approaches as he should. The leash somehow changes his behavior. This is why I will hire a trainer soon. Nothing I do - treats or otherwise, can get him off his "lock" on the other dog when on he's lunging to play. I am totally ignored. I could do what Ceasar Milan does and jab him on the back/side while making a noise, but I guarantee people will look at me in horror like im abusing him.

-B-
Just want to know if Baxter was OK as a puppy and then all of a sudden changed? Also when do you think he made the big change?

Sent from S4 (Mia)

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Thanks Tracy for tagging me in
First of all there isnt much info how your bully is acting , especially his body language so i will go over what i learned having foster dogs
First on my list would would be a trip to the Vet's if this is a sudden difference of behavior I'd rule out any under lying health issues.
The problem might also be caused because your bully might mix with enough other dogs as a young puppy enough, or he had a break from mixing .
Also he is growing up and hitting a new stage ,his behaviour might also change -the trick is -"back to basics"
For avoiding growling & lunging I would suggest starting in a quiet safe place teach an "Ignore!" command :
Point to something so the dog notices it
Waft treat and then offer it just behind shoulder of dog so it turns head and looks your wayGive it, and then keep your dogs attention on you (toy may help)
Once the dog turns the head expecting the treat add a cue like "Ignore!" and phase out the pointingSoon the dog looks for the treat on cueWork with greater distractions but not too much too soonLater you can try with more stressing distractions, like dogs walking on opposite side of the road etc, and gradually approach closer and closer, even go past animals to chase, with the safe walking system. I need to add here that you must keep the dog calm enough, to stay in control of self. If the dog looses interest in the treats, it's a sign of being over worked out
When it comes to pointing out that dog might act "protective of you," i think of it this way a confident dog would have no need to behave like that -they can detect when a "real" threat is approaching

OP
jimmyjj

jimmyjj

Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
Thanks Tracy for tagging me in
First of all there isnt much info how your bully is acting , especially his body language so i will go over what i learned having foster dogs
First on my list would would be a trip to the Vet's if this is a sudden difference of behavior I'd rule out any under lying health issues.
The problem might also be caused because your bully might mix with enough other dogs as a young puppy enough, or he had a break from mixing .
Also he is growing up and hitting a new stage ,his behaviour might also change -the trick is -"back to basics"
For avoiding growling & lunging I would suggest starting in a quiet safe place teach an "Ignore!" command :
Point to something so the dog notices it
Waft treat and then offer it just behind shoulder of dog so it turns head and looks your wayGive it, and then keep your dogs attention on you (toy may help)
Once the dog turns the head expecting the treat add a cue like "Ignore!" and phase out the pointingSoon the dog looks for the treat on cueWork with greater distractions but not too much too soonLater you can try with more stressing distractions, like dogs walking on opposite side of the road etc, and gradually approach closer and closer, even go past animals to chase, with the safe walking system. I need to add here that you must keep the dog calm enough, to stay in control of self. If the dog looses interest in the treats, it's a sign of being over worked out
When it comes to pointing out that dog might act "protective of you," i think of it this way a confident dog would have no need to behave like that -they can detect when a "real" threat is approaching

thanks pati
it happened again today. I think it's the pups he's protecting. I let him know I wasn't happy with him .
I ll try with some of the points you gave me and hope it works. I don't want the pups to think this behaviour is ok.

OP
jimmyjj

jimmyjj

Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
Update.
I started to take diesel out alone on our regular walking route before we took the pups out. I hoped if we bumped into another dog I would gauge how diesel is. After the walk we go back and we take all dogs.
What I have found is diesel only shows aggression when the pups are there ?
I am trying my best to manage it

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Update.
I started to take diesel out alone on our regular walking route before we took the pups out. I hoped if we bumped into another dog I would gauge how diesel is. After the walk we go back and we take all dogs.
What I have found is diesel only shows aggression when the pups are there ?
I am trying my best to manage it

follow Pati's advice and also keep in mind.... if you are tense or thnking/anticipating this behavior, he knows it and feels he has to 'protect'. Try not to think about it and just enjoy the walk

OP
jimmyjj

jimmyjj

Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
follow Pati's advice and also keep in mind.... if you are tense or thnking/anticipating this behavior, he knows it and feels he has to 'protect'. Try not to think about it and just enjoy the walk

Thanks [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.